Preview Rd 2 Adelaide V Geelong, Fri 22nd Mar 2024 7:40pm @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. So I go back into nervous mode when you set up the thread for next game.…at least got a few days of enjoyment!

I haven’t done the research but I understand we do NOT have a great record at Adelaide Oval? And adelaide coming off a terrible game (albeit hard to judge given conditions) with big Tex back and coach needing a win.

We are going to have to be on our game to be 2-0 going into Easter Monday. But a win against another team genuinely looking to be in the 8 would be a wonderful start

Oh man. This is exciting.

I don't expect to win but I am interested in seeing how we go against them. I think we can do pretty well in parts.

Their midfield is good but I don't rate it as highly as saints and we beat their mids.

We were pushing numbers forward a lot against the saints and while that might be a good move, I can't help but think blocking up the space forward for us will be self defeating given their injuries to key defenders and our potential to expose them with a bit of space on our side. I'm also worried about Rachele getting the ball in space out the back if we leave a paddock back there.

Fogarty in the dry will be better and they were smart in not sending Walker to play in a monsoon.

Up against it in this one, but I'm excited to see what kind of structure we rock up with.

If Henry isn't right Mannagh needs a full game

Got to think we're some chance in this one. If everyone's fit I'm bringing in Bowes for Mannagh and probably shifting Clark to sub. Then look at bringing Clark and Mannagh in for full games against Hawthorn.

But I'm picking our absolute best team and seeing if we can't pinch a win. 2-0 with winnable games to come would be a great start.

Good litmus test against a mid ranking team on the rise away from home. In the past we won these easily but I have my doubts with the current group.

Our defence needs to setup better, stop more forward attacks, and launch effective i50s for us. If we do that I think we win.

Can see Rankine and Rachele cutting us up if they win the midfield battle. Fortunately Hawkins, Cameron, Stengle etc could do the same to their pretty ordinary defensive group if we hold sway in that department. If we are going to make the 8 these are the games we need to win. A true 8 pt game.

What i would like to see

If they are adamant Bowes is 100%

In Bowes Out Tuohy
Sub Duncan with Mannagh getting a full gam

This is what I’d want to see.

Might be one too many forwards, but I think mannagh / Cameron /Dempsey? / close can all spend more time down the ground.

The flexibility of the players has been something that’s been built beautifully over the last few years. The only really inflexible forward is Hawkins, but he has the ruck string in his bow.

In cricket this summer when smith moved to open, it was discussed that they wanted the best 6 bats in the team and would shuffle them accordingly, rather than picking players positionally. I almost feel the same with this Geelong team; you can almost pick the best 23 players available and find room for them.

I think if stengle has another slow game he’s probably the first forward to face the chopping block which feels a bit wild.

Last edited:
What i would like to see

If they are adamant Bowes is 100%

In Bowes Out Tuohy
Sub Duncan with Mannagh getting a full game

If he isn't 100%

In Neale Out Tuohy
Sub Duncan with Mannagh getting a full game
Curious to see what they do with Bowes if he's fit.

I think Tuohy and MOC were ok on the weekend. OHenry and Stengle were quiet, but you're not dropping them. The only other one that I can see is Clark, especially if they see Bowes paying midfield. But Ideally we'd like to keep playing playing him too.

Will be an interesting call.

This is what I’d want to see.

Might be one too many forwards, but I think Bowes / mannagh / Cameron /Dempsey? / close could all spend time down the ground.

I think if stengle has another slow game he’s probably the first forward to face the chopping block which feels a bit wild.
Almost all of our forward line can and should spend a little time up field at different times.

Stengle for some xfactor for 5mins Close and Miers are both capable of running through for a few mins Mannagh at heart is a mid.

Bowes should be a mid period with some stints down back if needed.

Cameron does whatever he wants and should continue doing so.

That just leaves Henry and Hawkins as the only 2 i wouldn't put anywhere near the midfield

Curious to see what they do with Bowes if he's fit.

I think Tuohy and MOC were ok on the weekend. OHenry and Stengle were quiet, but you're not dropping them. The only other one that I can see is Clark, especially if they see Bowes paying midfield. But Ideally we'd like to keep playing playing him too.

Will be an interesting call.
Agreed Tuohy was fine and MOC was actually fairly good but i want to keep Clark in at all costs.

No player really deserves to be dropped but if Bowes is fit he has to come in as he is best 22.

Neale i just want us to have a leading jumping marking forward that can be an outlet kinda like Rohan is for us and no one we currently have forward does that except Henry sort of.

I am also of the opinion we should be using the Sub to rotate older players to keep them fresh. And only fulling resting them if we have to or they need dropping. Or if they are Hawkins as he clearly wouldn't work as a sub

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Almost all of our forward line can and should spend a little time up field at different times.

Stengle for some xfactor for 5mins Close and Miers are both capable of running through for a few mins Mannagh at heart is a mid.

Bowes should be a mid period with some stints down back if needed.

Cameron does whatever he wants and should continue doing so.

That just leaves Henry and Hawkins as the only 2 i wouldn't put anywhere near the midfield
I added some extra thought bubbles to my post and then read yours, realising that I’ve pretty much said exactly the same thing

Was Stengle subbed for tactical or fitness reasons last week? Seemed like an early sub. He might be out for Mannagh.

I'm looking forward to the 'Free hit'. I definitely have this down as a loss but it's not impossible.

Agreed Tuohy was fine and MOC was actually fairly good but i want to keep Clark in at all costs.

No player really deserves to be dropped but if Bowes is fit he has to come in as he is best 22.

Neale i just want us to have a leading jumping marking forward that can be an outlet kinda like Rohan is for us and no one we currently have forward does that except Henry sort of.

I am also of the opinion we should be using the Sub to rotate older players to keep them fresh. And only fulling resting them if we have to or they need dropping. Or if they are Hawkins as he clearly wouldn't work as a sub
Yeah fair call. The other thing they might consider is just not picking Bowes and letting him have a run in the VFL, which also wouldn't be my preferred option. Agree that rotating older players through the sub role is a good idea though.

Good problems to have.

Bowes could be the sub, given he's coming back from an injury.

I'd like to see Mannagh get a whole game, but who do you drop? Clark needs to stay in so it should be one of the older guys who are on the fringe like Tuohy or MOC.

Thought MOC was excellent last week.

Clark is the logical out for Bowes. And I would swap Tuohy and Mannagh in the sub role.

I am not convinced Bowes will return, feel like this could be a lingering injury.

Thought MOC was excellent last week.

Clark is the logical out for Bowes. And I would swap Tuohy and Mannagh in the sub role.

I am not convinced Bowes will return, feel like this could be a lingering injury.

Calves are not an injury you take risks with I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back