Browny out for 6 weeks with another facial injury

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Browny another potential head injury

The man needs to stop running back into packs, he hasn't got the vertical jump like he used to since his knee injury. He used to cop the knees in the chest but now its in the head.

You might want to take a look at the video of the incident before commenting.

The man needs to stop running back into packs, he hasn't got the vertical jump like he used to since his knee injury. He used to cop the knees in the chest but now its in the head.

Mate, rather than trotting out media groupthink gibberish, watch the video and edit your comment accordingly.

Was he also to blame back in Round 1 last year when he was on the ground and McPharlin cannoned into his face?

Do you have any evidence that he did? The video doesn't show much leadup to the incident. From what I can see in the video, Goose remained committed to the spoil which is all you can really expect of a player. Easy for us to criticise looking at a wide angle shot that reveals the full situation.

Goose probably didn't have the same information, nor the time to process it.

The front on high contact at speed which essentially cloth lined brown. He just should have been more aware...and we should be fine tuning our gameplan at this time of year not killing each other.

I do get the we need to train the way we play mentality, just no with irrelevant acts to our game-plan that have very high risk lvls to team mates.

No different as I said earlier...I would not want players laying big hip and shoulders and run full speed through a opponent marking the ball just seems a bit risky

But hopefully he brings that to the team rd 1...pending he doesnt destroy banfield next week...lol

I remember playing footy (albeit pretty badly!) and going as hard as I possibly could at training. I just wasn't a good enough player to take it easy. If I wanted a spot in the top side, I needed to train at 100%. I can't say I ever injured anyone badly but there was no way, as a battler player, I was going to back off at training. If someone got injured, that is bad luck. I never had a coach say to me to "take it easy".

More recently (well a few years ago), when I helped out at a local footy club, there was a sign in the dressing room that said "Train as you mean to play". I've actually seen it at a few clubs.

At training recently, I've seen Browny belt Maguire. And I've seen Maguire belt Brown. It was the same as when Brown and Bradshaw went up against each other a few years ago - you could hear the impact across the field.

I can't blame Goose for his intent in going full bore. He made a mistake and unfortunately the mistake had a terrible outcome. But everyone makes mistakes.

If that is the case, then hopefully the team will not blame Goose as you seem to suggest when you said he would be unpopular.

yeah probably a bad post... I meant that immediately post incident players may have suggested he calm down or taken care a little. I didn't mean he would be lampooned tomorrow or the next day :)

The ONLY positive here, and it's only a slight one, is there's a few weeks yet till Round 1, therefore if he does have to miss X weeks, at least some of them are in the non H&A.
And we have no idea of seriousness. Not all facial injuries have to be as terrible as the last couple he copped.

I remember playing footy (albeit pretty badly!) and going as hard as I possibly could at training. I just wasn't a good enough player to take it easy. If I wanted a spot in the top side, I needed to train at 100%. I can't say I ever injured anyone badly but there was no way, as a battler player, I was going to back off at training. If someone got injured, that is bad luck. I never had a coach say to me to "take it easy".

More recently (well a few years ago), when I helped out at a local footy club, there was a sign in the dressing room that said "Train as you mean to play". I've actually seen it at a few clubs.

At training recently, I've seen Browny belt Maguire. And I've seen Maguire belt Brown. It was the same as when Brown and Bradshaw went up against each other a few years ago - you could hear the impact across the field.

I can't blame Goose for his intent in going full bore. He made a mistake and unfortunately the mistake had a terrible outcome. But everyone makes mistakes.

Agreed.

Played for many years and never had a coach tell me yet to go half arsed at training, only to turn it on come saturday. It doesn't work like that. Especially for a bloke who is a fringe player, battling for a spot in the side.

My point...he made a mistake, and should be careful next time.

The "train as you play" slogan refers to intensity and effort...ie not standing around/training lazy etc... It doesnt mean playing hot headed and killing each other. Like I said...how many times would Pickett run through a team mate at training?

Players should work their butts off at training, learn and adapt to new structures, and improve skills

train as you play? yes, but make sure you get through the training

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Other than the dripping blood from his nose, he looked reasonably good. Obviously the bruising/swelling will follow but he doesn't seem too bad. Fingers crossed for an early return.

My point...he made a mistake, and should be careful next time.

The "train as you play" slogan refers to intensity and effort...ie not standing around/training lazy etc... It doesnt mean playing hot headed and killing each other. Like I said...how many times would Pickett run through a team mate at training?

Players should work their butts off at training, learn and adapt to new structures, and improve skills

train as you play? yes, but make sure you get through the training

I'll leave it there. I simply disagree with you that players should take it easy at training, for fear of injuring another player. That is not my experience of football.

How long would a Fractured Cheek Bone take to recover from?

Last time he had multiple issues which caused the long recovery but if it's just the Cheek Bone it might even be a Round 1 return.

Re: Jonathan Brown #2

:eek:I don't believe this!!..I have used words I usually don't use!!...Fair dinkum, lock this man up in cotton wool never to see a football field again!!:(

He can't keep getting knocks like these...his face can only take so much now...

..Kylie must be beside herself with worry about him, not to mention his poor mother Mary!

I hope he's alright....and yes I'm a bit emotional about it all, but ultimately his health and well being is more important than the team..

..although he would strongly disagree with that!..

He's pretty optimistic to return by Rd1 proper, so that's good.

I didn't really get that from the interview. It sounded to me like it was a 'let's wait and see' brush-off.

Mate, rather than trotting out media groupthink gibberish, watch the video and edit your comment accordingly.

Was he also to blame back in Round 1 last year when he was on the ground and McPharlin cannoned into his face?
The video doesnt show the whole play on the ball, just the impact. To me he wasn't backing into a pack (this time). I still stand by my earlier statement that he hasnt got the leap anymore to pull off the Wayne carey/ riewoldt marks. Just results in dangerous positions

I'll leave it there. I simply disagree with you that players should take it easy at training, for fear of injuring another player. That is not my experience of football.

misquoted me mate...never said they should take it easy...just avoid reckless contact ;)

No different to players scaling down their bumps a little, Goose should have played with some caution coming front on into a player in a contest...and at least not jump into him. If he was backing into the back then he is excuses, but jumping front on into the ball drop zone and subsequently through a player is a little stupid in a team training session...players get suspended for late bumps into contests for a reason, so why do it to a team mate in training

Remove this Banner Ad

Back