Autopsy PRESEASON - Geelong v Brisbane Thursday Mar 2 2023, 710pm @Holmes Arena

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
STK, Miers and Close exceeded expectations at a young age. They played very well last year.
They were perhaps at all Australian levels. How much more can they improve?

Zuthrie on the other hand will improve.

I see the upside being Bruhn in the midfield which has to be bolstered, and Bowes for his run.
STK, Miers and Close exceeded expectations at a young age. They played very well last year.

I see the upside being Bruhn in the midfield which has to be bolstered, and Bowes for his run.
As And_ROOS said, improvement could easily come in the form of increased consistency. Miers is a good example - he had a really uneven year but has started very well. I reckon his potential is underrated. He looked sharp when others didn't against the Lions and a year of him at his best would be great to see. And I'd also be very surprised if we've seen the best of SDK in terms of his ability to influence a game.

As And_ROOS said, improvement could easily come in the form of increased consistency. Miers is a good example - he had a really uneven year but has started very well. I reckon his potential is underrated. He looked sharp when others didn't against the Lions and a year of him at his best would be great to see. And I'd also be very surprised if we've seen the best of SDK in terms of his ability to influence a game.
I think a great example for Close, Miers etc where you think they might not be able to increase their talent, is Stevie J.

Stevie J hit his talent ceiling very early. We all saw early on he was elite to the point where commentators pointed out players hitting snap shots from set shots were mimicking Johnson.
He went up gears by building up his tank. That lead to better consistency.

Close is very quick, imagine you build his tank further.

Miers has a great tank, but is sometimes inconsistent.

Plenty of room for improvement.

SDK has already said himself that improvement for him will come from adding to his offensive game, rather then just being defensive.
Miers and close can both hit the scoreboard more. If both can kick 30+ goals next year would be great for us as most of our goals from smalls came from 1 player, the others could help if Stengle is shut down by opposition.

Always ways to improve.

SDK has already said himself that improvement for him will come from adding to his offensive game, rather then just being defensive.
Miers and close can both hit the scoreboard more. If both can kick 30+ goals next year would be great for us as most of our goals from smalls came from 1 player, the others could help if Stengle is shut down by opposition.

Always ways to improve.
We did actually see Miers profit from oppositions trying to shut down Stengle. When we played the crows last year, they ran two on stengle at stoppages and Miers kicked three. Stengle still kicked three because he's a gun and it was the crows but it was evident trying to shut him down lets our other small forwards get space they can use.

I think it says something though that Zuthrie, Close and Miers are getting praise. Two from the rookie draft and one from the 50s, that's some damn good talent identification.

We did actually see Miers profit from oppositions trying to shut down Stengle. When we played the crows last year, they ran two on stengle at stoppages and Miers kicked three. Stengle still kicked three because he's a gun and it was the crows but it was evident trying to shut him down lets our other small forwards get space they can use.

I think it says something though that Zuthrie, Close and Miers are getting praise. Two from the rookie draft and one from the 50s, that's some damn good talent identification.
I think their talent at that stage was probably correctly identified, with the possible exception of close.

These players were developed into what they are

The idea that sub 25 year old players have hit their ceiling because they had their breakout year is pretty ludicrous. There's no guarantee that each player has a better year in 2023 but last season if anything gave them a platform to continue to flourish.

I don't know how many games Esava gets, but after watching the Dogs with 4 talls up forward, and Melbourne with Grundy, Brown and Gawn, he will at the very least get two games this season.
Thought Sav got exposed a few times for just not actually playing on his man, as a key back hes got to rememebwr to actually defend not just look to intercept mark everything, I suspect theyll give him the opportunity but wont be shocked if hes in the VFL inside a month if its not working.

Thought Sav got exposed a few times for just not actually playing on his man, as a key back hes got to rememebwr to actually defend not just look to intercept mark everything, I suspect theyll give him the opportunity but wont be shocked if hes in the VFL inside a month if its not working.
No VFL until Jack is back, at least, and by then, he'll be a key player.

I hope.

No VFL until Jack is back, at least, and by then, he'll be a key player.

I hope.
I'm not convinced personally, people seem to forget we played 8 games without Jack last year and didn't feel the need to bring another key defender into the side, the notion that Sav just now gets a free pass I find a bit baffling really.

I'm not convinced personally, people seem to forget we played 8 games without Jack last year and didn't feel the need to bring another key defender into the side, the notion that Sav just now gets a free pass I find a bit baffling really.
Not free, no Hawk either, Sav is fitter and more confident

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeff went on to say that we just don't have the psychological drive of other teams, and that Brisbane beat us when it matters..
I absolutely love every pre season that muppets will continue to over read meaningless pre season games

Never ceases to amaze me

When you play half your side and then manage half that sides minutes its fairly obvious you are going through the motions, weve never gave a s**t about pre season games.
The fact we only lost i50’s by 2 and had 15 scoring shots from our 53 i50’s and won the center clearances I’m pretty certain the margin is actually pretty decent considering Brisbanes elite midfield and 98% full list playing.
Zorko is on the way down but he’s still in there best 22 as a HF and Gardner wasn’t playing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back