Play Nice Bye Bye Brad #3 [Locked: BS signs 2-year ext. Aug-2017, tied to NM until end 2020]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've actually been in that situation to go from recently retired player to coach pretty much overnight and having tell people you physically battled against on the field (and ego wise) that you're now the boss and it aint easy!

The young players look up to the senior players and therefore the new coach's vision/authority can be undermined by the senior groups influence over the rest of the playing group.

I'm not insinuating the seniors undermined Brad in any way, but not having the 'old firm' around anymore will certainly help to drive culture change.
I think he had the support and confidence of the older guys from early on actually. I think it's more the challenge of giving harder messages, even dropping players, that would have been hard with players closer to your age. He's also been pretty firm in the 'back your players' philosophy, especially I guess, the senior ones.

The brrrmph caused by the end of year decisions not to renew contracts has presented, as you say, a chance for a major review of where he's at with his coaching. It has caused not just a major shift in public perception of the club (the loss of all the experience and possible new era associated with 'aggressive reset') but also an opportunity for Brad to significantly reassess his own approach, along with a 'new group' to apply it with. I think it's as much about him (and his age now) as the age of the list.

While on the surface it may seem unrelated, even to him, it wouldn't surprise me if the family tragedy may have given him pause to reflect on football and life. For example, to see what may previously have been regarded as 'hard decisions' as pretty trivial in the bigger picture of things.

I think he had the support and confidence of the older guys from early on actually. I think it's more the challenge of giving harder messages, even dropping players, that would have been hard with players closer to your age. He's also been pretty firm in the 'back your players' philosophy, especially I guess, the senior ones.

The brrrmph caused by the end of year decisions not to renew contracts has presented, as you say, a chance for a major review of where he's at with his coaching. It has caused not just a major shift in public perception of the club (the loss of all the experience and possible new era associated with 'aggressive reset') but also an opportunity for Brad to significantly reassess his own approach, along with a 'new group' to apply it with. I think it's as much about him (and his age now) as the age of the list.

While on the surface it may seem unrelated, even to him, it wouldn't surprise me if the family tragedy may have given him pause to reflect on football and life. For example, to see what may previously have been regarded as 'hard decisions' as pretty trivial in the bigger picture of things.
Yes all very relevant; the hospital incident, family tragedy, the older players moving on and Scott becoming a more experienced coach in general (which has been forgotten along the way) have all probably contributed to a shift in mindset. Let's hope it ends up being the perfect storm :)

Yeah, I get all that, but you don't trade out one of our only two ruckmen to get the job done. Todd just presently happens to be convenient to the compulsive trader types.

Two quality rucks does not mean that one is "surplus" to our needs, they are essential to our needs.

If we traded out Todd and Preuss went down, we would be in a world of s**t.

Trading Goldy makes no logical sense at all.
Actually, it makes good sense I think.

Firstly, even if we have to pay some of it, it would further release salary to pay for these guys, or help pay for others that may not be afforded with the alleged salary figures for Kelly and Martin.

Secondly, while it will wax and wane, at the moment, despite the elimination of the third ruck rule, we're seeing teams looking to be more effective at the foot of the rucks through quality mids or quality structures. I think this will continue and it makes the importance of rucks more questionable. In any case, as first ruck, Preuss is already impressive.

Thirdly, it's not like we can't and wouldn't recruit another ruckman. They don't have to be Todd quality, merely capable. I imagine for the short term it could be a mature second-tier type. Preuss himself, let's not forget, was recruited as a rookie from Qld.

It's funny, if we were 5-2 I would actually be thinking we were going to at least have a shot of winning it.

I base this on the following:

1- we'd be 5-2 off a very hard start to the year, maybe the hardest in the comp

2- our 2 losses, whilst 40 points, still saw us infront or close to at halftime

3- overall we have probably got better with each game (except for last quarters)

The more I think about it the more I'm struggling to process my feelings in all this because we are playing well, exceeding my expectations within games (despite being 2-5 which is around where I thought we'd be at this stage), and still doing a good (maybe not great) job of getting games into kids.

I'm very confused but overall happy.

I think.
That's pretty clear then. :p

Actually, it makes good sense I think.

Firstly, even if we have to pay some of it, it would further release salary to pay for these guys, or help pay for others that may not be afforded with the alleged salary figures for Kelly and Martin.

