Review Cats down Blues by 13 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah a couple of weeks in a row now he has burnt team mates more than once but now almost the only flaw in his game other than getting under the ball a bit.LOVE HIM TO DEATH THOUGH.
He burnt teammates more than once yesterday? Besides the obvious one, his first disposal (a behind when he had Hawkins free) he had 7 other disposals. 3 were goals and 3 were score involvements to his team mates. Then one other general disposal that wasn't a shot at goal.

To me that looks like a player who kicked 3.1 and created 3 scores for others - hardly a guy consistently burning team mates.

As is usual we tend to put the magnifying glass on one poor incident and forget that 90% of a players involvements were smart or team orientated decisions.

Two mentions in Robbo’s Tackle column tonight:

1. You beauty

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA – APRIL 27: [PLAYERCARD]Jeremy Cameron[/PLAYERCARD] of the Cats celebrates a goal during the 2024 AFL Round 07 match between the Geelong Cats and the Carlton Blues at the Melbourne Cricket Ground on April 27, 2024 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images)

The Buddy Franklin Appreciation Weekend was welcomed, even if it was just an opportunity to watch highlights of his stellar career. The closest current player to Buddy is Jeremy Cameron. Cameron played his 237th game on Saturday and has kicked 603 goals. At 237 games, Franklin had kicked 759 goals. Franklin has Cameron in every statistical measure in the game, but it must be said we are talking about a future Hall of Fame legend. Cameron is a future Hall of Famer and right now is probably the best player in the league. Another Hall of Famer, Terry Wallace, agrees. “If every player in the AFL was lined up & I had first pick, I’m going Jeremy Cameron.” Wallace said on X. “Clearly, others will see it differently but he is my pick.” Cameron is a freakish athlete, just like Buddy, although he played close to goal on Saturday. He kicked four goals on Lewis Young and then a goal on Brodie Kemp. He was too slick for Young. One time, he took him to a stoppage and ran through it, gathered the ball and snapped a goal, just like how Buddy used to do it. Part of the arsenal of being No. 1 is nailing the big moments. Cameron kicked 5.1 from 17 disposals. At the start of the last quarter, when the game was alive, Charlie Curnow, Sam Durdin and Tom De Koning all kicked behinds, and Harry McKay kicked another just before the Blues kicked four goals in a row.

2. The professional Cats

The Cats are still unbeaten, seven weeks into the season. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images.

If you were to describe Geelong’s profile you’d have the system at No. 1 and defence at No.2. Their skill level should be No.3. Their three highest-rated players on Saturday were Jeremy Cameron, Gryan Miers and Max Holmes, three players who can get the ball from Point A to Point B. Surely, at this point, Miers is the All Australian small forward, a position which doesn’t really describe him, if that makes sense. He’s a forward-half player and not a small forward. Against the Blues, Geelong’s transition from defence was, at times, immaculate. Don’t worry about them being too old and too slow, worry about them being too skilful, because ball movement is not always about leg speed. The Cats did the Blues on the rebound. And then they kicked goals which is not always easy. They kicked a phenomenal 18.10 from 45 entries. The Blues kicked 15.15 from 66, which was wasteful but at least they got it in there. Elsewhere, the Bulldogs kicked 10.11 from 50 entries and Brisbane 8.11 from 48 entries. That all said, the Cats have their issues. They were smashed early in clearances, 66 inside 50s is far too many and Patrick Dangerfield has another hamstring injury. Tom Hawkins was goalless for the third consecutive match, but you have to wonder if maybe his role was to try to take Jacob Weitering out of the action. The Blues defensive leader had 10 disposals and two intercept marks in the first half and nine disposals and four intercept marks in the second half. It’s just a theory.

Scott admitted in the post game presser it’s obviously not the plan….. I mean we plan to give the Dees 20+ more inside 50’s next week..? Haha cmon of course not …..
Well, what choice do we have? You can only dance with the shoes you've got and we're a decent clearance player short in the rotation

Honestly I think a lot of people are seeing something that is not there with all this anti Geelong stuff.

I think overall the commentary around Geelong is incredibly complimentary and they were constantly praising their clinical efficiency yesterday.

Not sure what people are after tbh or why bothers people.
Really? I thought Dunstall was going to smash the desk. A couple of 50/50's or 40/60 decisions in a row went our way and Kingy was saying it must feel like they're playing against 22 (18 Cats and the 4 umpires). They praised Geelong's efficiency but in a "how can they keep getting away with this?!" and rued every Carlton miss as if they had put their house up as collateral for a bet.

