Opinion Cardinal George Pell - Found Guilty, (Appeal Rejected 21/8)

Remove this Banner Ad

Very difficult to prove which is why Wilson in NSW although charged and found guilty, was overturned on appeal.

well there's a lot of grey area in the law - evidently. For example, a teacher might write love letters to a young student and "entertain" him in his housemaster's room, when the lad was boarding at the school, and the teacher might never have been found guilty of doing anything wrong.

Sometimes, cases rest on important matters like who the accused knows or whether important people might be roped into the matter, or whether perhaps the various people acting for the prosecution see a conviction as a negative for their own careers. In light of this, it's rather surprising that Pell has been found guilty at this stage, because he knows a lot of powerful people. However, the matter hasnt concluded yet....

On a different take on why some people get off, I have given advice to people who have been accused of wrong doing at work. The first question that I always asked was whether they were liked. I always viewed it as the key question after whether the person was guilty. In fact, in most cases it was a rhetorical question, because if they were liked, the matter wouldnt have gone official in the first place, even if the person had done something wrong.

So to answer your question simply, guilt isn't always the most important factor in these matters.

well there's a lot of grey area in the law - evidently. For example, a teacher might write love letters to a young student and "entertain" him in his housemaster's room, when the lad was boarding at the school, and the teacher might never have been found guilty of doing anything wrong.

Sometimes, cases rest on important matters like who the accused knows or whether important people might be roped into the matter, or whether perhaps the various people acting for the prosecution see a conviction as a negative for their own careers. In light of this, it's rather surprising that Pell has been found guilty at this stage, because he knows a lot of powerful people. However, the matter hasnt concluded yet....

On a different take on why some people get off, I have given advice to people who have been accused of wrong doing at work. The first question that I always asked was whether they were liked. I always viewed it as the key question after whether the person was guilty. In fact, in most cases it was a rhetorical question, because if they were liked, the matter wouldnt have gone official in the first place, even if the person had done something wrong.

So to answer your question simply, guilt isn't always the most important factor in these matters.
What the victims are looking for is justice.

What the victims are looking for is justice.

I'm not sure putting someone in jail gives the whole answer. I 'd like to see a bigger response. I wouldnt be going to mass tomorrow if I was a catholic. I wouldnt be sending in the weekly money to keep the show running.

i'd certainly like to see a bit more support for the victims too. It seems that every ex liberal PM is writing references for Pell, but the kids of the average punter who are the victims, just dont have the same level of support from the people in charge of this world. Andrew Bolt is basically going around telling the world that the victim is a liar, or a pawn of the left.

I'll mention a few names in an off hand way. Alan Jones, Prince Andrew, Roman Polanski, R Kelly.....

I'm not sure putting someone in jail gives the whole answer. I 'd like to see a bigger response. I wouldnt be going to mass tomorrow if I was a catholic. I wouldnt be sending in the weekly money to keep the show running.

i'd certainly like to see a bit more support for the victims too. It seems that every ex liberal PM is writing references for Pell, but the kids of the average punter who are the victims, just dont have the same level of support from the people in charge of this world. Andrew Bolt is basically going around telling the world that the victim is a liar, or a pawn of the left.

I'll mention a few names in an off hand way. Alan Jones, Prince Andrew, Roman Polanski, R Kelly.....
Bolt is a disgraceful excuse for a human being - one of these days they will tear him down and put up a witches hat instead and the world will be a fractionally better place for it.

Bolt is a disgraceful excuse for a human being - one of these days they will tear him down and put up a witches hat instead and the world will be a fractionally better place for it.
Not you too, what do you have against witches and their attire?:D

I can visualise a rubbish bag/can so much easier.

2019-03-02_223407.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Considering an appeal to the high court.
The church will continue to fund and support appeals because they seriously don’t consider he has done anything wrong.

He has very rich backers

Every now and then I do wonder why the great and the good, the supporters of the Catholic faith with infinite compassion and money for someone like Pell, dont put their money and power behind the people actually damaged by the members of their orders, in order to ensure justice a fair fight. One might think that would be the Christian thing to do. But I guess it might be christian but not very Christian.

He has very rich backers

Every now and then I do wonder why the great and the good, the supporters of the Catholic faith with infinite compassion and money for someone like Pell, dont put their money and power behind the people actually damaged by the members of their orders, in order to ensure justice a fair fight. One might think that would be the Christian thing to do. But I guess it might be christian but not very Christian.
Yes they could change a host of things for the better in one fell swoop just by selling the rings off the popes fingers but yet life goes on in Vatican City and beyond much as it always has.

Wow! You''re all very quick to condemn and judge a fellow human being. If you look at the evidence of his trial and appeal, how can anyone who wasn't there realistically think that Pell did what this anonymous witness attributes to him?

I hope he is allowed to appeal to the High Court. 2 of the 3 appeal judges made a subjective decision that the anonymous accuser was credible, the 3rd judge (criminal law expert) believed the jury verdict was wrong.

Wow! You''re all very quick to condemn and judge a fellow human being. If you look at the evidence of his trial and appeal, how can anyone who wasn't there realistically think that Pell did what this anonymous witness attributes to him?

I hope he is allowed to appeal to the High Court. 2 of the 3 appeal judges made a subjective decision that the anonymous accuser was credible, the 3rd judge (criminal law expert) believed the jury verdict was wrong.
Yep, let's buy him a present.

That's kind of why I'm relying on the jury who heard the evidence at his trial and convicted, a conviction upheld by the court of appeal. Whereas you are relying on what exactly?

That's kind of why I'm relying on the jury who heard the evidence at his trial and convicted, a conviction upheld by the court of appeal. Whereas you are relying on what exactly?
The appeal judges reasons for decision not to allow the appeal, and what I read in the media. The first jury was hung, the second jury found him guilty, but based on what one of the appeal judges (the criminal law expert) thought was faulty reasoning at law, hence the appeal.

The appeal judges reasons for decision not to allow the appeal, and what I read in the media. The first jury was hung, the second jury found him guilty, but based on what one of the appeal judges (the criminal law expert) thought was faulty reasoning at law, hence the appeal.

So you decided the two judges whose judgement you didn't like are "subjective" but the one whose judgement you did like is the "criminal law expert". The only person I'm seeing subjective here seems to be you?

I'm not being subjective at all actually.

Read the appeal judge's report mate. Most legal observers thought the other 2 judges would be influenced/guided by the criminal law judge, but they decided t go their own way instead.

The criminal law judge relied on evidence, whereas the other 2 relied on the perception about how honest - "the ring of truth" - the accusing witness appeared to be. There's subjectivity, right there!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back