Can a stadium pass the POSS vote in 2025?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm just wondering if people honestly believe the government proposal for a stadium is a good chance of passing the POSS vote come 2025. I would also like to know if people honestly believe the stadium price can be kept to $715 million considering construction costs are skyrocketing and most major projects are going well over budget.

I'm just wondering if people honestly believe the government proposal for a stadium is a good chance of passing the POSS vote come 2025. I would also like to know if people honestly believe the stadium price can be kept to $715 million considering construction costs are skyrocketing and most major projects are going well over budget.

Hasn't it already been passed in upper house?
It's now being assessed by Tasmanian Planning Commission.

Hasn't it already been passed in upper house?
It's now being assessed by Tasmanian Planning Commission.

Yes it's now going through the Projects of state significance process and then has to be voted on in mid late 2025. The vote was just to give it the go ahead to go through the POSS, so a long way to go and many have already said the chances of this getting through are extremely low.

2025? It takes that long?
Yes it could be early in 2025, but a lot believe the time it will require will mean the final vote won't be until late 2025. It's pretty concerning considering the state will have to fork several million out if it's not 50 percent complete by 2027 and several million if it's not complete by the 2029 season.

Yes it could be early in 2025, but a lot believe the time it will require will mean the final vote won't be until late 2025. It's pretty concerning considering the state will have to fork several million out if it's not 50 percent complete by 2027 and several million if it's not complete by the 2029 season.

Surely the club plays at a temporary home ground before the completion of Macquarie Point Stadium.

Surely the club plays at a temporary home ground before the completion of Macquarie Point Stadium.
Yes it will be playing at Bellerive and Utas stadium for it's inaugural season in 2028 but it's highly likely the stadium won't be ready by 2029 as well so that will cost the government several million.

Yes it can pass it. I dont know that it will, but by the time the second vote happens the following will hopefully be in place:

Club names and logo
Inaugral memberships sold
High performance centre under construction or completed.

With these things in place, and hopefully more, the team gets harder and harder to be voted out of existence by Labor. So they might vote it through, if they do, then its all over and we have a team.

Yes it can pass it. I dont know that it will, but by the time the second vote happens the following will hopefully be in place:

Club names and logo
Inaugral memberships sold
High performance centre under construction or completed.

With these things in place, and hopefully more, the team gets harder and harder to be voted out of existence by Labor. So they might vote it through, if they do, then its all over and we have a team.
It's too far down the road now.
Once planning commission do their thing and it (hopefully) gets ticked off by them it will be hard for it not to pass final vote.
Labor had their chance too completely knock it on head and didn't.

On SM-S906E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Once planning commission do their thing and it (hopefully) gets ticked off by them it will be hard for it not to pass final vote.

I'm not ruling out the possibility it could still be shut down in the PoSS process. I wish I could be totally optimistic and say that it 100% going to happen now, but I can't.

The problem is it is unlikely to pass the POSS process,how can you honestly believe it can get through that when you consider all the things it has to be judged by. The cost is one thing they are going to assess and it's very unlikely it's going to be kept to $715 million considering construction costs are skyrocketing and most major construction projects are going well over budget. The contract is also mostly likely going to be looked at as a poor one by them, so I honestly believe it has very little chance of getting the go ahead unfortunately.

I'm not ruling out the possibility it could still be shut down in the PoSS process. I wish I could be totally optimistic and say that it 100% going to happen now, but I can't.
I believe it's very unlikely to get through the POSS process and many people are saying the same. One of the biggest things that is going to be looked at will be will it be affordable for us Taxpayers.
If you look at how construction costs are going through the roof and nearly every major project now it going well over budget $715 million looks almost impossible. Every project that has gone through the POSS to date has failed,I personally think they have to at least have a good look at the stadium 02 proposal because if that is the best out of the two it must be seriously considered.

If the Libs win a majority at the election, I suspect they will withdraw the stadium from this process and go back to plan A — proceeding with the stadium through the Major Projects process without the extra scrutiny.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the Libs win a majority at the election, I suspect they will withdraw the stadium from this process and go back to plan A — proceeding with the stadium through the Major Projects process without the extra scrutiny.
If they win a majority in both houses, they can just walk it through the PoSS anyway. By the next election the stadium will be just about being built (unless there is an early election).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back