They death rode Geelong until they couldn't possibly avoid praising them to explain what the hell had happened. But it was very much in the same slant as the angry Carlton supporters in the game day thread - "if we'd kicked straight we'd have belted you guys by 10 goals".

O'Connor was one of our best last week against Brisbane and rendered Neale to mainly ineffective disposals. He got a bit lost yesterday chasing Walsh but he did limit him to a minor extent. At 190cm and the ability to run all day I think he has it over Atkins. Coming on as sub Atkins had some energy to burn and probably sub is a good role for him. The idea that MOC cannot play football was ok 3 or 4 years ago but not in 2024.

Oh yeah, I agree about Duncan, he is our most composed ball user next to Stengle.
I forgot to mention Duncan yesterday but he was all class and absolutely instrumental in executing those incisive transitions from defence to attack. Just smart decision after smart decision and executed at an impossibly high skill level. If Carlton had him across their half back line and on the wing their efficiency would've lifted dramatically.

19 effective disposals - only Cripps and Acres had more. And only one player, Zuthrie, had more rebound 50s.

Kane Cornes raised a good point this morning on the AFL website roundup video that Danger might need to stop with the sprinting/hard running side of his game, slow his pace down, and become more of an endurance runner to protect his hamstrings.
Not the first time that has been suggested. Dangerfield has suffered multiple injuries and/or concussions over his career due to his Kamikaze attack on the ball. He would be well aware of it but obviously can only play one way. It would be better for the team if he could tone it down slightly so he can stay on the park but I can't see it happening.

Should Have : is purely your opinion
Dempsey is a forward thinking footballer
Plans the outcome prior to possession.
Asked, would give a reason for his action.
He would get injured and lose the contest.
Cats were leading comfortably at the time.
Had the game outcome been on the line...
Definitely would have committed to contact.

My lad played AFL
Often asked about his in game decisions.
He Always had a valid reason why did so.

Why didn't you tackle him?
Has 10kg on me, brushed me off, strolled into goal.
Forced him onto left foot, kick got a lucky bounce.

Why did you go for a one hand mark?
Ball was kicked behind me, Would have slid over
Tried to knock it forward and run onto it
The ball then bounced at a right angle to him.
Great take…. Almost too sensible for BF!

I agree that the club will be fine with the contest…he just needed to stick the tackle and a non issue. Of course he didn’t

Have to love all the Carlton supporters on social media saying "We'll beat them in 6 weeks".

Only issue with that is we meet again in 8 weeks time, not 6. They actually play Essendon in 6 weeks.
They're not the brightest bunch. There's a splash of Richmond supporter-esque mouth frothing, bad loser mentality and incessant whinging.

There's not too much you need to change to make that perfect.

Thank bloody goodness for that!!!! Umpires, we're awful - and deserve their umpiring. Certificate to be revoked! Give up Carlton!

Staging is an offence now

I know - we've had players fined for staging in previous seasons

But as it stands, the MRO has fined Henry for striking and not Willams for staging

Henry/Geelong can submit a written appeal, and even if that's accepted by the panel with Henry no longer having to pay a fine, it doesn't then equate to Williams being fined for staging

As of this afternoon's MRO findings, Willams has no case to answer and that's not going to change

Kicks two a game he has done his job . Bangs 40+ for the year he has had a good year. He knows it…. Hence goes for the sticks more often than not. Mostly out the backers….. doesn’t get too involved otherwise. Jaidyn Stephenson kangaroos very similar, although clarko has axed him I think.
Very, very interesting take. Unfortunately it's incorrect.

O.Henry averages 9 disposals a game this season. 3 are shots at goal, 3 are other score involvements (i.e score assists) and 3 are general disposals (finds a team mate and it does not result in a score). He's going at 1 direct goal assist a game - this is actually top 25 in the AFL.

He mostly plays deep forward, so I would say 90% more of his 3 shots a game are entirely justified. 2/3 of his possessions are ending up in scores and from that it's an equal split of shots himself and shots he creates for team mates.

Last year Henry was having 2.8 shots at goal, 5 score involvements and just 0.3 goal assists a game from his 10 disposals. So his playmaking for team mates has increased.

