Can Punt Road Host AFL Matches?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 26, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
OKC, Coburg, Werribee, Storm, QPR
I was just thinking about this. While Princes Park is dearly missed by many, it can't be overlooked that it's now impossible to use it for AFL matches. A ground that is in good shape is Punt Road. If you cut off Brunton Road and cut down the trees around there, there is probably enough room to add another stand. At the moment there is the ME Bank Centre (I think that's getting a new name) which could have seats inside. And there is a grand stand which, if given a lick of paint and made stronger, could be useful. Apparently Richmond proposed a 40,000 seat redevelopment of Punt Road which to my knowledge got knocked back. What do you think?

I was just thinking about this. While Princes Park is dearly missed by many, it can't be overlooked that it's now impossible to use it for AFL matches. A ground that is in good shape is Punt Road. If you cut off Brunton Road and cut down the trees around there, there is probably enough room to add another stand. At the moment there is the ME Bank Centre (I think that's getting a new name) which could have seats inside. And there is a grand stand which, if given a lick of paint and made stronger, could be useful. Apparently Richmond proposed a 40,000 seat redevelopment of Punt Road which to my knowledge got knocked back. What do you think?
Eddie would have a sook,tried to turn Richmond Station into Victoria Park station.

How is it impossible for Princes Park to host AFL matches. All it needs is a quick make over, some extra parking and the railway line extended and it's fine.

Punt Road oval is right next to the MCG, parking would be horrendous if games were played both at the same time. It would cost a fortune to upgrade a ground that only holds about 2,000 (PP holds over 20,000) and the old wooden stand at Punt Road would have to be demolished as well. Overall you would be up for around $900 million. Plus you haven't played there since the late 60's and your membership base is so big you would need to build the ground to at leased 50, 000 to accommodate for all the tigers fans.

You should be happy to be playing nearly all your home games at the MCG and aren't stuck at Etihad like so many other clubs.

Last edited:
While Princes Park is dearly missed by many, it can't be overlooked that it's now impossible to use it for AFL matches. A ground that is in good shape is Punt Road. If you cut off Brunton Road and cut down the trees around there, there is probably enough room to add another stand. At the moment there is the ME Bank Centre

I drove past there a few days ago, there is a huge ******* building right next to the ground, there are barely any seats, and you want to close a road to put in a grandstand? Princess Park is 100 times in better condition. If your whole 'PP cant be used because it has a building next to it' is the entire argument your basing the 'impossible' reopening on, then you are an idiot. Punt road has a building on the wing (NOT behind the goals) which nobody is moving anywhere. PP far easier to reopen.

Eddie would have a sook,tried to turn Richmond Station into Victoria Park station.
Honestly though, why does anyone give a * about what anything Eddie thinks? He's basically a two year old with a belly that could fit another two year old inside.

Why are all the stadium ideas thrown up totally fanciful? Jesus have a think

Close Brunton Ave to put up a grandstand? Smh. Seriously? To have any sort of capacity you'd need to build into/over punt rd as well. And put seats in the ME Bank Centre. Lol.

+ the MCG is a very short walk away.

Lol
Even Eddie's idea sounds a bit more logical

I drove past there a few days ago, there is a huge ******* building right next to the ground, there are barely any seats, and you want to close a road to put in a grandstand? Princess Park is 100 times in better condition. If your whole 'PP cant be used because it has a building next to it' is the entire argument your basing the 'impossible' reopening on, then you are an idiot. Punt road has a building on the wing (NOT behind the goals) which nobody is moving anywhere. PP far easier to reopen.

If the pro option was to occur, the current me bank centre would be demolished.

The idea is the ground would have to move inwards (away from the roads) to allow enough space for stands, so its non negotiable.

The issue is of our that would move into space that is yarra park, so the mcc would have to agree to give up some of that land to the council which owns the rfc turf.

I cant see that happening unless we handed control of our lease over to the mcc, which we would be stupid to do.

Its all an academic exercise anyway, pro and pp were oy flagged to put pressure on etihad to sell. Now thats done, a third in melbourne will never happen (imo)

If the pro option was to occur, the current me bank centre would be demolished.

The idea is the ground would have to move inwards (away from the roads) to allow enough space for stands, so its non negotiable.

The issue is of our that would move into space that is yarra park, so the mcc would have to agree to give up some of that land to the council which owns the rfc turf.

I cant see that happening unless we handed control of our lease over to the mcc, which we would be stupid to do.

Its all an academic exercise anyway, pro and pp were oy flagged to put pressure on etihad to sell. Now thats done, a third in melbourne will never happen (imo)
Yep AFL has to maximise its investment in Etihad stadium now. Pre season matches closest gonna get for the old suburban grounds.

It would cost a lot of money to get it to 30-40k capacity that you'd want, so it could be possible with redevelopment, but it doesn't make much sense. How many games would Richmond play there per year? Probably a preseason games and then 1 or 2 against an interstate side per year? A lot of money for 2-3 games per year, unless the AFL would use it for other teams as well, which I doubt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back