Preview Geelong v Richmond Fri May 12th 2023 720 pm @ MCG

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will Richmond try to confuse things by naming Clarke as their sub?

Cause if that happens, when Clark & Clarke both get subbed on, we'll likely have folks here talking about one but it could get confusing if they get spelling wrong & we think they're talking about the other...

I'm guessing BT will call our Clark Judson anyway.

I took notice of the fact he referenced 2021, and said we beat them a couple of times, quote, 'that year'.......so I read it as him talking 2021 in isolation.
Understandable
When cats_09 said it was a old quote I went and found it and as I was reading it I also thought it was from 2021 but it was just a line he said from then we have found a way to beat them

I reckon most of our worst sides on paper from the last decade would be from 2015, when some of our premiership stars were tapering off (Stokes, SJ, Kelly), the youth we were blooding at the time were almost all mediocre, and Dangerfield hadn't yet arrived at the club. Selwood was basically a lone soldier in midfield that year.

In Round 7 2015, Hawkins didn't play, so we faced Sydney with this line-up:

B: Thurlow Lonergan Bews
HB: Enright Rivers Taylor
C: Duncan Selwood Murdoch
HF: Motlop Walker Caddy
F: Gregson Clark Kersten
FOLL: Stanley Johnson Guthrie
I/C: Blease Blicavs Lang Stokes

Blease, Lang, Gregson, Kersten, Walker, Murdoch and Thurlow all in the same side. 😐
Gregson was great in first year, but sadly he never came back to anywhere near his best form after his injury.

Anyway, I'm going to enjoy tomorrow night, win or lose. It will be great to see our youngsters playing. The positive of injuries is that young guys get an opportunity to play seniors who otherwise wouldn't.

I reckon most of our worst sides on paper from the last decade would be from 2015, when some of our premiership stars were tapering off (Stokes, SJ, Kelly), the youth we were blooding at the time were almost all mediocre, and Dangerfield hadn't yet arrived at the club. Selwood was basically a lone soldier in midfield that year.

Blease, Lang, Gregson, Kersten, Walker, Murdoch and Thurlow all in the same side. 😐
I was trying to think of other games over the years when we had so many young players.

We had the draw with GWS in 2017 when we debuted Simpson, Buzza and Zuthrie in the same game (bulletproof and I were there). GWS was on top of the ladder at the time.

There’s one I can’t pinpoint that was against Brisbane at the Gabba. It must have been in or just after our strong years (maybe 2012 or so) because we were warm favourites despite missing many good players and Brisbane cleaned us up.

Last edited:
Thats my big concern - and you can add Parfitt to that list - that Geel will get obliterated in the midfield

And 3 weeks ago thats exactly what Rich did to Melbs midfield to h/time - Petracca and Oliver and Viney were really struggling to just keep up with Richmonds speed . Tigers went in 2-3 goals up at h/t - they could have been 5 goals in front

If they replicate that Frid night - i dont know how Geel is going to handle that

I reckon Rich set themselves for that Melb game - from memory i think it was a Thurs night game - and you would think they would have the same attitude tommorow night

Remember many years back in the 2007-11 period Geel rested all those players in a game against a then lowly/battling Bris team - and the Cats duly got beaten

It will be a really good win - if Geel win Frid night

The midfield is the worry yes but i say this if we break even in the midfield we win by 5 goals + (even with all our outs) bc our forward line is way better than theirs.

Big game for parfitt (career defining) bruhn (gets the opportunity) blitz and holmes..need those 4 to brain it.

Richmonds midfield of no decent ruck + taranto hopper and baker/short isnt exactly scary though..its only bolton that really worries me in their midfield.

Whyte is lucky he is not emg for the VFL
I seem to recall reading a month ago how hopeless Knevitt was in the VFL and how he was never going to make it. Now look at him. Still a long way to go, but there are promising signs.

Have a bit of compassion. Whyte didn't even get a proper chance in the AFL and then he's way back in the queue. It's understandable if he's lost some confidence.

There’s one I can’t pinpoint that was against Brisbane at the Gabba. It must have been in or just after our strong years (maybe 2012 or so) because we were warm favourites despite missing many good players and Brisbane cleaned us up.

Was that the one in 2009 after we'd lost to the Saints in that classic at Docklands and we rested a few?

EDIT: Just looked at that game, and we debuted Gillies and Laidler in that game, and Djerrkura was playing his 3rd game. Didn't have Ablett, Johnson, Scarlett and Ottens playing either.

This match reminds me of a couple of others in recent times:

I was trying to think of other games over the years when we had so many young players.

We had the draw with GWS in 2017 when we debuted Simpson, Buzza and Zuthrie in the same game (bulletproof and I were there). GWS was on top of the ladder at the time.

Was that Brisbane game in 2009?

I know with that match we had lost our first match of the season the week before against St Kilda, we then headed North to play Brisbane and had something like 7 changes from the week before and we just didn't play well

And that's when questions started to be asked about the team and if we could find the hunger to get back to our best and try winning that second premiership

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was that Brisbane game in 2009?

I know with that match we had lost our first match of the season the week before against St Kilda, we then headed North to play Brisbane and had something like 7 changes from the week before and we just didn't play well

And that's when questions started to be asked about the team and if we could find the hunger to get back to our best and try winning that second premiership

Great minds think alike!

A point well made but that was very much a transitional year where we struggled. I think it's more fun to look at some of the finals sides when we were very much a top 4 team still. 2014 SF vs North Melbourne:

B: Enright Lonergan Rivers
HB: Mackie Taylor Guthrie
C: Kelly Selwood Stokes
HF: Motlop Brown Murdoch
F: Thurlow Hawkins Bartel
FOLL: Blicavs Caddy Duncan
I/C: Varcoe GHS Walker

Some of the names were fine but a few over the hill, another completely dysfunctional forward line and the midfield was in a weird state. No emerging players (although Guthrie started well there) or dynamism in the backline - just the old heads keepin' on.

Sorry but I'm still taking the team we are fielding tomorrow over the above one.

Mackie must've been a late withdrawal that game, as Laidler was playing according to afltables.com and Mackie wasn't.

I posted the following within seconds of CE posting the team, and subsequently deleted it thinking I must have had the wrong game, but I guess not (and I've now undeleted my post)

"Did Mackie also miss - I'm pretty sure we had one of two late outs to go with the already known changes"

March this year

“Richmond have been the team of the era really… we were a really good team but we just couldn’t beat them for a period of time,” Scott told Fox Footy’s On The Couch.

“Then it got to 2021 and we found a way to beat Richmond. There’s a way you can’t play them in our view, we found a way and then we beat them a couple of times that year and ticked that box.”
He doesn’t mean it like “we have found a way to beat Richmond permanently”.

There’s nothing really wrong with what he said. In my view he’s referring to that time - 2021.
Not that we will beat Richmond for eternity although I would love that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back