The problem was listening to Twitter Carlton fans

Oh man, if only it was that easy, but they do your head in. Over excited and self indulgent.
Only one consolation in Blues going from easy beats to maybe runners, and that is it's not Tigers or Dawks.

Edit: Or the filth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ollie dominates ?
He's an efficient player. Our whole team is based around quality over quantity when it comes to disposals. Henry's job is mostly to stay deep and kick goals or create scores for others. 6 score involvements a game from 9 disposals is incredibly efficient.

I think Scott knows a bit more than me or you and has decided we don't need O.Henry to do his best Miers impression up on the wing. With Hawkins struggling it especially important that Henry provides a good target and finishes off our attacks. But it's absolutely incorrect to say he isn't helping others when half of his score involvements are score assists for team mates.

Really? I thought Dunstall was going to smash the desk. A couple of 50/50's or 40/60 decisions in a row went our way and Kingy was saying it must feel like they're playing against 22 (18 Cats and the 4 umpires). They praised Geelong's efficiency but in a "how can they keep getting away with this?!" and rued every Carlton miss as if they had put their house up as collateral for a bet.

They death rode Geelong until they couldn't possibly avoid praising them to explain what the hell had happened. But it was very much in the same slant as the angry Carlton supporters in the game day thread - "if we'd kicked straight we'd have belted you guys by 10 goals".
Initially, I was so pleased with no BT. Like you King + Dunstall were super annoying. I thought King + Chief, on the ground at half time (?) were insincere with their praise. King was speaking through gritted teeth. Chief, just going through the motions. I'd love to listen to KROCK, but find it annoying their commentary is behind the broadcast + can't bear to pause play to catch up to KROCK. May just need to adjust.

Frankly, I'm getting to the point where, the more the commentators hate us, the better we are doing + just laugh at them.

No swapping on the mark - it was changed ahead of last season or the season before that once Player X is standing the mark they can't change with Player Y

It's the idea that an opposition player takes a mark on the 50m arc and we've got Miers standing the mark. We can't then swap him with Conway who obviously ads a fair bit of height and suddenly it's a slightly harder kick for goal

In this case, McKay was standing the mark and Cripps tried to swap with him
I'm just speculating here. Cripps was standing on the mark for Cameron. McKay refused to move away from the left side of the mark. Cameron being left footed would have been forced to kick over the mark instead of run onto his left side to kick the ball. Hence McKay was interfering with his right.

Last edited:
I know - we've had players fined for staging in previous seasons

But as it stands, the MRO has fined Henry for striking and not Willams for staging

Henry/Geelong can submit a written appeal, and even if that's accepted by the panel with Henry no longer having to pay a fine, it doesn't then equate to Williams being fined for staging

As of this afternoon's MRO findings, Willams has no case to answer and that's not going to change

I know we are incensed but don't think the Club will enter into it.
Just hit the petty cash tin and get on with it without distraction.
Carlton will be moaning it would have meant a goal for them, or less for us.
Good.

Very, very interesting take. Unfortunately it's incorrect.

O.Henry averages 9 disposals a game this season. 3 are shots at goal, 3 are other score involvements (i.e score assists) and 3 are general disposals (finds a team mate and it does not result in a score). He's going at 1 direct goal assist a game - this is actually top 25 in the AFL.

He mostly plays deep forward, so I would say 90% more of his 3 shots a game are entirely justified. 2/3 of his possessions are ending up in scores and from that it's an equal split of shots himself and shots he creates for team mates.

Last year Henry was having 2.8 shots at goal, 5 score involvements and just 0.3 goal assists a game from his 10 disposals. So his playmaking for team mates has increased.
Be nice to see stats for clutch grabs followed by clutch goals. Has ice in his veins. How old is he, 21?

FFS critics give the rest of us a break.

I know we are incensed but don't think the Club will enter into it.
Just hit the petty cash tin and get on with it without distraction.
Carlton will be moaning it would have meant a goal for them, or less for us.
Good.

I think appealing a fine is slightly less involved than appealing a suspension - it's a written submission that's then read by someone involved in the process

The fine is either upheld or you get lucky and no money to pay. As the fine won't stop Henry playing next week, it's kind of a free hit and on Wednesday you find out if you lose your match payment or not

Initially, I was so pleased with no BT. Like you King + Dunstall were super annoying. I thought King + Chief, on the ground at half time (?) were insincere with their praise. King was speaking through gritted teeth. Chief, just going through the motions. I'd love to listen to KROCK, but find it annoying their commentary is behind the broadcast + can't bear to pause play to catch up to KROCK. May just need to adjust.

