Preview Rd 2 Geelong v Carlton Thursday March23 2023, MCG @ 720 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hewitt out for them somewhat compensates for Stewart’s loss. We really should take control in the middle now. Dangerfield, C.Guthrie, Bowes, Holmes, Blicavs, Atkins and Bruhn should be too strong for their lot. I’d be still playing Blicavs in a negating role on Cripps initially. Move him back if required. Or at least have him utilise his elite endurance to aid the defenders whilst still performing a primarily negating role on Cripps.

We didn't lose the game last week down back - we lost it in the midfield so I'm guessing we're looking for more run??

We absolutely lost last weeks game due to defence.

Out
Kolo
Henry
Duncan - who plays half back on Occassion.

Stewart goes down
SDK gets injured and then has zero impact.

No one can cover that.

And we have Esava who’s on L plates.

The midfield had to replace run back to cover.
You can’t expect them to also keep running forward. They were stuffed.

And Blicavs was displaced because of the back line.

It was dominoes. I was surprised we were up at 3/4 time. And then the dam wall broke.

This team doesn’t make sense.

Last week Scott said we probably went in light on defenders. And then we lost Stewart.

So they go and replace Stewart with a mid.
We are in trouble.
One defender on the bench is the structure we've gone with for the past 114 games.

Bowes can switch to half back ala Duncan and then Whyte will come on.

I reckon he's debuted someone else as sub before. Maybe last year.

Knevitt against GWS wasn't it?

I also feel like the comments from Scott last year were more specific to do with the Medical Sub and supposed requirements around the activation of the sub

With the sub this year being a general sub that can come on at any stage, I think we'll see a different thought process behind the selection of the sub player & use of it

This team doesn’t make sense.

Last week Scott said we probably went in light on defenders. And then we lost Stewart.

So they go and replace Stewart with a mid.
We are in trouble.

You mean like how Whyte was playing behind the ball in the practice match against Brisbane and may well play a similar role this week...

Hewitt out for them somewhat compensates for Stewart’s loss. We really should take control in the middle now. Dangerfield, C.Guthrie, Bowes, Holmes, Blicavs, Atkins and Bruhn should be too strong for their lot. I’d be still playing Blicavs in a negating role on Cripps initially. Move him back if required. Or at least have him utilise his elite endurance to aid the defenders whilst still performing a primarily negating role on Cripps.
Blicavs on Cripps makes sense. Like you said, not for the whole match but that should be half his job.

Hewett and Walsh are big outs - they can just about cope without one, but both is a stretch. Our midfield should be able to edge Cripps, Cerra and Kennedy.

People underestimate just how good Collingwood's midfield can be when they're on. Old man Pendles has his best games against Geelong and De Goey makes his rare switches to elite as well. Throw in Mitchell, Crisp and Adams, with the Daicos brothers linking up - it's a strong group.

Carlton's full strength midfield has weapons but they were beaten by Richmond's without Walsh. So it's a good opportunity for the most disappointing member's of last week's loss to bounce back.

GEELONG has made two changes to its team to play Carlton in a Round 2 blockbuster at the MCG on Thursday night.

Jack Bowes will play his first game in Cats colours after playing 83 games for the Gold Coast Suns across six seasons.

Cooper Whyte is the other addition and is set to make this AFL debut. The 20-year-old is a left-footed midfielder who is tough in the contest with a touch of flair. He was taken with the 64th selection in the 2021 NAB AFL Draft.

They replace Tom Stewart (injured) and Brandan Parfitt (substitute).

"It's really exciting for us this week, we'll have a couple of players play their first game for the Cats," Senior Coach Chris Scott told media on Wednesday morning.

"Cooper Whyte will come in as a young player making his AFL debut and Jack Bowes will play as well. So they're the ins, and (Tom) Stewart is the out.”

Whyte is set to be officially named the substitute an hour before the match.

First bounce is at 7.20pm AEDT, with the match to be televised on Channel 7 and Fox Footy.

