Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
in a house
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Howdy Guys,

Can anyone remember the exact way that these 3 players got to Richmond. I thought a couple of them were grabbed as a compensation pick as uncontracted players by Richmond ( not winning many games, sort of a pre-priority pick ). They think that Broderick, Gale and Dundas were traded for Jeff Hogg. Surely you wouldn't have traded 3 players ( and 2 good ones) for a hack like Hogg. Sorry for the intrusion but hoping you can help. The thread is on the main board ; "Priority Picks to be changed, what should be done?" (page 5).

From memory, Dundas, Broderick and Jamie Elliot went to Richmond in exchange for Jeffrey Hogg, whilst Baldwin was picked up in the draft after the merger. However, I stand to be corrected!

Broderick, Gale & Dundas were traded to Richmond for Hogg. Broderick had been testing the market to see what he could be paid at another club. Robert Shaw took that as a sign of disloyalty, so was prepared to trade him, even though he'd been 3rd in Fitzroy's B&F in 1993. Gale wanted to play in the same team as his brother, who was at Richmond. Gale was a good player for the Roys, but missed a lot of games through injury. He started doing Pilates at Richmond & that helped him to manage his injuries a lot better. Dundas was just an ordinary player & was probably added to the deal to reduce Fitzroy's overall salaries, so we could afford Hogg & Craig Lambert, who was also supposed to be part of the deal. Unfortunately Lambert wouldn't let Richmond tell him where to go, so he went to Brisbane instead.

At the time, Fitzroy really needed a good full forward & Hogg seemed to be the best available. We'd almost made the finals in 1993 with a game plan built around getting the ball quickly to Lynch at full forward. Then Lynch went to Brisbane as a Christmas present from Ross Oakley. Hogg had been a very good full forward (& sometimes full back) at Richmond, but Richmond wanted to trade him. In hindsight, it appears they knew his back was stuffed.

Richmond then took Elliott as a priority draft pick, in the same way that Sydney took Peter Caven & Brisbane would have taken Lynch, if we hadn't agreed to accept a couple of their hacks for him. Richmond, Sydney & Brisbane all qualified for those priority draft picks, as they'd won less than 28% of their games in the last x no. of years. Because Fitzroy had won 50% of games in 1993, we didn't qualify. After losing all those players, we dropped down the ladder & would have eventually qualified for priority picks, but the rule was abandoned for that year

Baldwin was drafted by Richmond after the AFL had kicked Fitzroy out of the League.

I will never forgive Richmond for their duplicity in the Hogg deal and of course there overall anti-Fitzroy stance in that period up until our club was kicked out. They have blood on their hands as far as I am concerned and I don't mind seeing them languish at or near the bottom of the ladder. Leon Daphne sits alongside Graham Samuel as low lights and anti Fitzroy people.

Hogg was fine and uninjured when he came to Fitzroy, he had a suspect back but it wasn't debilitated at the time.

But in his first match against his old club one of the Kellaways, following a league directive covertly adopted by the Tigers, Went straight for Hoggs back with a knee from 15ft of height, and that was it for Jeffery, Jeffery, Jeffery Hogg.

Horace said:
I will never forgive Richmond for their duplicity in the Hogg deal and of course there overall anti-Fitzroy stance in that period up until our club was kicked out. They have blood on their hands as far as I am concerned and I don't mind seeing them languish at or near the bottom of the ladder. Leon Daphne sits alongside Graham Samuel as low lights and anti Fitzroy people.

Hear here! :mad:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back