Game Day Cats V Blues 8 quarter Preseason Blockbuster.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I’ve watched
Half way through half time I can just see why Jhye Clarkeeeee has so much love
Kid is talented
Some of his disposals were a bit questionable but preseason game and all that. I like him a lot.

Cats twitter posted that it was just precautionary (very ssoon after, so unsure of reliability):

Anyone that actually watched him go to ground will find it very hard to believe that it was just precautionary.

Hopefully it isn’t overly bad and just on the minor side… but there was definitely something there.

Guthrie going down turns a pretty decent day into a bit of a disappointment.

Fingers crossed hey.

We really do need him in the middle imo.

I'm the opposite, I've actually enjoyed his commentary. Preseason game, just good conversational stuff from Ed Curnow and very complimentary of the cats and the woman (sorry, not sure of her name) has been pretty solid too.

The delivery could've been better, but couldn't fault the content and insight both commentators provided.

Anyone that actually watched him go to ground will find it very hard to believe that it was just precautionary.

Hopefully it isn’t overly bad and just on the minor side… but there was definitely something there.

Fingers crossed hey.

Whatever it was gave way before he kicked the ball it just dribbled on to the foot no follow through in the kicking action.

I'm the opposite, I've actually enjoyed his commentary. Preseason game, just good conversational stuff from Ed Curnow and very complimentary of the cats and the woman (sorry, not sure of her name) has been pretty solid too.
Ed has a soft spot for the Cats.

His half game last year was very, very solid - he looked quick, spread really well and tackled hard. Butters' vibes. A shame he got injured but hopefully has allowed him to be semi-bulletproofed
Half way through half time I can just see why Jhye Clarkeeeee has so much love
Kid is talented

Fingers crossed hey.

The truth is probably somewhere midway. Not precautionary, but not overly serious either.

Said it earlier, I'd guess it's a 3-4 week type injury, and with our track record that's more like 5-6.

3 and a bit weeks till round 1, has him back round 3 or 4. Pretty similar to how they held back Duncan last year.

Like to see the second group of the trial to see some of the other players...

Id say guys the size of Conway ..are probably not going to produce their best in Feb when its 38degrees...He seems our version of Darcy ..and come the cool climbs of winter ..he will be a great options for us if he is fit. More than anything id say he just needs game time...to play and play and build his experience ..meanwhile ensurig that he does stress that huge frame. History also says its rare for Stanley to play week in week out ...Considering RS's age if they play 10-15 games each then we probably are on the right track

Really I cant see how anyone would be definitive about any player on today. COS for xample..looked a bit tenative a times but then did a couple of nice things. First run around in the 14 ..odds are what ever he does next time will be better ...but like SamDek.. we probably needs a year seasoning to play a key role down back. Probably plays some games and then we see how he goes but would it surprse anyone if we prefer more mature bodies.

Id say Demp showed a bit of what we have seen before in the VFL, Mannagh showed that he may be able to make time and space for himself ..if he can link up to a forward he will be very handy... but he probably will be ina group of players pushing hard for a chance.

I wonder if we try to play Neale and then use Jez more around the ball. He is as creative as anyone we have.
Love the last line in your comment - Could just imagine Jez setting up the goal from Mid/Half back - and/or streamin back into 50 and snagging one himself
That could be a real watch and a dangerous strategy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love that when you love you go fully in! Tanner and now Mannagh (ahhh. Maybe they need to rhrym). Love it

i agree that mannagh did all he could in the 2nd half. He is afl ready

issue I think is they can’t have both of him and Dempsey in same forward line with Miers close and Stengle….and then there is Neale who also showed what he can do today.

we will get a proper read with the squad next week. I think 6 on the bench

I just back my judgement in haha. Get some right and some wrong. I think shaun looked clearly ready today though. I agree dempsey is very close though too and its hard to fit both in. Maybe one of them will have to play up on a wing (especially if guthrie misses r1).

Some of his disposals were a bit questionable but preseason game and all that. I like him a lot.
Yeah butchered but he wasn't on his own there. As others have mentioned numerous times, Holmes kicking out of the backline was terrible but I'd still trial it. It was so windy I'd give him a pass before putting a line through it just yet.

Yeah butchered but he wasn't on his own there. As others have mentioned numerous times, Holmes kicking out of the backline was terrible but I'd still trial it. It was so windy I'd give him a pass before putting a line through it just yet.
I am willing to grab the blackest sharpie available to put a line through Holmes on the backline.

We just need him in the middle or wing

Yeah exactly that on the last one. I feel like we were battling to get space and his first few steps were just either breaking lines for him or else drawing players and making space for others and making others better. We just visibly found more space at stoppage with him there.
One thing I'd say is we are hard markers for a blokes first match in a new position/role. It would be baffling if somehow he was a jet back flanker with all the right positioning, decision making and skill execution.

I certainly wouldn't want him as a back flanker permanently. And when he does it I'd want him high up like a de facto wingman anyway (think Houston style). But it seems clear that for all of his limitations even someone like O'Connor suits that back flank role a bit better. He still has some pace and line breaking ability when he's not clogged up in midfield. It just feels weird to have him further ahead of the ball than Holmes.

I wouldn't dismiss the experiment entirely. But I'd probably rather him as a wingman that spends some time as a burst stoppage player, than a back flanker who sometimes pushes up to the wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back