Game Day Rd 1 Geelong V StKilda Sat 16th Mar 2024 730pm @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
After what seems weeks of games… because it’s been weeks of games lol… we are up.

I’ll add more to this in a bit.. but it’s game day but he’s and as of now.. we are keeping score.

A few interesting selections and omissions but that’s what we will see in 24… irs good to move forward.

Go Catters

Been waiting for this for a while and as usual the AFL throws in more changes to the fixture just to make things "interesting". Not sure for who though.

This will be a good test for us and a few of the new boys. I like that players appear to have been picked on form, i.e. Mannagh. But Lyon is a canny bastard so he will have a few tricks up his sleeve.

As I noted earlier a few of the older lads have slimmed down a bit which suggests more focus on speed and longevity.

Bring it.

Been waiting for this for a while and as usual the AFL throws in more changes to the fixture just to make things "interesting". Not sure for who though.

This will be a good test for us and a few of the new boys. I like that players appear to have been picked on form, i.e. Mannagh. But Lyon is a canny bastard so he will have a few tricks up his sleeve.

As I noted earlier a few of the older lads have slimmed down a bit which suggests more focus on speed and longevity.

Bring it.
Here's hoping for a 200 point win and Rossy gets sacked.

Scott is flagging Neale in for a late change which likely means no late changes

Scott said he was “determined” to get Neale into the side and kept the door open to the possibility of a late inclusion.
“Completely line ball, to the point where he may still play. That was a tough call, we are determined to get him into the team but not at the expense of players having to earn it and play well,” Scott said.

“He has had a good preseason and he has played well enough to justify spot in the team... think I’m very confident that he’ll play well enough to just demand his spot in the team.

Instead of pot shotting veterans if they "look slow" or dare make a mistake, let's put the microscope on these prime-aged players and up-and-comers ready to break out:

-Kolo
-Atkins
-O'Connor
-Zuthrie
-Close
-J.Henry
-Stengle
-Miers
-SDK
-Holmes
-Bruhn
-O.Henry

That's essentially half the team. I don't want to hear about how many grey hairs Dangerfield has or whether Duncan needs a new Zimmer frame. Players on the above list reverting to their best form or finding a new level is what's going to drive us back into finals. Quite a few are accused of not being the types who can move the needle, but as a collective they absolutely can.

Scott said he was “determined” to get Neale into the side and kept the door open to the possibility of a late inclusion.
“Completely line ball, to the point where he may still play. That was a tough call, we are determined to get him into the team but not at the expense of players having to earn it and play well,” Scott said.

“He has had a good preseason and he has played well enough to justify spot in the team... think I’m very confident that he’ll play well enough to just demand his spot in the team.

I’ll tip a late Ollie Henry out

O Henry will have a final test which is why Neale is possible in (would leave Mannagh as sub). But I think they are pretty comfortable that Henry will pass

I am nervous. Because I think we could win this by 10 goals….which would make a loss devastating

Plus I am so invested in some of the young ones having break outs…

Tanner in his 50th being best midfielder on ground
Clark living up to his billing
Dempsey translating that potential into match winning
Henry backing up a surprisingly (for me) great 2023
Max just going wow.

I am impatient and want all that to happen tonight!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That young Oliver Dempsey sure was a brilliant pick up ...Rookie draft if I can remember rightly?
He looked like an absolute steal at time of drafting, loads of raw talent but had only played schoolboy footy. Was always going to take a couple of years to develop, hopefully it's this year he comes alive!

Smacks of “we are worried he’ll request a trade to the west if we don’t give him the impression that he’s part of our best 22”

We have 5 players 21 and under today….St Kilda who have full rebuilt after no success have 6

Collingwood had 1 last night (a pretty good one)
Swans had zero

2 years out from a premiership and still trying to squeeze another shot this year it is pretty impressive to have 5 players round 1 21 years and under.

We have 5 players 21 and under today….St Kilda who have full rebuilt after no success have 6

Swans had zero

2 years out from a premiership and still trying to squeeze another shot this year it is pretty impressive to have 5 players round 1 21 years and under.

More sub 50, sub 100, sub 150, and sub 200 gamers than Richmond. Same number of sub 100 gamers as the Hawks and more sub 150.

It's a different look for sure

I am nervous. Because I think we could win this by 10 goals….which would make a loss devastating

Plus I am so invested in some of the young ones having break outs…

Tanner in his 50th being best midfielder on ground
Clark living up to his billing
Dempsey translating that potential into match winning
Henry backing up a surprisingly (for me) great 2023
Max just going wow.

I am impatient and want all that to happen tonight!
I’m interested to see Bruhn’s game - mostly got fed the ball in the preseason game, instead of winning it, and used it well - possible role change?

Psyched to watch Dempsey, Clark and Mannagh, hopefully all big games and lock themselves in the 23.

Brilliant to be underway with a new season, in front of the new stand. So apt to be named after Joel - wonderful decision to commemorate his incredible leadership and values.

Really excited with the team - i don’t care if it is necessity or otherwise it’s great to put faith in the younger cohort. Big hopes for Mannagh - he’s got the attributes to be something special, although naturally he’s going to need games to adjust to the level, but hopefully will show something tonight (The club has been great with this over the years - not caring if newbies get big numbers initially but just looking at the potential in a play or two, some second efforts).

Going to be a very tough season IMO - results are showing how Suns, Giants have improved and Magpies, Demons etc are going to shake off their starts. Saints are going to be a challenge- talented/big bodied mids, strong ruck and have heavily invested in speed. Danger,Bruhn, Blitz going to have to work hard to cover for Cuthrie. We’ve got lots of firepower up forward and a good defence - going to come down to winning enough contests and effective transition.

Although we are a little’cursed’ on marquee games, I think we’ll bring home the bacon - 7 points.

Go Cats.

Last edited:

Swans had zero

Well at least if we lose we can say "We'll be better next year" off the back of development.

...That's what everyone else does, right? This is BigFooty, it's better to be young and terrible than old and good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back