Preview Brisbane Lions v Geelong Round 6 (Saturday 20 April 7:30PM @ Gabba)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think he is the best sub option but he's also not the worst of whats available. As long as they bring him on and throw him straight on ball to make an impact. And agree that the biggest issues with his lack of defensive running ability should be lessened by only playing ~1 quarter (we hope)

I dont think he is the best sub option but he's also not the worst of whats available. As long as they bring him on and throw him straight on ball to make an impact. And agree that the biggest issues with his lack of defensive running ability should be lessened by only playing ~1 quarter (we hope)

Even a few years back he tended to finish games stronger when players tended to tire and there was a lack of run

Can only assume our biggest fear is not matching them in contested footy, not that it's been a strength of JL this year. Either that or simply he's rated as the next best midfielder we have

No, just no.

The cardiac ward does not need extra business.
I hope Charlie kicks a point and we win by 8. Goals.

AND Charlie doesn't get his cranky pants on, instead doing all the team things like chasing, tackling and smothering, staying down in marking contests and getting front and centre, and giving to his team mates in better positions. So everyone who actually knows footy is really happy/impressed with his game.

And anyway his point is actually a goal that the video review overturns on literally zero evidence. As we've seen happen often at the Gabba and also against Geelong at times. Which would have given us a 53 point win.

Now THAT would be glorious.

Possibly. If it's a congested game though, the danger is lessened. I'm firmly in the camp that sees JL as not best 22 anymore, but in this case, having him start is the way I'd lean. I've always thought his goal sense is pretty good (when given the chance), so could see him slotting into Bailey's role to some degree. Maybe it's because I'm not totally sold on Jimmy T just yet.

Holmes is the worst possible matchup for Lyons, even with conditions equalising things. One of the best runners in the entire comp.

I'm not sold on Jimmy T either, but with JL being announced as the sub its a bit of a moot point now.

Lyons as the sub is fine if we get through unscathed, I would of preferred either of Bruce Reville, Dev Robertson as the sub.

What happened re Conor McKenna, I thought he was available for this game, interesting to see if he is named in the reserves or we are just being ultra cautious and giving him another week off with the 5 day break going into the Giants away game.

Even a few years back he tended to finish games stronger when players tended to tire and there was a lack of run

Can only assume our biggest fear is not matching them in contested footy, not that it's been a strength of JL this year. Either that or simply he's rated as the next best midfielder we have
I think its the second, we seem to pick our sub as the 23rd best player more than any other reason and then just use them as they can.

While his contested work tends to get better and better as the game has run on and players get tired, thats never been the issue (I am certain, pending how much game time he gets, he will rack up the ball as quick as anyone on the team). Its always been what happens when the ball moves away from the contest and players run off him.

Last edited:
I think its the second, we seem to pick our sub as the 23rd best player more than any other reason and then just use them as they can.

While his contested work tends to get better and better as the game has run on and players get tired, thats never been the issue (I am certain, pending how much game time he gets, he will rack up the ball as quick as anyone on the team). Its always been what happens when the ball moves away from the contest and players run off him.
I think the positive is if he is thrown on in the middle he doesn’t take time to get warm - i think small forward subs seem to really struggle getting the pace and feel of the game somehow. Lyons is an old pro so he can give his best (albeit not what it once was) immediately

I think the positive is if he is thrown on in the middle he doesn’t take time to get warm - i think small forward subs seem to really struggle getting the pace and feel of the game somehow. Lyons is an old pro so he can give his best (albeit not what it once was) immediately
The whole discussion reminds me a bit of cricket. When T20 became a thing everyone was like "oh this game is made for the young guys who can just come in and bash and crash from ball 1". But the longer it's gone the older blokes are far more impactful more regularly.

Particularly bowlers. For starters they only have to bowl 4 overs. But also they're likely to have better emotional control, be able to put aside what has come before and focus on what's next.

Maybe the same is true in footy... A young bloke sitting on the pine for 3 quarters perhaps struggles to "switch on" immediately, whereas an experienced veteran can more easily click into gear. Kind of like how they don't need to do the same preseason that the younger guys do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lyons as the sub is fine if we get through unscathed, I would of preferred either of Bruce Reville, Dev Robertson as the sub.

What happened re Conor McKenna, I thought he was available for this game, interesting to see if he is named in the reserves or we are just being ultra cautious and giving him another week off with the 5 day break going into the Giants away game.
Like you, I guess Conor gets a light run in the twos to make sure he’s fully recovered.

Jared's ok. He's reliable. Plays a role. He won't be the difference. Like Gardiner.... And Lester for that matter. Known quantities.

The whole discussion reminds me a bit of cricket. When T20 became a thing everyone was like "oh this game is made for the young guys who can just come in and bash and crash from ball 1". But the longer it's gone the older blokes are far more impactful more regularly.

Particularly bowlers. For starters they only have to bowl 4 overs. But also they're likely to have better emotional control, be able to put aside what has come before and focus on what's next.

Maybe the same is true in footy... A young bloke sitting on the pine for 3 quarters perhaps struggles to "switch on" immediately, whereas an experienced veteran can more easily click into gear. Kind of like how they don't need to do the same preseason that the younger guys do.
That's exactly why at the start of the year I was advocating for Zorko to be a sub option (now we need his ball use out of the backline to move him out). I feel like he is exactly that sort of veteran that knows exactly how to impact the game immediately no matter where we would have needed him

These pressers are 🔥

More entertaining than match day.

“THEN INTERVIEW THE TRIBUNAL NOT ME!”

Had me in stitches.

Angry Madness GIF by reactionseditor

Last edited:
After 30 odd touches by Dev last week in the Vfl, I don't know that JL offers anything that Dev can't. But Dev does offer more mobility. Although I do think another full game in the vfl will be of more benefit to Dev than a qtr as sub. So I can see the thinking behind bringing in Lyons. Another big performance by Dev in the Vfl should have him closer to earning a call up to the firsts with an ongoing role, especially if Tunstill fails to impress.

The other options often mentioned, Reville, Sharp, I believe need to rack up more consistent numbers and be more influential in Vfl games before they earn a call up. We can't just be giving them games just because they are a like for like replacement. If we were undefeated and going swimmingly sure but not when our season is still on tenderhooks. And re a promotion to be eligible for selection for Reville or Brain I don't think that will happen till mid season draft time. And that would only happen if we can't find better to replace Kiddy or Doedee in that draft.

Very glad McKenna given another week to recover and given a game in the Vfl to regain some touch and test his hammy. Should pay dividends in the long run.

Overall, a solid team selected. Should be good enough to beat Geelong regardless of rain or not. The desire to win at home should also draw the same attitude and commitment that was so strong v Melb. Hoping for a good win, 24 points, but Geelong are a good team in good form. Can't be off our game.

Back line is working well, no need to stuff with it until he is well and truly fit and in form.

Bailey had 8 Centre Bounce Attendances last week and Neale is playing on one leg. We need a pure mid to support Neale and lessen his workload. That isn’t Tunstill.

How have you been Nunez? Getting to gigs? I’ve got Nick Cave and Colin Greenwood coming up and after that Radio Birdman. Looking forward to both shows.
I saw Radio Birdman with the Hoodoo Gurus years ago in Bris. Can't remember where but it had a pretty wild vibe about it. Had a big night.

I miss seeing a good live band. Punk, Ska, Alternative my leaning, but always loved a good Aussie pub band.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back