Preview Brisbane Lions vs North Melbourne – Saturday 20/07/19, 7:25pm at the GABBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bailey struggling? Can’t agree there. He adds pace and tackling pressure with his energetic chases. I would think he would be in front of an unlucky Keays who performed admirably against Port.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yes Bailey made a couple of mistakes but we keep forgetting how few games these young fellas have played. Every game gives them more experience on what NOT to do. Adds something different when he is in the forward line. Yes whoever misses out this week will be unlucky. Thought Keays had his best game for us. Seemed to really be up with the pace of the game which he previously has struggled with.

Yes Bailey made a couple of mistakes but we keep forgetting how few games these young fellas have played. Every game gives them more experience on what NOT to do. Adds something different when he is in the forward line. Yes whoever misses out this week will be unlucky. Thought Keays had his best game for us. Seemed to really be up with the pace of the game which he previously has struggled with.
Keays stays for me. He was instrumental in several passages that resulted in goals. It was his best game this year in my opinion and deserves his spot. Bailey, Walker & Adams the outs, Hodge, McCluggage (the golden child) & Hipwood the ins

Bailey struggling? Can’t agree there. He adds pace and tackling pressure with his energetic chases. I would think he would be in front of an unlucky Keays who performed admirably against Port.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bailey seems to chop and change throughout the game, popping up both down back and up forward while using his speed to get into space. Don't mind his efforts and versatility. Keays is still a bit of a one trick pony, though I don't intend as a slight on him as performed that trick quite well on the weekend.

Absolutely lionshine! Can I also take the opportunity to say how great it is to see some of our longtime posters like yourself in our game threads. It reminds me of all the hard years we went through after the “Glory Years” and how we have stuck with our team. Like many, I went to the Richmond game last year with my kids (Family Member) and for me, that was an absolute low point. I knew I could never support another team, but in a moment of despair I did say the boys could barrack for whoever they like. Nunez will remember that because he voted to lynch me. Anyway, the boys elected to stay with my team and stick with Brisbane. Great choice as it turns out. I knew we were going to improve this year, but never in my wildest dreams did I think we would turn it around so quickly. Fagan is an absolute genius and we are so lucky to have him as a coach. Despite our occasional niggles about selection and a few personality clashes, our board is a really good one and as we head towards September, let’s all celebrate what we have achieved and come together and pool our Good Karma to get the Lions a Premiership in 2019. Our players have such amazing character and they deserve it.

Cue Kumbaya.

P.S. If you are not a member this year, it’s not too late. Otherwise We all need to make sure we renew memberships for 2020 and join up if you haven’t been a member or have lapsed.

Haha mate, I'm still waiting for the opportunity to lynch you.

Keays stays for me. He was instrumental in several passages that resulted in goals. It was his best game this year in my opinion and deserves his spot. Bailey, Walker & Adams the outs, Hodge, McCluggage (the golden child) & Hipwood the ins

Walker and Adams for Hodge and Hipwood. Bailey will complement the defense with pace so it's likely he'll stay. Keays will go for Clugga unfortunately.

We now have depth so we don't need to rush players back in.

Obviously Hodge will be right to go but our structures are such as no risks should be taken with McCluggage. Hammies often recur and we want Clugga playing at his peak in the finals.

Don't know much about Hipwood's injury. It looked like an ankle on the TV but, once again, if there is any chance he could do it again if he is played too soon, have another week off son. We have about fifteen goal kickers so I don't see any urgency.

