Buying a flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

ChristianBoy

Club Legend
Suspended
Jul 15, 2022
AFL Club
Melbourne
With most local comps finishing over the next few weeks what are peoples thoughts on clubs buying flags. Every year in every local comp a club or clubs are accused of buying a flag.

What"s the balance? How many buy imports is to many?

Is it worth the risk long term?

Thoughts

I guess it has been going on since the 60s - in VFL/AFL you can probably trace back to obvious one of Ron Barassi moving to Carlton.

I think part of the equation of winning a flag at AFL or VFL or country or amateurs is putting the right team together. It is part of being a successful club that you can attract players that make that success.

It's a legitimate tactic but I hope we never go as far as some sports where players move from club to club often for just 12 month terms. I think in the US NFL clubs can actually buy in players to fill gaps mid-year. That is a step too far I think.

I don't like it.

Some clubs in my area (one team in particular) recruit NT players for the season.

I don't think it's a good look for any local club when your u14's, u17's and reserves get absolutely smashed then your firsts get up well.
Shows a lack of genuine development of the younger kids.

Modern game, its gotta be in the cap so its an even playing field (although questions on how cheaply some land was sold for near geelong)
Questions over most flags prior to the early 90s, But the roos definitely bought a couple, they openly exploited the rule to buy players

I don’t mind it as long as majority of clubs get a turn at buying a flag over a 10 yr period.

With lots of leagues having a rotating grand final venue, generally the host team really invest to win one at home.

It destroys a league if it’s only one or two teams buying flags over a long period of time

• Banned
I don't like it.

Some clubs in my area (one team in particular) recruit NT players for the season.

I don't think it's a good look for any local club when your u14's, u17's and reserves get absolutely smashed then your firsts get up well.
Shows a lack of genuine development of the younger kids.

Yeah I don't understand how clubs can support a team that they don't have any connection with the players.

• Banned
Deer Park did it for years

Caps are irrelevant at local level. Sponsors and partners will supply star players with whatever they can - one day a week jobs, free TAB vouchers, company cars etc and they will get away with it.

Yes only honest clubs abide by the rules. I love the clubs that get play the hes playing for unders card.

My local team lost 38 goals to 2 the other week, and that's not a once off. Asked a bloke at the pub afterwards and he said there's a couple of wealthy farmers in each league that recruit gun players while the other teams lose players to bigger cities, so those clubs with fewer players have guys that need to play ressies & league in the same day to make up numbers and are gassed for the league match.

I guess it has been going on since the 60s - in VFL/AFL you can probably trace back to obvious one of Ron Barassi moving to Carlton.

I think part of the equation of winning a flag at AFL or VFL or country or amateurs is putting the right team together. It is part of being a successful club that you can attract players that make that success.

It's a legitimate tactic but I hope we never go as far as some sports where players move from club to club often for just 12 month terms. I think in the US NFL clubs can actually buy in players to fill gaps mid-year. That is a step too far I think.
Honestly I don't get how people can take those European football leagues seriously when they're owned by foreign billionaires who just buy the best players, the same teams winning year after year. Unless you're a fan of one of the big clubs why even bother supporting a club when you're basically never going to win.

Deer Park did it for years

Caps are irrelevant at local level. Sponsors and partners will supply star players with whatever they can - one day a week jobs, free TAB vouchers, company cars etc and they will get away with it.

They’re actually not irrelevant at all.

They’ve had a huge impact on player payment levels, which have come down a lot.

Of course there are clubs out there that bend the rules but in combination with the points system things have changed a lot.

Modern game, its gotta be in the cap so its an even playing field (although questions on how cheaply some land was sold for near geelong)
Questions over most flags prior to the early 90s, But the roos definitely bought a couple, they openly exploited the rule to buy players

Thanks Caro.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They’re actually not irrelevant at all.

They’ve had a huge impact on player payment levels, which have come down a lot.

Of course there are clubs out there that bend the rules but in combination with the points system things have changed a lot.

Only honest clubs are disadvantaged. Rogue admin can basically flaunt the rules as they know they'll be gone.

Honestly I don't get how people can take those European football leagues seriously when they're owned by foreign billionaires who just buy the best players, the same teams winning year after year. Unless you're a fan of one of the big clubs why even bother supporting a club when you're basically never going to win.
I support the Bees and have since they were league 1 and 2. The excitement of getting to the PL with limited funds was as good as kick as any and then doing the double over Man City in their PL and European Championship year also a huge buzz.

Relegation/Promotion and other European football makes it interesting as well as the rivalries.

Personally I dont understand why people support the Billionaire teams unless a strong affiliation with the club. Lesser club like Bees still have a connection with fans and have a owner who was a fan growing up.

An owner without an affiliation may as well be a McDonalds franchise.

well theres a unique view on that.

Luton town went from non league or 5th division to EPL in 10 seasons.

Nicely done, you managed to throw shade at Geelong, at North Melbourne, and flags prior to the 1990s without ever going near the Hawthorn zone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back