Budget 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

AFR is expecting fast-tracked tax cuts, an increase to the aged pension, increased child care funding, handouts for the tourism sector and an extension of HomeBuilder.

Probyn asked Frydenberg about tax cuts, with a indoctrinated response that its simply just going to work.

Quite critical as well with the apprentice/ traineeship subsidise wage idea. What does it do to address demand for the different areas of work? Why would you bring on more staff when a majority of sectors are experiencing at the very least downturns, at the worst mass layoff.

Followed up by a fluff piece on how good regional tourism is right now. Will get a further sugar hit from Melbournian's and other major cities with Christmas, then expect things to dry up again.

Remember when Rudd came in and everyone screamed that middle class welfare had to be wound back? Now we're in a recession and the government seems to have learned nothing and are content to destroy the budget with largesse that we can't afford. For once I'd like to see reporter's demanding to know what this will cost as they do with environmental policy.

How do tax cuts create jobs?

What is the end game here? Keep cutting taxes until no one pays anything?

End game is the rich getting richer still, and the pollies make even more money colluding with said rich

The country may be broken and people may be poor, but they got richer, and that's all that matters

ScottyFrommarketing is taking his instructions and implementing their agenda like the good little useful idiot he is.

It's a completely absurd policy as a lot of people (including rich people) are losing their jobs atm, or will over the next 6 months. Can't pay tax on a job that doesn't exist....

It's a completely absurd policy as a lot of people (including rich people) are losing their jobs atm, or will over the next 6 months. Can't pay tax on a job that doesn't exist....
Tax cuts may not be the best first club out of the bag, but they are an essential tool in any recovery strategy.

Giving the people who still have jobs growth in their take home pay is essential for restoring consumer confidence, which is the engine-room for any domestic bounce back.

Even modern monetary theorists recognise the importance of cutting taxes in a recession.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tax cuts may not be the best first club out of the bag, but they are an essential tool in any recovery strategy.

Giving the people who still have jobs growth in their take home pay is essential for restoring consumer confidence, which is the engine-room for any domestic bounce back.

Even modern monetary theorists recognise the importance of cutting taxes in a recession.
Greg Jericho described these tax cuts as being akin to building a new coal fired power station in the middle of a bushfire.

I had a laugh seeing the “self funded retirees” franking credit crew crying they’re not getting looked after.
I believe they are making noises about being compensated by the taxpayer budget for their reduced retirement income as a result of the market crash.

So now there is even a leak that certain pensioners will get some more economic stimulus payments, but they are still leaving out the long-term future of Jobseeker Payment. Quit stalling you useless campaigners, tell people looking for work that they matter and give them some certainty they will have a survivable payment and not going back to that cruel old rate. Stop leaving the unemployed at the bottom of the pile and on the ignore list all the time.

The issue i see (noting i agree on you in theory) is that re-estbalishing, or imposing new taxes is political suicide. Therefore any lost revenue from such cuts is unlikely to ever be recovered.

The issue i see (noting i agree on you in theory) is that re-estbalishing, or imposing new taxes is political suicide. Therefore any lost revenue from such cuts is unlikely to ever be recovered.
They’ve done it a few times recently with levies so it’s not necessarily that difficult.

I find the bleating about tax cuts going to the rich by many who voted these jokers in in the first place to be incredibly annoying (fancy those that pay the most tax benefitting the most when it’s cut), and reflective of the complete and limited self interest that most voters base their choice on.

they have told us for years they want lower tax and less services so why be surprised when you keep voting them in and they do just that.

I’m biased as those cuts were the only minor benefit personally I could see from these pricks coming in, but would never vote based on that.