Brisbane Lions

Get them in: Veteran Luke Hodge had the feet up for a rest last week but is ready to return against North Melbourne. The NEAFL team had a bye at the weekend.
Under the pump: Only two matches in, and he was part of a strong back-seven against Port Adelaide, but Marcus Adams is still finding his feet. Zac Bailey is also struggling a touch.
Medical room: Classy midfielder Hugh McCluggage (hamstring) and tall forward Eric Hipwood (knee) both have to pass tests but are a chance to play after missing last weekend.
Verdict: A lot will depend on the fitness of McCluggage and Hipwood. If they're available, it would come at the expense of either Bailey or the unlucky Ben Keays to cover McCluggage and Josh Walker for McCluggage, who both performed admirably against Port. Hodge's return will mean either Adams or Ryan Lester will have to make way, depending on defensive match-ups. – Michael Whiting

From the AFL Website. Could someone please tell Michael Whiting that there is ZERO chance that Ryan Lester will be dropped. ZERO! Also WHITING ... get the AFL to provide you with a decent editor. I know McCluggage is good, but he won’t replace two players you goose.
I haven't been on this board for long but as a nipper I watched Fitzroy lose every game bar one or two for four years so there's certainly been no turning since then . There is a vast underbelly of Fitzroy supporters ,their families and many who've been roped in since who will make the MCG rock if we get to play there in a final.

The jumper resembling the Fitzroy one is the best in the competition and our brand in Melbourne has actually blossomed since Fitzroy became the latte location of choice. The AFL made a huge mistake in not supporting the club then , as a club we can harness that us against them mentality and build the brand this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One more thing. What are peoples prediction on the crowd for the game on Saturday night?

Twenty to thirty thousand?
Lions Insider says 22kish on the LI thread
North don't have much of a following in Brisbane.
Our average home crowd this year is 23,478 so anything over that will be good.

Bailey seems to chop and change throughout the game, popping up both down back and up forward while using his speed to get into space. Don't mind his efforts and versatility. Keays is still a bit of a one trick pony, though I don't intend as a slight on him as performed that trick quite well on the weekend.
I had Ben earmarked as a possible delisting/trade at year's end but that performance, while not earth shattering, was the first time I have seen him look really comfortable at the senior level. And you get the impression there is a lot more improvement to come. Bailey's speed makes up for some of his brain fades and he too has a lot of growth left no doubt. The coaches clearly love having Bailey in the team and if the three players are to come in you would think Keays misses.

Surely you've overlooked the performance of Umpire 41 [?] in the V Collingwood game. This was the worst effort [sic] I've seen in many years. I'm not that fixated to have followed his no doubt illustrious career but if this nob wasn't sent back to umpire outer Woop Woop seconds I'd be surprised.

The thing is it wouldn't have in any way changed the result, but it was still totally appalling officiating.

The three umpires on that night were Williamson, Rosebery and Fleer. None of them have a 4 or a 1 in their number. The emergency is an umpire on the rookie list (Adair) and he wears 42. I thought the umpiring was fine that night. There were a couple score review errors but that has nothing to do with the three on field.

I’m happy to change my opinion if you have a lot of examples.

Going up for this game. It’s also my brothers birthday, haven’t been to the Gabba in ages and I was going to get him a ticket to the xxxx mates place.... stand up bar on level two? Anyone been there? Any good?

Also do they serve full strength at night games?

Cheers guys

Go lions

I had Ben earmarked as a possible delisting/trade at year's end but that performance, while not earth shattering, was the first time I have seen him look really comfortable at the senior level. And you get the impression there is a lot more improvement to come. Bailey's speed makes up for some of his brain fades and he too has a lot of growth left no doubt. The coaches clearly love having Bailey in the team and if the three players are to come in you would think Keays misses.
I had my mind made up that Ben would never really make a senior player but changed my mind after last week. He has clearly matured and is wise to the modern game . Some of his kicks to position were excellent ,he also showed a lot more pace to get to the opposition with the ball than I ever thought he had.. I'd keep him on the list for sure .

He's only 22 . Seen too many mistakes in letting guys go who improve in leaps and bounds . I really think he's on the improve. Could be valuable with a few unwanted injuries.

I thought Walker played a really important role against Port,along with McStay,by negating their intercept markers which have been a major strength of Port this year. I wouldn’t be surprised if he is used in the same way this week against Tarrant who starts a heap of attacks from half back with his intercept marking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back