Universal Love Broooooost

Remove this Banner Ad

On a personal note, I had my enjoyment of Roughead's last game reduced because a Hawthorn "supporter" sitting next to me decided she would loudly criticise Breust every time he went near the ball against the Suns - to the point that her partner started calling her out on her hysterical criticism of him.

Breust plays a very difficult position on the ground and plays it very well. It's hard being a goal sneak in the forward line at the best of times and it hasn't been easy for him this year at all, with the issues in the forward line and up the ground, as well as the general reduction across the league in terms of scoring.

However, he has claimed his second consecutive club goal-kicking trophy with 34 goals (which is, admittedly, the lowest number to win the goal-kicking at Hawthorn since Daniel Chick won it in 2002 with 31 goals).

But not only that, while he's never ever going to be a full-time midfielder, he does it well enough that Clarkson can stick him in the midfield for a few centre bounces to give the main blokes a rest for a few minutes.

He's no front-runner. He ranks sixth at the club this season for tackles per game (3.86 tackles per game) and together, he and Poppy put the clamps on opponents almost 200 times across the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back