Autopsy Bulldogs challenge convention that goals are better than behinds, comfortably defeat Great Waste of Space

Remove this Banner Ad

Wrapped to get the win. Was a very frustrating game with ball movement, forward set up and conversion being the usual suspects. We really did clamp them though. JUH continues to be a concern. Cannot fault the effort overall.

I really enjoyed that win more than I expected. Super happy with the effort.

curb your enthusiasm GIF

Shoutout to Ed with nearly 700 metres gained. Next closest midfielder was Tom Green with 400.

JOD impressed me today, definitely looking like he belongs at this level. And Harmes is turning himself into a handy forward, like his smarts around the ball inside 50, reads the play well. So far he's looking like our best recruit in a while. Looks like he's enjoying his footy too.

Darcy is fast becoming my favourite player in this side. It's stressful viewing watching Naughton or JUH lining up a set shot, not so with Darcy. For an unorthodox kicking style it certainly is reaping rewards. Will be a beast in 2-3 years.

JOD impressed me today, definitely looking like he belongs at this level. And Harmes is turning himself into a handy forward, like his smarts around the ball inside 50, reads the play well. So far he's looking like our best recruit in a while. Looks like he's enjoying his footy too.

Darcy is fast becoming my favourite player in this side. It's stressful viewing watching Naughton or JUH lining up a set shot, not so with Darcy. For an unorthodox kicking style it certainly is reaping rewards. Will be a beast in 2-3 years.
JOD really benefits from Keath being there. He’s not ready to be our number 2 yet.

Happy for that third spot to be fought between JOD, Buku and Busslinger.

Bont wasn’t poor.

He did a number of sacrificial acts to help Treloar and Richards get a free run.

He’s never poor.

He might look poor compared to his insanely high standard, but even then I’d be surprised if he was in the bottom half of performers in the team.

He took a couple of marks, and impacted a couple of contests, that were elite. Commentators aren’t always a good indicator of who is performing well (or not) but they’re often in awe of what he does.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's not quite physically strong enough yet but you can see the potential in Freijah. Once he builds confidence and realizes he has the ability to succeed at the level, he should become a permanent fixture in the team. Good recruiting.
Thought both Freijah and Clizz were pretty solid tonight may they both go on with it.

Wrapped to get the win. Was a very frustrating game with ball movement, forward set up and conversion being the usual suspects. We really did clamp them though. JUH continues to be a concern. Cannot fault the effort overall.
JUH was working hard and presenting well for the ball. Managed to take a couple of nice marks but looks like he has zero confidence in his goal kicking.

He’s never poor.

He might look poor compared to his insanely high standard, but even then I’d be surprised if he was in the bottom half of performers in the team.

He took a couple of marks, and impacted a couple of contests, that were elite. Commentators aren’t always a good indicator of who is performing well (or not) but they’re often in awe of what he does.
It was a game that perfectly highlighted one of the few aspects of Bont's game that's underrated, despite being the thing he's probably by far the best at in the league: one percenters. I'm pretty sure his blocking at stoppages in the 3rd quarter lead directly to at least 3 clean clearances, not to mention all those little taps to teammates.

Fun fact: he's lead the league in non-spoil one percenters (so that's knock-ons to teammates, shepherds and smothers) for the last 5 years, and it's not even close. This year he's had 28 - next highest midfielder is on 14. Last year he had 69, next highest mid was on 36. Amazing that he can be both the best player in the league and, by this measure, the most selfless.

Bizarre thing about this team that we can beat a top four challenger and still be dissatisfied with the performance.

We should have won that game by ten goals. I note that gws score would be more similar to ours in that they had several contested marks, shots on goal and no scores (I counted 5 or so). I think there was an issue with a ball and the wetness of the ground and its impact on set shots. We should’ve adapted kicking style and gone for more live shots though. Should have been a ten goal win.

Credit to Harmes, JOD and Williams who all had iffy first halves and excellent second halves. Turned the game around and got better as it went along unlike how some of our players have fallen away in games this season

What’s happened to the handful of supporters GWS has? Looked like NSW was back in lockdown.

Great win. No Libba and a poor game from Bont make it impressive.

Our run home after the next 3-4 weeks is full of winnable games. I reckon even going 2-2 in that period sets us up ok.

Not getting hopes up as we’re a chance to s**t the bed again next week. A win or at least a strong performance, would convince a lot of people that we’re a threat again.
It was not a poor game from Bont.

People really need to watch the game rather than look at stats.
Recently teams have been closely tagging Bont so he hasn’t had as many clear possessions but he has still been having enormously positive impact on games.

His taps to advantage which aren’t credited as stats are often more impactful than a handball or a kick.
Plus he clears space and occupies so much of the opposition’s resources that he makes the game much easier for his team mates.

Bont was still very good today, including taking an amazingly difficult mark at a crucial time when GWS were charging mid way through the last quarter.

JOD really benefits from Keath being there. He’s not ready to be our number 2 yet.

Happy for that third spot to be fought between JOD, Buku and Busslinger.
I agree.

Adding further to that, I’d really like to see Buku as the 3rd intercept defender. Has he ever actually been given a chance in that role next to two genuine KPD?

What I found interesting about this game was some of the magnets being moved around from last week (and them apparently working). Bramble played wing and half forward after defence all season. Gallagher played in balm after playing wing. Harmes went on the wing after forward last week. Freijah was in defence after being on the wing last week.

All were very bold moves, and clearly had their purpose in the wet, have largely gone uncommented upon, but credit surely has to go to the coach for changing positions GWS probably didn't expect and it contributing to the overall result.

I agree.

Adding further to that, I’d really like to see Buku as the 3rd intercept defender. Has he ever actually been given a chance in that role next to two genuine KPD?
Yep, in round 18, 19, 20, 2022, played with some combination of Gardner, Keath, Cordy. He was dropped after three games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back