Preview Rd 1 Geelong V StKilda Sat 16th Mar 2024 730pm @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
2023 is in the books.
The Draft and Trading period is thankfully over.
The Xmas pressies all done and returned for store credit.
The holiday pics have been sent to Intagram and shared to those who care.
The houses have been trained down.
The graass has been cut and the snakes beaten out of it.
The preseason slap and tickle 8 x 1/4 games are done and the piss weak coverage of them complained about.
K rock Football have done a few podcasts and some game calling...

and now its time for the real s**t.

Trying to jam 30 in 23.

Who knows how it will end but you can bet your arses there will be a soliid 25 pages of debate as to how gets the nod and whom gets the arse.

But one thing we can all agree on....

Footy is back in 24.

GO Catters

Bookies have us $1.50 favourites to Saints $2.50 indicates the people putting their assets on the block favour is.

Squiggle outcomes are in a tight margin with most pointing to us winning

Joel Selwoods stand debuts, giving this game a sense of honouring the great man.

This is definitely the kind of game we could lose.

I don't think we will.

Cats 18 points

The expected round 1 Saints team per AFL "Staff writer"

B: Callum Wilkie, Josh Battle, Zaine Cordy
HB: Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera, Liam Stocker, Brad Hill
C: Liam Henry, Seb Ross, Mason Wood
HF: Mitchito Owens, Tim Membrey, Cooper Sharman
F: Jack Higgins, Max King, Mattaes Phillipou
Foll: Rowan Marshall, Jack Steele, Brad Crouch
I/C: Darcy Wilson, Riley Bonner, Ryan Byrnes, Hugo Garcia, Arie Schoenmaker
EMERG: Tom Campbell, Zak Jones, Anthony Caminiti

NEW: Liam Henry, Darcy Wilson, Riley Bonner, Hugo Garcia, Arie Schoenmaker

Backline looks thin. Midfield looks OK with no real stars, nor significant weak points, maybe a bit thin. I like our mids against that line up. That forward line has a bit to work with so expect them to score when they get it in there.

We should win looking at their line up.

Looking at ours, my biggest question is who is Bewes?

B: Mark O'Connor, Sam De Koning, Zach Guthrie
HB: Tom Stewart, Jack Henry, Max Holmes
C: Mark Blicavs, Patrick Dangerfield, Zac Tuohy
HF: Gryan Miers, Jeremy Cameron, Brad Close
F: Tyson Stengle, Tom Hawkins, Ollie Henry
Foll: Rhys Stanley, Mitch Duncan, Tom Atkins
I/C: Tanner Bruhn, Jed Bewes, Jake Kolodjashnij, Jack Bowes, Jhye Clark
EMERG: Shannon Neale, Connor O'Sullivan, Shaun Mannagh

Backline looks thin. Midfield looks OK with no real stars, nor significant weak points, maybe a bit thin. I like our mids against that line up. That forward line has a bit to work with so expect them to score when they get it in there.

Cat To The Future: Not sure if it's an oversight but since you do not have him not in even as a emergency, then I dare say it is a oversight but regardless there is no way that Ollie Dempsey will not be in the side.... GO CATS

Cat To The Future: Not sure if it's an oversight but since you do not have him not in even as a emergency, then I dare say it is a oversight but regardless there is no way that Ollie Dempsey will not be in the side.... GO CATS
I agree it's an oversight, just not mine

Point the finger at the AFL staff writers

I thought Battle, Higgins and Steele were doubtful for Round 1

I thought Battle, Higgins and Steele were doubtful for Round 1
Possibly. Refer to AFL staff writer Sophie Welsh

UNAVAILABLE: Jimmy Webster, Dougal Howard (hamstring), Marcus Windhager (hand), Jack Sinclair (calf), Hunter Clark (calf), Paddy Dow (knee), Dan Butler (ankle), Ben Paton (pectoral), Jack Hayes (knee), James Van Es (ankle)

NOTES: A hamstring injury for Howard in Sunday's practice match could pave the way for a surprise round one debut for draftee Schoenmaker, although Cordy is the man most likely to take the key defensive spot. Webster is likely facing a lengthy suspension, with Stocker the logical backline replacement for him. Garcia is also in the frame for a round one debut after impressing during the pre-season matches and could play forward in the absence of Butler. With dual All-Australian Sinclair no guarantee for round one, the Saints look likely turn to impressive draftee Wilson to inject some line-breaking speed, while Windhager's broken hand could pave the way for Bonner to debut for the club. With the Saints recruiting for speed during the off-season, it will be interesting to see which of Wilson, Hill, Henry and Wood end up playing on the wing or across half-back. - Sophie Welsh

Seems it was Josh Gabelich that forgot Dempsey existed. Didn't even write about him in the comments.

