Preview Rd 2 Adelaide V Geelong, Fri 22nd Mar 2024 7:40pm @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We’ve probably got to accept that they will continue to try to fast track Mullin based on the raw ingredients he has and not because he’s the best option.
Blicavs, Hawkins, C Guthrie, J Henry were given games before they were really ready for AFL, and in the long term it's turned out very well for them. Sometimes you have to back in players who have a higher talent ceiling than others.

Tell me what Mullin has done?

Btw, Wiltshire would have been probably my 3rd choice.
To our eyes for two hours probably not much.

But as someone earlier ITT mentioned we've had a long line of whipping boys be Wells draft successes whilst dawned the very players Constable, Jansen and Parfitt are busts.

I wouldn't pick him. Would have gone Bews or Knevitt but he won't be the difference in the game.

25% of that was against WCE
Same as Curnow, not sure why that still gets brought up as a negative. Both were clearly the two leading KPFs of 2023 and kicked bags against good defences as well.

Some very sad news for Tex this week though, his Father in Law passed away quite suddenly only 2 days ago, so we will be wearing black armbands tonight. Tex is still playing according to Nicks this morning.

I think for structure I'm keeping Mannagh as sub. Mullin behind the ball to allow Holmes into midfield full time and O'Connor up to the wing more letting Blicavs go inside more. With Mannagh in for Bruhn we probably have 1 too many forwards and 1 too few defenders/midfielders. It could work but we haven't really tested it.

But I'd be looking to swing the sub early. Ideally mid way through the 3rd I'd look to sub Mannagh in probably for Stanley and try to run Adelaide off their feet in the back end of the game. They've had a short turnaround after playing a tough match on the Gold Coast.

Definitely not Henry. Marking talls need to work into the game.

He'd have no inherent advantage by coming on later on like a Mannagh, Rohan, or even Mullin, who can play multiple positions and look a class above (or just up to the grade in Mullins case) with their speed when everyone else is gassed.

And although we've played him at centre bounces on occasion, Henry doesn't really have a second position, let alone a third, which is ideal in a sub.

In terms of form and requisite skills, it should be Touhy. MOC's a whipping boy, but he was solid last week, and deserves a chance to back it up.

I don’t disagree… but Henry has shown that he can play the sub role effectively in the past.

Anyway It sounds like Mannagh will be sub again even though he was last week because I got the feeling Play it Sam has some inside info there (I might be reading it incorrectly).

I actually hope Mannagh starts though for selfish reasons.

Anyway we will find out soon enough.

Fingers crossed we can get the W and Mullin flogs one of Rankin/Rachele if he starts and is sent to one of them (doubtful he flogs anyone).

If it’s not Mullin then maybe J Henry and Zuthrie will get the job.

I haven’t watched Adelaide this year so I’m not fully up to speed with their forward structure.

Bring on the game.

Same as Curnow, not sure why that still gets brought up as a negative. Both were clearly the two leading KPFs of 2023 and kicked bags against good defences as well.

Some very sad news for Tex this week though, his Father in Law passed away quite suddenly only 2 days ago, so we will be wearing black armbands tonight. Tex is still playing according to Nicks this morning.

That second paragraph makes it harder to denegrate him... didn't he get suspended while captain for a racist remark. I have other statements that could be made in poor taste if anyone is interested,

Mullin ahead of Parfitt and Knevitt. Particularly when the midfield looks lite. Parfitt's days looking numbered.

I'm hoping Mannagh is not the Sub.

Almost nobody picks the same sub two weeks running, for touch and fitness reasons.

Must be a first then, unless the plan is to get him on early. I'm not usually one to guesstimate, for a few reasons. Apart from loose ships sink ships, the sub can be changed dependent on a few factors. Like Chawks - Can only hint (like last week) and despite being invested in certain players can always have egg on my face.

It's only one element in baking the cake anyway.
Good luck to both Shaun and Oisin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The love for Mannagh is over the top. He's not used to the speed of the game so was getting caught despite being fresh and made a horrible decision to be aggressive with his disposal that let Stkilda back in the game (we were 19 points up with 5 minutes left but after his decision to go through the middle and turn it over we didn't touch the ball again until they were within 7 points).

He'll get his chance but he's not good enough right now to throw our structure out just to get him in the team. Mullin is an equivalent player and fits our structure much better to start in the 22.

We’ve probably got to accept that they will continue to try to fast track Mullin based on the raw ingredients he has and not because he’s the best option.
I personally don't have a problem with it. The 22nd player picked generally isn't going to determine the outcome anyway.

But all I ask is don't make him sub if the rationale is to fast track his development. I think he'll get better quicker by playing a full game in the VFL more than 1/4 in the AFL.

The love for Mannagh is over the top. He's not used to the speed of the game so was getting caught despite being fresh and made a horrible decision to be aggressive with his disposal that let Stkilda back in the game (we were 19 points up with 5 minutes left but after his decision to go through the middle and turn it over we didn't touch the ball again until they were within 7 points).

He'll get his chance but he's not good enough right now to throw our structure out just to get him in the team. Mullin is an equivalent player and fits our structure much better to start in the 22.

Harsh. He wasn't responsible for further defensive errors that contributed to their run on. People need to temper expectations, we had one hero in Dempsey, who was allowed to insert himself over a whole game. If you are going to cherry pick errors in a nervous debut, wait until he at least gets more time. This idea that the sub comes on and instantly stars is erroneous. In any case, he did enough for the powers that be, to persevere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back