News Brett Montgomery

Remove this Banner Ad

Won't somebody please think of the café?!

hqdefault.jpg

Always seems a central factor in these debates.

And for those who questioned Gordon's integrity by questioning his willingness to move Monty on due to 'the cafe' - well you have your answer.

Say what you want about Gordon - as long as it is accompanied by ruthless.

Hi guys. Really worrying news reading about the cafe. Is it possible that it will close? A club without a cafe in 2016 is a joke. How can we expect to play with the big boys if there is no cafe?

One thing that confuses me is people asking what will happen to the cafe. If his wife is part owner, I don't see how Monty leaving will effect the cafe. Unless Mrs.Monty hates money or something?
It's all tongue in cheek.
Monty is pissed with the club so she will more than likely leave too. Have been told she will.

No big deal.

Lindsey Gilbee anyone ? All I know is he's at st Kilda so has been away from the club as people want.

Side note I did notice a bigger input from ash Hanson at training on Tuesday.
Hansen to first assistant and Gia to VFL coach in 17? Opens up a spot for a new forward coach.

Hansen to first assistant and Gia to VFL coach in 17? Opens up a spot for a new forward coach.
Gia want to coach in his own right and will in time do very well Imo. Him coaching the VFL side is something I've thought he'd do at some point, it'll be good for his development.

In time he will need to leave and gain experience else were.

Lindsey Gilbee anyone ? All I know is he's at st Kilda so has been away from the club as people want.

Side note I did notice a bigger input from ash Hanson at training on Tuesday.
Gilbee is currently under Rowan Welsh who is the defensive coach at the Saints. He's in that role along with Peta Searl and one other I can't remember.

I reckon he'd want to run a line before becoming a senior assistant. Personally I like the idea of Gia taking over and someone else becomes the forward coach. Hanson could fill the role too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't be promoting anybody from within the club into a senior assistant role to be honest. I think we need to bring across some really exceptional talent from another club, and it's harder to lure them to a line coaching role than it is to a senior assistant role.

If we're going poaching, the three names I would be looking at for a SA role (based on nothing other than reputations of creating great forward synergy and offensive strategy) are Blake Caracella (GEE), David Teague (ADE) and Damian Carroll (HAW). Not sure on availability etc but all three are currently line coaches, and would have a greater role here.

I wouldn't be promoting anybody from within the club into a senior assistant role to be honest. I think we need to bring across some really exceptional talent from another club, and it's harder to lure them to a line coaching role than it is to a senior assistant role.

If we're going poaching, the three names I would be looking at for a SA role (based on nothing other than reputations of creating great forward synergy and offensive strategy) are Blake Caracella (GEE), David Teague (ADE) and Damian Carroll (HAW). Not sure on availability etc but all three are currently line coaches, and would have a greater role here.
It really depends on the person. Sometimes within works, sometimes it doesn't. The best for the job should get it whether within or external. We've already shown we believe in this when we overlooked Monty for Bev.

After it was pointed out there were problems down at the cafe over the pre season it appears all the problems that arise down at the club have,in some way, a link back to the cafe and frankly I'm sick of it. When Stevenson left due to his American approach of sticking cheese on everything,whether it was asked for or not,I thought this sorry saga was finally going to end but apparently not. I don't see the point of hiring a new assistant coach until this mess is sorted out.
We would be better off spending the money to hire Gordon Ramsay to come down and tell some of these cafe types a few home truths. This whole cheesegate shenanigans needs to be put to bed if we are a fair dinkum club that wants to win a flag.

It really depends on the person. Sometimes within works, sometimes it doesn't. The best for the job should get it whether within or external. We've already shown we believe in this when we overlooked Monty for Bev.
Fair call. In my view our current group have failed to get the offensive/defensive balance right in both of Bev's years so far and to me that hints at a need for some fresh blood and new ideas. Think it would be far easier to bring that in if we're offering a senior job rather than a role as a line coach. But yes, agree that the best man or woman available should get it.

Liaises between all and the players. A lot of the time they will be the coach on the bench on game day too. A good senior assistant is a must.

Hmmm... Not too sure about that HBG [Paticularly if I was paying his wage]. I'd love to read the PD for the position and to understand how it fits into the Football Management structure

HaHa - If the position is essential [and I am not sure it is] then we certainly need to search for the best one;)
It's vital. It's bloody important at local level so I can only imagine how important it is at AFL level.

FWIW finding someone on the same page is equally important as finding a great coach in my opinion.

How good is this cafe?

If it has eggs benedict or smashed avocado, or all of that simple s**t it isnt good enough for the modern football club. Need to spruce that mofo up!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back