Women's Footy Round 6, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Collingwood

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• [4] Caitlin Wendland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [6] Lily Postlethwaite

• [7] Ellie Hampson

• [8] Jennifer Dunne

• [10] Natalie Grider

• [11] Phoebe Monahan

• [23] Dee Heslop

• [25] Cathy Svarc

• [27] Mikayla Pauga

• [31] Taylor Smith

• [33] Analea McKee

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Could struggle to make finals as can’t see us beating Melbourne or Adelaide playing like that only player who has improved this season is Dakota and possibly Ellenger everyone else has stayed the same or gone backwards ( grider, Monahan, hickie)

Could struggle to make finals as can’t see us beating Melbourne or Adelaide playing like that only player who has improved this season is Dakota and possibly Ellenger everyone else has stayed the same or gone backwards ( grider, Monahan, hickie)
Even losing those two games, we'd have to seriously fall in a hole to miss the finals.

Missing the top 4 might not be all that bad though, given the newer clubs are still going to pick the eyes out of the top four teams over the next off season. Maybe it will be Melbourne's turn to lose a couple of players

Haha no who am I kidding really

4 minutes left, ball in hand and can’t find a target by foot. Do we have anyone coaching from the sidelines telling them there is plenty of time??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are unlikely to win when you kick 1 goal 10 behinds in the last 3/4 of a game.
We dominated the 2nd quarter but no scoreboard pressure.
Pies got back into the game by nailing their opportunities unlike the Lions.

It is only a 10-game season, and you should not be losing this way especially a home game.

I mean, I guess? but it's a hell of a lot better than the game at Blacktown earlier today where the players and staff almost outnumbered the crowd
I think I sounded a bit snarky but didn’t mean to be. It was a great initiative to invite them all along - I imagine it brought in a lot extra (500 or so) is all I meant. Looked like there were a lot of pies fans in the crowd too

4 minutes left, ball in hand and can’t find a target by foot. Do we have anyone coaching from the sidelines telling them there is plenty of time??
Just needed to change the angles a bit. So much space out there with everyone congregating in straight lines towards goal.

But it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy... players expect other players to kick straight towards goal so they all gather there. And whoever has the ball knows their team mates are going to gather in a direct line to goal, so they kick the ball there.

It only takes one player to have the wherewithal to say "stuff it, I'm gonna lead out here. Yes I'll feel like a bit of a goose and everyone will say 'what on earth are you doing out there' but hopefully I can draw my opponent away as well, or maybe even lose them". Then they're either in space themselves, or they've played their part in creating space for someone else.

OR the player with the ball to be a bit of a prick and say "nope, I'm not just gonna kick up the line to a massive pack that suits the other team. In fact, screw the lot of you, I'm gonna kick it 15m backwards or sideways to a team mate. And we're gonna keep up this charade until one of you gets on your bike and creates space".

Long winded way of saying, I don't think that is how they drew it up on the whiteboard.

Same as the men last Saturday.

And don't give me "there wasn't enough time for that". They were playing that way with 6 minutes to go. Sometimes (usually) the shortest way home is not a straight line. There's a good reason Denis Pagan got the chop from Carlton when he did. Actually there were probably a few, but that was as good as any of em.

Just needed to change the angles a bit. So much space out there with everyone congregating in straight lines towards goal.

But it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy... players expect other players to kick straight towards goal so they all gather there. And whoever has the ball knows their team mates are going to gather in a direct line to goal, so they kick the ball there.

It only takes one player to have the wherewithal to say "stuff it, I'm gonna lead out here. Yes I'll feel like a bit of a goose and everyone will say 'what on earth are you doing out there' but hopefully I can draw my opponent away as well, or maybe even lose them". Then they're either in space themselves, or they've played their part in creating space for someone else.

OR the player with the ball to be a bit of a prick and say "nope, I'm not just gonna kick up the line to a massive pack that suits the other team. In fact, screw the lot of you, I'm gonna kick it 15m backwards or sideways to a team mate. And we're gonna keep up this charade until one of you gets on your bike and creates space".

Long winded way of saying, I don't think that is how they drew it up on the whiteboard.

Same as the men last Saturday.

And don't give me "there wasn't enough time for that". They were playing that way with 6 minutes to go. Sometimes (usually) the shortest way home is not a straight line. There's a good reason Denis Pagan got the chop from Carlton when he did. Actually there were probably a few, but that was as good as any of em.

It’s tough to watch. Might have worked more often last year with Bates but our onball brigade is a bit thin these days.

I hope this is the type of loss that burns long and deep for the girls. It certainly should be, but the outcome has to be that learning is gained from it. Every team has losses like this - could have won, should have won. For good teams, and I think we have a good team, this will really have them coming out with intent to finish games off when the chance are there.

It is a learning that you only truly get by having these types of losses. The value of the loss for a good team comes if there is a growth in the group to ensure we don’t put ourselves in these situations again. The girls will, I am sure, be told to own this loss, and every game from now on go out with the understanding that it doesn’t happen again - Win the games that are there to be won.

Added to that, Hickie was a standout. Her best game of the season by a fair margin. It feels like she is back to her best.

I think I sounded a bit snarky but didn’t mean to be. It was a great initiative to invite them all along - I imagine it brought in a lot extra (500 or so) is all I meant. Looked like there were a lot of pies fans in the crowd too

Pies fans that jumped on the bandwagon when they won. Watch them go back to being broncos fans when the pies don't make the GF next season.

Added to that, Hickie was a standout. Her best game of the season by a fair margin. It feels like she is back to her best.

Agree. She was good. Haven't checked the stats (cos such things bore me rigid) but she definitely looked like she won most of the tap outs. Rucking against a bigger body like Sabs & she definitely didn't disgrace herself.

Speaking of Sabs, I am wondering if the reason the pies have kept her on is bcos she is somewhat good as a ruck. Her lack of general athleticism makes her a poor forward.

Well ! Bit poor , goal kicking cost the game , could struggle from here

Lions coach lays down the law after axing duo for disciplinary reasons

A couple of girls not living up to the professional standards apparently. A lack of sleep? Partying?

Hopefully this weekend was the boot up the backside the girls need. Was an extremely wasteful effort as far as generating shots on goal in the first half, despite the domination of play, and then terrible goal kicking in the second half.

Back