Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
I don't normally start a thread but I have been thinking about this for a while now & we all need to chill a little after the weekend.

If you were given the job of coaching the Swans & had 4 or 5 years to win a p'ship, which players based on our current list & form, can you seriously see being there to play in that team? Forget about their positions because good players should be able to adapt to the role chosen for them by their coach.

When one thinks in terms of p'ships, decisions on whether we keep a player or not are made much more easily. The loyalties & love we may have for a certain player can cloud our judgement, but when push comes to shove, the hard decisions get made.

For me, I tried to picture what Malthouse would accept in a player should he be given the job.
Would he persist with Jetta as he has with Leon Davis? Would he try & turn Jesse White into a Leroy Brown type player?

Here's my list!

DEFINITE!
Bird, Grundy, Hannebery, Jack, A. Johnson, L. Johnston, Kennedy, Malceski, McGlynn, McVeigh, Mumford, Parker, Reid, Rohan, Smith.

MAYBE!
Meredith, Heath, (both promising when fit) Spangher(versatile with height-Leroy Brown role)

I've left out Goodes, Bolton etc because realistically they will be done in 4 or 5 years.

What do you guys think? Hopefully the exercise puts a more positive spin on our future for you.
It certainly has me optimistic about it.

Cheers!

so you dont see the likes of LRT, Jetta, Everitt,Bevan, TDL, Sumner, Pyke as even maybees?

But Spangher is? (no offense to The Spang) but all the others Ive listed have shown as much or more.

so you dont see the likes of LRT, Jetta, Everitt,Bevan, TDL, Sumner, Pyke as even maybees?

But Spangher is? (no offense to The Spang) but all the others Ive listed have shown as much or more.
Out of that list i would say only possibly pyke, but you'd prefer a young back up ruckman in 4 years time. LRT will be 31 so prob not. TDL maybe.

Everitt and Bevan will not be AFL players anywhere in 4 years time

4 members of our next premiership team have been placed on the background of the swans website.

LRT perhaps too old. Bevan............he can't get a regular game now (even though I think he deserves to be in our team every week because of his hardness) & he might be a little old by then. Jetta.......I liked a couple of his tackles in the last Q so if he continues in that mode I'd throw him in. TDL was an oversight.
Pyke.............I'm not sure if I can see him in our p'ship team with this new sub rule, unless he can become a good forward as well.

I really like Spangher. He'd be my project. Throw him around & put my faith in him no matter what he does. Play without the fear of being dropped. He is just a great height & can trouble as a forward & relieve Mumford in the ruck!

Sumner? He's not going well enough in the two's ATM.

Got a good core developing nicely. Jed Lamb could be a handy inclusion to the foward line. If Jetta keeps showing the intensity he has in recent weeks he may be very handy.
Not 100% sold on TDL, showed good signs last year but there was a reason it took him so many years to get drafted very much a one way player and is known to pull out of contests a bit. Not suprisingly Playfair brings up his need to improve his defensive efforts in most reserves reports.

Still feel like we're missing another key foward and a class midfielder and we may be able to start challenging for top 4 in the not too distant future. Mitchell has the talent to be that class midfielder, Lewis Johnston maybe the key foward, unfortunetly they'll take time to develop, so maybe have to trade for those type of players.

Hopefully a player or two come from un unexpected/unknown source like a Meredith, Haren, Otten, Gordan, Heath, Everitt or McNeil. That's assuming most of the players mentioned in the OP keep improving, hopefully most will but the likelyhood is a couple will fail to go on with it.

Yeah!
Mitchell will be on next years list & all of a sudden, one can see that we have a real good looking nucleus of a p'ship team. If you add the regular trading in of an out of favour player at another top team, things improve again.
I hope Lamb gets a crack by years end. The other one I forgot about was Gordon. He looks as though he can make it.

I touched on it in my post for the Dogs thread, about how guys like Richards, ROK, Goodes, LRT, Kennelly and Bolton won't be in our next Premiership team, or are on the way out. Add to that Moore, Meredith, Bevan, Everitt, Sumner, White, and Currie, and we have quite a few players we need to clean out of the team either at the end of the year or over the next few years.

*NOTE* I am not saying that Goodes etc. need to be moved on, and if we are genuinely challenging in the next year or so, they will certainly be there for it, I'm just saying that they are players who won't be here in 5 years.

Anyone think Fev might be worth a crack next season. I know his been trouble! However maybe just let him train over the summer and see how his going any BS sack him but 11 Goals on the weekend and When Bradshaw was in last year we looked good.

i find it hard not to be too optomistic, i think we can get these kids going to win a flag with goodsey, bolton and okeefe still in the team, but i guess its unlikely. Looking at the oldest players i think Kennelly is gone first to be honest.

I think the most pleasing part of the year (and last year) has been to see some real talent coming through, and it looks like we have key position talent as well.

If we work toward a five year plan to win a flag then the players over 32 and most likely gone are Goodes, Okeefe, Bolton, Mattner, Shaw, Kennelly and richards. Leaving LRT, Pyke and Seaby aged 32 as the senior players.

Malceski, Mcveigh, Mcglynn and Mumford are all 30, so not unrealstic they are still going. Clearly the biggest hole to fill is the class that Goodes adds to the side, so i guess we need to continue down the excellent drafting path we have been on of late, but i imagine our fate lies in what we do with the cap room created by the stars going.

Looking at the list of players left and predicting how they develop i think the list looks quite promising for 5 years time. Imagine how good players like Reid and Hanneberry can be by then.

Looking at the ages its also surprising how young kennedy is, he could become anything really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You reckon Seaby will be here in 5 years, god help us.

probably not as he doesnt have a spot, but in theory he could still be "performing".

Just thinking out loud really, we have had a decent clean out of players the last few years.

Pyke will be a part of it. The guy's very athletic, a good kick and mark. He can hold his own in the sub era.

Jetta too. Is working hard, still learning the defensive stuff and positioning but he will be a fine player.

Speaking of, is Mitchell back on the paddock yet? I'm interested to see what his form is like.

I did do some checking online yesterday to see if there were any recent match reports with Tom playing but i came up empty.

It probably isn't the case but as far as i know his last game of Aussie Rules Football was the last game of the NAB Under 18 Championships.

For all the fretting this season our future is bright. We're not as bad as we fear, nor as good as we hope. But we're getting there.

How does Kane Lucas sound?

Apparently on Future Stars today he mentioned that his dad and uncle both played for Swans at some stage, and that he wasn't there "at the moment", before correcting himself on-air that he was a Carlton player. I haven't seen the interview, just going by hearsay, so I may be wrong.

Probably nothing in it, but if he did want to head up, what would he be worth?

I remember we were looking at him that year.. that was when we took Rohan and Jetta wasn't it? Might be worth a bit, but I wouldn't think too much if he wanted to come and is presumably out of contract.

We've got a few like him. Similar players who have played more than him and would be higher up in the pecking order for senior spots. He looks like a decent young bloke though.

If you want a big bloke to sit at FF, we've got one with sleeve tatoos going I reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back