Review Preseason hit out against Dons and Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have high hopes for Conway from the little I have seen.. but it is obviously very little which puts an a steric next to it. Bruhn really disappointed me in the practice match. He did very little the first half when Merritt and parish were tearing us apart in the middle. I was looking to him to See if he would take the game up to them yet he didn’t.

I would agree he is tracking to be a solid B grader at the moment, much similar to a Mitch Duncan career. Never quite an AA level, but a good solid reliable player.

Comparing him to one of the most underrated players in the competition over the last 10 years. I'll be wrapped off he's ends up anywhere near as good as Duncan.

This MC picked Jack Henry every game from his 2nd season. Same with Miers.

They picked Mullin and O'Connor after a handful of VFL games. They picked Dempsey a few games after stepping off a basketball court.

They picked Holmes for finals in his first year.

They twice rushed Sam Simpson back from injury for finals series.

They've dropped Parfitt, Menegola, Dahlhaus, Bews and O'Connor in the past 2 seasons

None of this suggests a match committee that is conservative.
?? Obviously they can't pick the same best 22 every game, week on week, year on year. Many of those were changes forced by retirement or injury? Dahlhaus and Parfitt were legitimately dropped.

Dempsey and Mullin occasional games usually when next up because of injury.

Bews and Menegola were out of the team because of injury, not dropped initially - Menegola lost his spot when he missed over half the 2022 season and couldn't break back in.

Henry and Miers replaced retirees (the reason they went from zero games in one season to virtually every game the next).

It wasn't a criticism - it's good list management - but the MC have (rightly) been reluctant to get youth in the team by dropping established senior players to the VFL, preferring to manage / rotate players, or wait for senior players to retire. Certainly reluctant to play premiership players in the VFL round 1, making it clear that their year and career is over barring spots opening up via injury.

More likely, if we have good luck with injuries, the MC get games into Clark, Dempsey and Mannagh by managing/resting and rotating senior players and work out the best 22 over the course of the season, not based on a couple of preseason games.

Way too much cuteness 💙🤍💙🤍💙
The pure joy in this sweet girl

Attachments

• 48CAD5A3-460E-4EEE-B158-07B5EB705292.jpeg
    48CAD5A3-460E-4EEE-B158-07B5EB705292.jpeg
    759.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 8BC04A9B-8F44-4A17-AD34-DB0F3869B218.jpeg
    8BC04A9B-8F44-4A17-AD34-DB0F3869B218.jpeg
    772.7 KB · Views: 55
Bowes started his career in the midfield with the very good Suns group and played well there before being injured and on return was forced by Dew to play off half back the whole reason for him being at Geelong and bringing pick 7 (clark) to the Cats was Chris Scotts promise of a midfield spot, he already knew like us that had seen plenty of this young bloke he was AFL capable as an on baller.

Well I hope he’s there round one. But the argument he played as a midfielder 6 years ago, therefore wouldn’t benefit from the game time there leading into the season doesn’t really hold much weight to me. Especially when he didn’t play there at all last year.

Particularly Clark, as he's in a long list of Mannagh, Dempsey, Neale, & Mullin and so on who appear to be fighting for that 21st or 22nd spot.

He deserved a shot to get a full game in his natural position as a bit of a dress rehearsal.

Many of us would prefer that we just left MOC out and made the whole thing simple, but sometimes we can't have nice things.
MOC looks to be flatlining. Has his moments, but not enough. Needs to show something more this season or he will be overtaken.

I worry about anyone who purports to understand ruck infringements.
Yeah, I definitely don't know what's going on in there. You'd think a professional ruckman towards the end of his career might have a clue. Seems not.

Yeah, I definitely don't know what's going on in there. You'd think a professional ruckman towards the end of his career might have a clue. Seems not.
They call it ruck lotto for a reason.

Ruckman, team mates and spectators have been utterly clueless on the merit of ruck free kicks for as long as the game has been played.

Well I hope he’s there round one. But the argument he played as a midfielder 6 years ago, therefore wouldn’t benefit from the game time there leading into the season doesn’t really hold much weight to me. Especially when he didn’t play there at all last year.
That could use a little more research Bowes breakout year with the Suns on ball was 2021 that's not 6 years ago injured for the most part of 2022 came back and played in the back half towards the latter end of the year before being traded to the Cats where he was used down back and on the pill as required 2023 season.

Umpires should genuinely just let ruck contests go unless there is a clear high contact. Let them wrestle. Let them grapple. But arm contact above shoulders is a free kick.

Half the time they are just guessing with the free kicks and it shows.
It should just be adjudicated the same as a marking contest. You can jostle but not push or grapple, no chopping the arms, no high contact. The difference is that much of the time in the ruck both players are infringing on each other, hence the lottery. I think the umpires do a decent job in the circumstances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It should just be adjudicated the same as a marking contest. You can jostle but not push or grapple, no chopping the arms, no high contact. The difference is that much of the time in the ruck both players are infringing on each other, hence the lottery. I think the umpires do a decent job in the circumstances.
Agreed we don't want to sanitize the ruck contest to much it needs to remain a battle of strength and stamina.Great part of our game

My pet hate with ruck contests is the stronger player being penalised for being stronger. They ARE grappling with each other. It's not an infringement just because one of them is physically better at it.

Back to thinking about what this game means for our season...

I'm starting to wonder whether we see a more explicit plan to concede the midfield this year and focus more on transition from the back half. The talk about the focus on running power and the move of Holmes to half back clearly square with that. Winning a flag with a crap midfield can be done - Hawthorn and Richmond showed that recently - but it requires pretty much champions on every other line and an excellent/disciplined gameplay. It'll be interesting to see if we have the latter (we have something close to the former, particularly forward of centre).

MOC looks to be flatlining. Has his moments, but not enough. Needs to show something more this season or he will be overtaken.

Hes a decent squad player because hes very hardworking and versatile (you need that in depth) but id be picking clark dempsey and mannagh ahead of him.

I'm starting to wonder whether we see a more explicit plan to concede the midfield this year and focus more on transition from the back half. The talk about the focus on running power and the move of Holmes to half back clearly square with that. Winning a flag with a crap midfield can be done - Hawthorn and Richmond showed that recently - but it requires pretty much champions on every other line and an excellent/disciplined gameplay. It'll be interesting to see if we have the latter (we have something close to the former, particularly forward of centre).

I dont think we will just willingly concede the midfield (that approach isnt in our dna) but i do think the coaches would know at times top 4 midfields will beat ours (its our weakness). So you would hope they have another plan to get enough quality ball to our fwd line (which is top 4 quality) rather than from centre bounce. As you say the way for this might be slingshot from half back which would explain why they are trying holmes there.

I wonder if he’ll swing from onball to half back not just within games but, likely Stanley, based on the position of the ball. Starts in the centre, moves behind the ball when it’s inside attacking 50 etc.

Tigers MF in its flag era has included- Martin, Cotchin, Prestia, Edwards, McIntosh, Ellis- hardly crap
Hawks MF in its 3-peat has included- Mitchell, Hodge, Smith, Lewis, Sewell, Burgoyne, Hill, Shiels- even less crap, if not brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back