Remove this Banner Ad

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
You guys reckon he is finished?

I've always had alot of time for Butthead, but his last season or two has really let us down. He used to be hard at it, dish player who put his body on the line, but it seems with the way the league is going he is going to struggle to get a spot. Someone like Nic Suban is playing better than Schammer did even at his best.

Schammer has really stayed the same since he was about 21, hard at it, bad skills, poor decisions. I wouldn't have him in the 22 this weekend, it would be a shame for him to end up at the glue factory, but it just seems he was never able to make the next step.

People used to complain that Schammer had been "fremantled" but i think we probably should consider he just isn't good enough at AFL level. Our newer bunch of guys have come on much quicker than Schammer.

Hard to disagree but i wouldnt say hes finished. definitely not in our best 22 at the moment but hes still young and freo lack depth. he is important to us

I just think its funny when the prime guys who butcher kicks - Dodd, Schammer etc are out of the side suddenly we start winning games.

I heard they did a stat at Freo and found out Schammer had the worst kick in the team for bad kicks causing turnovers. Turnovers kill you in modern footy.

I just think its funny when the prime guys who butcher kicks - Dodd, Schammer etc are out of the side suddenly we start winning games.

I heard they did a stat at Freo and found out Schammer had the worst kick in the team for bad kicks causing turnovers. Turnovers kill you in modern footy.
I really don't think it's that strange. Hawthorn won a premiership with a midfield and defence that was much less flashy than Geelong's but they could pinpoint targets. s**t, Stuey Dew was 200 kg and absolutely demolished them with his left foot.

Guys like Dodd with excellent endurance, or Schammer with his attack on the ball, are near useless if their disposal is poor.

He has been working his arse off to get back in the team, and he will. And saying he has been s**t the past 2 seasons is a bit off. Search back and find the thread that was made when we thought he was suspended after the Carlton game. Or some of the 'positives' threads from round 1 to 15 or so. He was great last year before he was injured for 3 games. And he was great in the second half of 08 before he was injured.

I'm not saying he is a star, and he has deserved not to be in the 22 the first 2 rounds. But no, he is not finished.

i agree with all that has been said in this thread, although i dont think he will be finished as i fully expect him to sign with GC17 for a few years. its a shame, as i do like him as a team man, he has had many chances to leave, but stuck with us, his hardness at the ball is faultless, but in this day and age, with a young crop of budding stars coming through, its hard to see where he fits in our future. having said that, id much prefer schammer on our list or in our team over past hacks like dodd, browne, head, gilmore etc... i guess that just shows the progression of our list, that a once walk up starting 22 player just cant crack a game

find the thread that was made when we thought he was suspended after the Carlton game.
At that point he was the number two fully fit senior midfielder we had. Palmer was gone, Hase was only a few games back from serious injury, all the other young blokes weren't yet ready. Losing him back then and we'd have a proper midfield of one.

So many players have gone past him this year it's not funny.

I'm sure he'll be selected, and I hope he has a great game. But if he shows poor form, he should be dropped back to the WAFL as soon as possible.

He'll need to kick 4 goals and lay 14 tackles to please everyone on this board. Schammer has been all heart for Fremantle over the past few years.

We have played him as a tagger, backmen, forward and midfielder. Although his disposal has come under question at times, the same can be said for the rest of the squad during our poor periods over the last few years.

He still has more to offer and playing Ibbo's role this week, the pressure schammer will put on with his endurance as a defensive forward will be enough to keep him in best 22.

Havent given up on him and by years end I hope he shows us why he is best 22.

Finished?!!! :eek:

WTF. I hope your referring to best 22?...not career?

The guy is a quality bloke....an integral part of our squad. A squad isn't just built on the best 22 players it is on the whole football club...players like Schammer are integral. He is likely not best 22 these days, but he will give 110% everytime he is on the field...sure his kicking is crazy at times but it's not worse than what a club legend like Shaun McManus did for 10 years.

Schammer had a very decent season in 2009 & I'm sure he'll go alright when given a chance in 2010...not best 22 if thats what your implying but integral squad member nontheless & great club man.

The guy is a quality bloke....an integral part of our squad. A squad isn't just built on the best 22 players it is on the whole football club...players like Schammer are integral. He is likely not best 22 these days, but he will give 110% everytime he is on the field...sure his kicking is crazy at times but it's not worse than what a club legend like Shaun McManus did for 10 years.

Schammer had a very decent season in 2009 & I'm sure he'll go alright when given a chance in 2010...not best 22 if thats what your implying but integral squad member nontheless & great club man.
I agree with this post. Schammer should be regarded as a depth player now.

Too often the FFC has reward the "heart" players and has usually overlooked their weaknesses which has been poor decision making and disposals.

Now we have anew crop of players who play with "heart" but have far better disposal and decidion making. Turnovers in the game as it is being played at the moment is suicide. Especially where teams are fighting for supremacy of the corridor.

Schammer's spot has been taken by the likes of Rhys, suban, barlow, Mora, de beor etc.

He'll probably be in the squad of 25 for the cats game, making the final 22 is another thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is finished mate - face facts.

Like alot of Fremantle supporters I feel cheated by Butthead Schammer.

For years we have waited for Schammer to improve as a player.

Naturally supporters assumed that because Peter Bell was a midget, and Schammer is also a midget...it was natural for Schammer to become the next Bell. Sadly this has not occured - Butthead's game has not improved one on any tangible measure since he turned 21. If anything his possessions are less effective.

I will always remember Butthead fondly - his performance in the Subiaco home final against Melbourne a few years ago was memorable. He played a great game that night (along with Webster from memory). Sadly the game has moved on and Butthead has been left behind.

Its time to send him to the glue factory.

Looks like Matt DeBoer is going to get a game before Schammer.

Figures, he was decent in the defensive forward role Ibbotson was playing

If your 174cm, to be effective you need to be highly skills, extremely smart and super quick Eg Brent Harvey, Ballatyne, Crawford.

Schammer has bad skills, poor decision making and has great ensurance but not quick off the mark.

Having him on the list robs us of salary space (guessing 150-200k) and an opportunity to get another Broughton, Silvagni or Barlow.

Also, this quality bloke argument is total BS. Their are alot of quality blokes in the WAFL/SANFL/VFL that dont have the goods to make AFL.

Butthead = gorn.

Will be treading water until end of year. If he gets a game it will have to be for one of two reasons:-
1) horrific injury run, or
2) get his value up to trade.

I hope he plays in a premiership midfield this year... for Claremont. But agree he is needed over the next couple of years as cover, but nothing more

3rd Round pick, I think it will be pick 43.

I think we would be lucky to even get that. The Gold Coast has 16 clubs to pilfer, they will target plenty better than Schammer. They might be interested if he was very cheap/free. I doubt any of the current clubs would be interested, even if he was delisted and they could get him for free in the PSD.

What is his contract status?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back