NOTES: Duncan has moved to half-back over the pre-season and looked impressive, while he could rotate on the ball as well. Blicavs will play multiple roles like he has done for a long time. Bruhn, Holmes and Clark all look ready to take the next step. O'Sullivan has turned heads over the pre-season and won't be far off selection, neither will mature-age recruit Mannagh. Henry is back to full fitness and set to play in defence, while Neale has made progress over the pre-season and could play early. – Josh Gabelich

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Possibly. Refer to AFL staff writer Sophie Welsh

UNAVAILABLE: Jimmy Webster, Dougal Howard (hamstring), Marcus Windhager (hand), Jack Sinclair (calf), Hunter Clark (calf), Paddy Dow (knee), Dan Butler (ankle), Ben Paton (pectoral), Jack Hayes (knee), James Van Es (ankle)

NOTES: A hamstring injury for Howard in Sunday's practice match could pave the way for a surprise round one debut for draftee Schoenmaker, although Cordy is the man most likely to take the key defensive spot. Webster is likely facing a lengthy suspension, with Stocker the logical backline replacement for him. Garcia is also in the frame for a round one debut after impressing during the pre-season matches and could play forward in the absence of Butler. With dual All-Australian Sinclair no guarantee for round one, the Saints look likely turn to impressive draftee Wilson to inject some line-breaking speed, while Windhager's broken hand could pave the way for Bonner to debut for the club. With the Saints recruiting for speed during the off-season, it will be interesting to see which of Wilson, Hill, Henry and Wood end up playing on the wing or across half-back. - Sophie Welsh

Seems it was Josh Gabelich that forgot Dempsey existed. Didn't even write about him in the comments.

NOTES: Duncan has moved to half-back over the pre-season and looked impressive, while he could rotate on the ball as well. Blicavs will play multiple roles like he has done for a long time. Bruhn, Holmes and Clark all look ready to take the next step. O'Sullivan has turned heads over the pre-season and won't be far off selection, neither will mature-age recruit Mannagh. Henry is back to full fitness and set to play in defence, while Neale has made progress over the pre-season and could play early. – Josh Gabelich
Gabelich is now too important to watch any pre season games. Would be the only “expert” so far sho hasn’t put Dempsey into round 1. Maybe he has inside information but on the face of it, he has to play round 1 given he would have been in the best handful of players on Friday night?

If the Saints have Battle, Wilke and Cordy as there defenders I would play a tall
Forward line.
Hawkins, Cameron, OHenry and most certainly Neale
I think all the chatter about how good the Saints are going to be (I am yet to be convinced and hope I am still not after round 1!) is that they have great speed - in particular off half back. If that is the case I don’t know that we will go tall?

Dempsey had the most contested marks on the ground Friday night with all of them being hit ups from out of defence. Having “big Ollie” back in adds to that as well - which I think is critical…to combine marking power with speed?

You might be right but my bet is that Dempsey gets the nod over Neale - I think!

I agree it's an oversight, just not mine

Point the finger at the AFL staff writers
Apologies CatToTheFuture, I obviously didn't read post correctly, so AFL staff writers and my dumb-ass self have both erred, oh well as long as our man Ollie Dempsey plays and keeps up his outstanding current form then all will be well. But I've gotta say I've been keen on Ollie even prior to us drafting him in secondary draft as I was really taken by his limited highlights reel. He was only playing school grade but you could see with the right development the kid could be a real player which I'm absolutely sure he will be. GO CATS

Gabelich is now too important to watch any pre season games. Would be the only “expert” so far sho hasn’t put Dempsey into round 1. Maybe he has inside information but on the face of it, he has to play round 1 given he would have been in the best handful of players on Friday night?
Always bet on lazy journalism

Apologies CatToTheFuture, I obviously didn't read post correctly, so AFL staff writers and my dumb-ass self have both erred, oh well as long as our man Ollie Dempsey plays and keeps up his outstanding current form then all will be well. But I've gotta say I've been keen on Ollie even prior to us drafting him in secondary draft as I was really taken by his limited highlights reel. He was only playing school grade but you could see with the right development the kid could be a real player which I'm absolutely sure he will be. GO CATS
All good, I am also very keen to see Dempsey.

Cannot wait for BT to bring up his basketball background every match

I think all the chatter about how good the Saints are going to be (I am yet to be convinced and hope I am still not after round 1!) is that they have great speed - in particular off half back. If that is the case I don’t know that we will go tall?

Dempsey had the most contested marks on the ground Friday night with all of them being hit ups from out of defence. Having “big Ollie” back in adds to that as well - which I think is critical…to combine marking power with speed?

You might be right but my bet is that Dempsey gets the nod over Neale - I think!
I especially think that if they're great for rebound then someone impacting with pressure at ground level to lock in will be a handy addition

I think both play tbh

Aside from King, do the Saints really play another tall forward? Membrey is their next tall? Seems like a game we could go into with just SDK and Henry. Play an extra runner. Have Blicavs as insurance anyway.
Sharman or Caminiti will be in there, as will Owens & Philipou.

They don't have a genuine second key forward, but they do have 4 or 5 guys in that 6'2+ category that you probably have to play a Kolo or Henry on, while SDK takes King.

I'd say we're bringing in all of SDK, Henry, & Kolo. There will be a chance to play just the two (Norf for instance who just have Larkey) but I don't believe it's this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back