AFL Round 2 Team​

In: Jack Bowes, Cooper Whyte
Out: Tom Stewart (Injured), Brandan Parfitt (Substitute)

AFL debuts: Cooper Whyte
Club debuts: Jack Bowes
Milestones: Isaac Smith’s 50th club game

BacksMark O'ConnorSam De KoningZach Tuohy
Half BacksIsaac SmithEsava RatugoleaZach Guthrie
CentrelineTanner BruhnJack BowesMax Holmes
Half ForwardsTyson StengleJeremy CameronBrad Close
ForwardsOllie HenryTom HawkinsGary Rohan
FollowersRhys StanleyCameron GuthriePatrick Dangerfield (C)
InterchangeJed BewsMark BlicavsTom Atkins
Gryan Miers
EmergenciesCooper WhyteSam SimpsonJonathon Ceglar
Brandan Parfitt
How is whyte in and parfitt out when they are both listed as emergencies?

How is whyte in and parfitt out when they are both listed as emergencies?
Use your brain seeds. Clearly the article indicating he's debuting means he will 1 hour before the bounce be named as our sub.

We absolutely lost last weeks game due to defence.

Out
Kolo
Henry
Duncan - who plays half back on Occassion.

Stewart goes down
SDK gets injured and then has zero impact.

No one can cover that.

And we have Esava who’s on L plates.

The midfield had to replace run back to cover.
You can’t expect them to also keep running forward. They were stuffed.

And Blicavs was displaced because of the back line.

It was dominoes. I was surprised we were up at 3/4 time. And then the dam wall broke.
We had 16 less inside 50s. They had higher quality and quantity of clearances driving that.

We still matched them for marks inside 50, so our ratio from entries was actually higher.

They absolutely smashed us on the outside with uncontested possessions and marks. And it was all midfielders or back flankers racking those up for them.

Our midfielders had a lot less of the ball and were less efficient with it. That's where the game was lost.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Use your brain seeds. Clearly the article indicating he's debuting means he will 1 hour before the bounce be named as our sub.
But he still shouldnt be listed as an in tonight though if he will be sub as subs arent declared until 2 hours before the game arent they? And if subs are declared on the night before now they should be listed as such on the team sheet. yet that doesnt appear to be the case.

But he still shouldnt be listed as an in tonight though if he will be sub as subs arent declared until 2 hours before the game arent they? And if subs are declared on the night before now they should be listed as such on the team sheet. yet that doesnt appear to be the case.
Who cares? If you debut as sub you have to miss out on any kind of announcement/hype due to a technicality?

Finger on the pulse of the big issues here. When to name someone as in.
What irrelevant nonsense. He's debuting one way or another.

Subs are pulled in from the emergency list. The list Whyte is currently on

As per the Club's team announcement:

"Cooper Whyte will come in as a young player making his AFL debut and Jack Bowes will play as well. So they're the ins, and (Tom) Stewart is the out.”

Whyte is set to be officially named the substitute an hour before the match.

----

As the Club has confirmed he's playing tomorrow night, why shouldn't they then list him as an in as per the team release tonight?

If there's a change during the day, then maybe it presents the opportunity for him to come into the starting 22. But regardless he'll be in the 23 tomorrow night that run out onto the MCG, and announcing that tonight gives the chance for a bit of excitement around the kid compared with it getting lost in other news at 6:20pm tomorrow night when the final teams are announced

And good to see Parfitt dropped after that dross. Should have been on the trade table last October.
I agree totally with that - you cant bag Geelong because the results they have produced over a long period of time are excellent

However if the Cats were a ruthless club- which they aernt - then they would have traded him out- and a pick say between 25-35 would have been a very good trade deal for Geelong

Got nothing against Parfitt as a person - however i would have much preferred Menengola to have that Premiership medallion ( coming on as the sub in last years GF ) because i think he has been a far better footballer for Geelong

And good to see Parfitt dropped after that dross. Should have been on the trade table last October.

To be fair he might not have wanted to go and ita not our style to push players out. But i reckon he might want a trade this october.

On the team good selections. I hope de koning plays i wonder what our plan b is if he isnt playing.

Two rounds in and no Thursday night melts. This year sucks.

No it doesn’t

So far, Wednesday & Thursday night team announcements have been easy which is nice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back