bunderson

Senior List
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Simple but hard question...

Bunga v Woosha??

Hurn
18 yrs and 332 games (plus a couple more)
Captain for 5yrs
Premiership Captain
2 x All Australian
All Australian Vice Captain (rorted for Captain)
3 x Glendinning Allen Medal
29 Brownlow Medal votes
Understated leader and legend.

Tough
Funny nickname

Worsfold
12ys and 209 games.
Captain for 8yrs
2 x Premiership Captain
Club Champion
2 x WA Captain
Premiership Coach
Jock McHale Medal
11 Brownlow Medal Votes
Understander leader and legend.
Tough
Funny nickname

I'm going Bunga.

Geez, I knew Woosha pulled the pin on his career pretty early but I didn't realise it was after just 12 years/200 games. Can those who weren't children when he was playing elaborate? I know he had a falling out with Malthouse over not being picked for a final but had time or injuries caught up to him?

Geez, I knew Woosha pulled the pin on his career pretty early but I didn't realise it was after just 12 years/200 games. Can those who weren't children when he was playing elaborate? I know he had a falling out with Malthouse over not being picked for a final but had time or injuries caught up to him?

Injuries got him, specifically a troublesome knee

Malthouse was probably right to leave him out of the final when he did but went about it totally the wrong way. Kept it secret from everyone, including the team, so when the announcement came through he wasn’t playing it left everyone flat and we got spanked

Worsfold even gave a pregame saying he was ready to play when the decision that he wasn’t had been made a day or two earlier

As a player Worsfold was hard as nails and was actually better skilled than he was given credit for due to the way he played.

Surely the longevity and multiple AA’s have Bung on top

Woosh inspired the whole team and could change a game by a shirtfront. The one on modra was a thing of beauty. Hurn the more talented player but woosh was as hard as nails and the team would follow his example.

That's pretty tough. I grew up with Woosha and see him as the greatest Eagle ever. Not the best player but the person that has probably had the greatest impact on the club. Hurn has had an incredible career and has certainly left his impression on the club as well.

I don't think anyone will ever surpass Woosha's influence and impact on our club. It could become even greater if he gets involved with the board and leads to the next flag.

I think Hurn is the better player, although Woosha's skills are under rated.

Injuries got him, specifically a troublesome knee

Malthouse was probably right to leave him out of the final when he did but went about it totally the wrong way. Kept it secret from everyone, including the team, so when the announcement came through he wasn’t playing it left everyone flat and we got spanked

Worsfold even gave a pregame saying he was ready to play when the decision that he wasn’t had been made a day or two earlier

As a player Worsfold was hard as nails and was actually better skilled than he was given credit for due to the way he played.
Woosha doing his knee is one of my earliest memories as an eagles fan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if you watched any game he played in you would understand why he had to quit. Literally used his body as a battering ram for 200 games, was surprised he lasted that long. Tough as old boots that bloke, did his ACL during a game and ran off unassisted.

You want to see the hit he put on Graham Wright during a game. Poor Wrighty was flying backwards after Woosh hit him. Woosh would have been offered 5+ weeks nowdays, but it was play on then IIRC.

if you watched any game he played in you would understand why he had to quit. Literally used his body as a battering ram for 200 games, was surprised he lasted that long. Tough as old boots that bloke, did his ACL during a game and ran off unassisted.

You want to see the hit he put on Graham Wright during a game. Poor Wrighty was flying backwards after Woosh hit him. Woosh would have been offered 5+ weeks nowdays, but it was play on then IIRC.

Suma has a surprising catalogue of decent hits.

In regards to the topic. Still Woosha for me.

Shannon was amazing but I always feel like he sacrificed his own game too much when he took on the mantle of captain. I guess you could argue that makes Bung the better player and the more selfless captain but 2>1 after all.

I think Woosh, mostly due to having coached a flag as well as captaining a couple. Bunga the better and more durable player but flag coach and captain gets the nod for me.
His battles with Ablett were also great. He put a beauty on him in the 92 GF after Ablett elbowed Pyke in the back of the head and knocked him out cold.
He didnt get him immediately but he got him. Woosh never forgot a target and didn't miss one either.

Player vs player and their accolades, never thought about til now, but Hurn comes out on top.

But Woosha being a premiership captain and then coaching the same club to a flag is rare air.

Hurn can’t top that.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Player vs player and their accolades, never thought about til now, but Hurn comes out on top.

But Woosha being a premiership captain and then coaching the same club to a flag is rare air.

Hurn can’t top that.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yeah he can if he decides to go into coaching, which probably looks like what he will do

Woosh was selected in the pre-cursor to the All-Australian team, the ‘VFL Team of the Year’ in 1988 and 1990. So that matches Hurn’s 2 AA gongs.

It’s very close but Hurn gets Woosh on longevity.

Worsfold was the better captain though ultimately I think.

no love for Darren Glass?

Woosh and Bunga played in very different eras. All the talk of Woosha laying people out is great and all, but he would have been suspended for ever in todays climate. Bunga was just as tough. Just different in how that was applied due to the rules.

I'd take Bungas career performance over Woosha's any day due to the longevity. Their peaks were very similar but Woosha just didn't last the distance.

Back