Frankly, I'm getting to the point where, the more the commentators hate us, the better we are doing + just laugh at them.
I listened to BT on MMM for about 5 minutes. He missed lots of passages of play, called the scores wrong and was just woeful.

He must have some damning pictures.

Blitz in there 5 times as ruck so only 7 otherwise. I would love to see him play more out of centre bounce. Just look more solid with his size against some of the monsters from opposition
Blicavs has been down on form, he just doesn't look right. We need him up and running. Perhaps he can play his old key backman role where he isn't trying to chase around smaller quicker midfielders and wingmen. He could take the ruckwork in the backline the way Hawkins does in the forward line.

Last edited:
I think this also applies to the JK tackle on Cottrel before he kicked a goal- JK had both his arms pinned, if JK swings him down then high chance its a dangerous tackle. 5 years ago cottrell would have ended getting slammed.
JK could have swung him to the left without smacking his head into the ground. Kolo won't be so stupid the next time.

Michael Gleeson at The Age:

Buddy good player, that Jeremy Cameron

Michael GleesonApril 28, 2024 — 6.00pm

On the weekend Sydney played Hawthorn and feted Buddy Franklin, a great of both clubs, the man who is his closest approximation kicked his 600th goal.

Franklin had his premiership success at Hawthorn but rounded his career, and achieved a more rounded level of recognition and success, by going to Sydney.

Jeremy Cameron won no flags and enjoyed no comparable cut-through to Franklin’s when he was at Greater Western Sydney, but has arrived at Geelong and elevated himself into a modern great.

Irresistible: Geelong goalkicker [PLAYERCARD]Jeremy Cameron[/PLAYERCARD].

Cameron won a best and fairest, was twice All-Australian and a Coleman medallist at the Giants. With 427 goals in 171 appearances, he was an exceptional player in a very good GWS side that regularly made finals.

Yet he has been even better at the Cats in his late 20s, and now early 30s. He’s won one flag, another All-Australian blazer, might win another premiership this year and has booted 196 goals in 66 games.

He will play his 250th later this year and with his rangy Michael Tuck-esque build looks capable of playing deep into his 30s and pressing beyond 300 to 350 games. He could retire with more than 800 goals.

If he hasn’t been a more important and influential recruit even than Brownlow medallist Paddy Dangerfield, he is his equal. If modern Brownlows could be won by anyone other than a midfielder, Cameron would be a favourite.

Geelong handed over effectively the draft capital they netted from losing Tim Kelly in order to secure Cameron at the end of 2020, but were still able to nab Max Holmes at pick 20. Yes, it was a COVID-affected draft, but more than one recruiter should be embarrassed by letting Holmes get that far.

Within two years of that draft the Cats had returned and picked the eyes out of it, trading again to secure Tanner Bruhn, whom the Giants had taken at pick 11, and Ollie Henry, Collingwood’s pick 17.

No, those clubs didn’t want to lose those players, but that is not the point. Geelong got them. The net effect is that as well as securing Cameron, the Cats still brought in three first-round selections.

[PLAYERCARD]Jeremy Cameron[/PLAYERCARD] kicks career goal No.600.

Those younger players are starting to have the impact you expect now in their fourth seasons, yet Cameron, probably the game’s best forward right now (even bearing in mind the fact he has been spending time on a wing this year) is the prime reason they are undefeated, and a year after missing the eight look once more a premiership fancy.

Harry McKay was terrific on Saturday with his contested marking, while Charlie Curnow is the most muscularly athletic and exciting forward to watch. Yet neither plays like Cameron.

I'm just speculating here. Cripps was standing on the mark for Cameron. McKay refused to move away from the left side of the mark. Cameron being left footed would have been forced to kick over the mark instead of run onto his left side to kick the ball. Hence McKay was interfering with his rights.
Interesting theory but the umpire, after initially just saying "stand" could then be heard saying "Harry stand", so it was clear he considered McKay to be standing the mark initially even though Cripps was standing there with his arms up and McKay had started moving out of the zone.

How the players are meant to guess who an umpire has in mind when he or she says "stand", when there are more than one player standing at the mark, is beyond me.

My view on it is that it was just a poor piece of umpiring. Needlessly technical and confusing for the players and fans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back