Preview Rd 2 Adelaide V Geelong, Fri 22nd Mar 2024 7:40pm @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I’m fine with no Parf/Bews.

Parf is absolutely cooked imo.

Bews could play a role if we want to play a small back but they’ve gone Mullin ahead of him and hopefully Mullin goes well.

I think my post was more just highlights that if anyone thinks Parf/Bews are in our plans… We’ll that just aren’t, and I’m good with that.

Signs were there in tbe pre season in terms of who was rated there.
Parf and bews are higgins and dahlhaus 2022 revisited (for the vfl squad)
Clark is massively rated but will be managed at times.
Mullin is still fringe but is probably the next small defender in. We cover the small fwds with what we have now.
The next few weeks are big opportunities for dempsey and mannagh. Very big.

Don’t see Mullin as a sub, think they’ll roll the dice with him off half back. Tuohy for mine if the 23 stays as is.

Midfield depth doesn’t bother me - PFD, Blitz, Atkins, Clark, Holmes, Mannagh, Duncan will be fine.

My concern is the similar number who are a bit off - SDK, 2xHenrys, Hawk, Stengle, Close, Stanley & Co.

Hopefully it clicks and our transition game gets back to what it was otherwise could be a long night/season.

Does anyone know wtf Mick McGuane was smoking before he wrote his preview of this game in the Herald Sun? Here's an extract from his piece talking about one of the key battles tomorrow night:

Reilly O’Brien v Rhys Stanley

This is an opportunity for Geelong and therefore a challenge that O’Brien needs to step up to. Stanley likes to challenge his opposition ruckman athletically by aggressively pushing forward and trying to hit the scoreboard. O’Brien must work overtime and go with Stanley to ensure he’s not taking easy marks inside-50 and generating scoring opportunities.

For context, Rhys Stanley has kicked 3 goals in his last 34 games. Including precisely zero goals in Round 1 of this year and zero goals throughout the whole of 2023. :drunk:

Does anyone know wtf Mick McGuane was smoking before he wrote his preview of this game in the Herald Sun? Here's an extract from his piece talking about one of the key battles tomorrow night:

For context, Rhys Stanley has kicked 3 goals in his last 34 games. Including precisely zero goals in Round 1 of this year and zero goals throughout the whole of 2023. :drunk:

A blank page and a deadline

He kicked 5 against the Bulldogs in 2016 🤷🏽‍♂️

I sort of have the same view. I haven’t seen anything at that level yet. But then remind myself that this time last week a lot of people had same view of Dempsey.

So I am going to have to trust the club that they think he is ready for his break out game? I do know that he had great training match sims but like you I didn’t see it translate to the practice games. Maybe it will at some stage.

The one I would have preferred frankly was Knevitt as an option to go through the middle as needed.

But I am sure the club has a plan. I hope it is a good one!

He’s coming from a lot further back than Dempsey. But he’s got some traits, so he might develop into a good player.

My only issue is if he’s sub, which seems possible. I’d rather he play a whole game in the VFL than a quarter in the AFL at this stage for his development.

I think Holmes will move into full time mid, with Mullin to replace Holmes in defence. Same structure as last week. The 3 mids will be a rotation of Danger, Atkins, Holmes, Blitz and Clark.
Wings will be a rotation of O’Connor, Tuohy and Blitz. And the 7 forwards and 7 defenders do their thing. You might occasionally see a Miers, Demspsey or Duncan on the wing, but that’s a short term rotation thing I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mullin does do some things that are elite. In particular his clean hands below his knees and his composure under pressure in defence stood out as miles above the level every time I watched him in the VFL.
Great observation which I totally support.
He’s coming along nicely with the basics - just wait till he backs himself more , holds onto it a bit longer and then uses it to a better and not the closest option.
He could be quite special , particularly with his elite athletic attributes 👍

I dont see Mannagh playing mid, if they thought that was an option surely he does it fresh in either pre season game or Round 1, expect he plays forward and we roll with Danger,Blitz,Atkins,Holmes and Clark.

Long break until we play the Dawks, I can understand the conservative approach.

You'd think both Bruhn & Bowes will play by then, so while we look thin through the midfield this week, you can understand playing the long game here.

Mannagh can probably replicate Bruhn's performance for a week, he's got some tricks does Shaun, and he's looked well at home at AFL level everytime he's gotten a shot.

Mullin will end up the sub, and probably comes on with a quarter to go to just run blokes ragged and provide and option.
possibility, albeit scary, Mullin on to mark Rankine

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

Don't quite get the love by Scott for Mullin? He's doing great for a kid that hadn't touched a footy 2 years ago but he's not AFL standard from where I'm sitting. I'd have almost tried Wiltshire or Hardie (being a Sth Australian) in front of him.

IF he is fit ... and good enough then ..this is exactly what I thought. If not good enough then he is another wasted spot best given to a kid that missed the draft.

Mullin is leg speed and good size body ..but I dont see much else atm.

Don't quite get the love by Scott for Mullin? He's doing great for a kid that hadn't touched a footy 2 years ago but he's not AFL standard from where I'm sitting. I'd have almost tried Wiltshire or Hardie (being a Sth Australian) in front of him.
I don’t either. He seems to be getting gifted games. He’s no where near AFL standard at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back