Secondly, while it will wax and wane, at the moment, despite the elimination of the third ruck rule, we're seeing teams looking to be more effective at the foot of the rucks through quality mids or quality structures. I think this will continue and it makes the importance of rucks more questionable. In any case, as first ruck, Preuss is already impressive.

Thirdly, it's not like we can't and wouldn't recruit another ruckman. They don't have to be Todd quality, merely capable. I imagine for the short term it could be a mature second-tier type. Preuss himself, let's not forget, was recruited as a rookie from Qld.

We clearly have a different view about the value of ruckmen.

SACK SCOTT !! . What a limp dick performance . It's clear brown is injured .

Every time he opens his *en mouth about the AFL the umpires bend us over * off now how can you go from last week to this insipid soft utensil rubbish turn over crap . * off now . How can people say resign him .

Complacency and inconsistency has been a constant theme over the course of Brad's tenure. He lets the team drink their own bathwater after a good performance and very rarely do we constantly string together consistently good performances. It's not the youths fault either, this was an issue when we had experience as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Complacency and inconsistency has been a constant theme over the course of Brad's tenure. He lets the team drink their own bathwater after a good performance and very rarely do we constantly string together consistently good performances. It's not the youths fault either, this was an issue when we had experience as well.
My biggest disappointment is we either show up or we don't. We were red hot last week with pressure and intent. Under scott we've typically know nwhat we are going to get from the team in the first 5 minutes. 5 minutes in we know if it's going to be a long day at the office. We very rarely wrestle back momentum. When we are behind we typically stay behind.

For years we have bombed it long into our forward 50 and hoped. It's even worse when we are down. Well the problem is daw, brown, and wood are lead up forwards. It plays right into the oppositions hands.

Predictable.

He was comprehensively out coached today.

We altered our forward structure, they countered it brilliantly, and we did not alter our ball movement.

Yes he was, although he can't be held accountable for effort on an individual level. His issue again revolves around selection. He won't play Preuss because he can't cover enough ground, bit like Daw I suppose.

But and yep there is always a but- We had zero fwd pressure from the big fellas, Brown, Goldy and Hansen....... I mean really?

Yes he was, although he can't be held accountable for effort on an individual level. His issue again revolves around selection. He won't play Preuss because he can't cover enough ground, bit like Daw I suppose.

But and yep there is always a but- We had zero fwd pressure from the big fellas, Brown, Goldy and Hansen....... I mean really?

I agree he can't.

However this spare back thing where we consistently turn it over, it's a trap that we seem to fall into repeatedly.

If last week was our high end and this week is our low end, there's a way to go before we hit consistency.

Brown is either injured or is not yet capable of being the number one forward with very scant support.

Every time he opens his ****en mouth about the AFL the umpires bend us over **** off now how can you go from last week to this insipid soft utensil rubbish turn over crap . **** off now . How can people say resign him .

I say lets sign him up to another contract extension and put the club back another 10 years.

I agree he can't.

However this spare back thing where we consistently turn it over, it's a trap that we seem to fall into repeatedly.

If last week was our high end and this week is our low end, there's a way to go before we hit consistency.

Brown is either injured or is not yet capable of being the number one forward with very scant support.

Why would you play a spare down back when you're 40 points behind in the last quarter? Its dumb coaching period.

I agree he can't.

Why not Pruess * this clown has just gone back to old habits . Dry deck closed roof he would have mad a difference but Scott can't coach for ******* s**t . I think he let someone else to do the coaching last week . You can't be awsome one week think stink like a dead fox on the Hume highway the next

Why would you play a spare down back when you're 40 points behind in the last quarter? Its dumb coaching period.
I was referring to their loose man not ours.

Why not Pruess **** this clown has just gone back to old habits . Dry deck closed roof he would have mad a difference but Scott can't coach for ******* s**t . I think he let someone else to do the coaching last week . You can't be awsome one week think stink like a dead fox on the Hume highway the next

What crap.

Your contention is good win not Brad, bad loss all Brad.

It'd be completely f***ing absurd to run a football club that way.

Scott can coach guys- come on. Does he deserve another extended run?..... a different question.
Last week had a plan and it was executed brilliantly.

This week walked straight into a trap we've walked into before.

Who knows what we'll get next week.

He'll be here till next year at least , we just gotta roll with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back