Preview Geelong v Richmond Fri May 12th 2023 720 pm @ MCG

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have slightly more experience in terms of 150+ games, but then we also have half our team, plus Clark as sub, with less than 100 games experience

We can then break that down further - 3 guys with between 90 -> 99 games, Atkins (that's come quick), Miers (also feels quick) & O'Connor. Then it drops away to Ratugolea with 67 games - meaning 8 guys with less than 70 games each

1683794715370.png

We have slightly more experience in terms of 150+ games, but then we also have half our team, plus Clark as sub, with less than 100 games experience

We can then break that down further - 3 guys with between 90 -> 99 games, Atkins (that's come quick), Miers (also feels quick) & O'Connor. Then it drops away to Ratugolea with 67 games - meaning 8 guys with less than 70 games each

View attachment 1684471

Interesting - according to that, Prestia's lining up on Stewart. 🤣

When did he say that?

About 10 years ago, or something

Seems it's not a new quote, so no idea why it's been raised a few times during this thread
March this year

“Richmond have been the team of the era really… we were a really good team but we just couldn’t beat them for a period of time,” Scott told Fox Footy’s On The Couch.

“Then it got to 2021 and we found a way to beat Richmond. There’s a way you can’t play them in our view, we found a way and then we beat them a couple of times that year and ticked that box.”

Thats a very experienced line up Rich have got - a hell of alot of 100 plus game players their

Well done to Clark of Geelong - just 18 years of age - to make his debut inthe AFL - a really good effort

Geelong obviously because of injuries and suspensions - but i reckon on paper that is the weakest side Geel have fielded in about 10 years
We did have to field a very old Taylor at full back against Lynch and Henderson at full forward in that forward line for a knockout final against a great Richmond side.

2019 PF

FB: Henry Taylor Bews
HB: Kolo Stewart Tuohy
C: Blicavs Selwood Menegola
HF: Atkins Ratugolea Dahlaus
FF: Miers Henderson Ablett
Fol: Stanley Kelly Dangerfield
IC: CGuthrie MOC Parfitt Narkle

Even minus Rohan, Stengle and Close our forward line is on another planet to that one.

We did have to field a very old Taylor at full back against Lynch and Henderson at full forward in that forward line for a knockout final against a great Richmond side.

2019 PF

FB: Henry Taylor Bews
HB: Kolo Stewart Tuohy
C: Blicavs Selwood Menegola
HF: Atkins Ratugolea Dahlaus
FF: Miers Henderson Ablett
Fol: Stanley Kelly Dangerfield
IC: CGuthrie MOC Parfitt Narkle

Even minus Rohan, Stengle and Close our forward line is on another planet to that one.
Not to bag some of those players because i loved Taylor/Henderson/Ablett and Selwood but God that side is horrible compared to our best these days.

Across the 44 players picked by the two teams we've got the youngest 5. And we know we'll have an 18 year old as sub. As much as the tigers are struggling we'll need to play very well to win.

They are but their rucks are out just like ours are and they dont have a good matchup for jezza-we can exploit it if we play well

Really surprised the Tigers haven't come into at least $2:50 and Geelong out a fair bit more
Neutrals look at a team who have won 5 on the bounce (often pretty comfortably) and have by my count 15 players in really good form, and say "they can cover a couple more players out". Rightly or wrongly. The majority probably aren't overly impressed by Richmond taking 3 quarters to start pulling away from West Coast's WAFL team at home, will look at 2 wins from 8 with only a handful of players in strong form and say "how can I back that team?".

Not saying I agree with all of the above, it has a competitive match written all over it, but I can see the logic. In form teams are always backed in no matter the injuries.

The best team we could name given the injuries. Ceglar off for clark at 3/4 time.

I think we will probably put oconnor in the mids given our outs (would have been good to have bowes this week) him and bruhn holmes and atkins really need to stand up as does blitz. If blitz has a huge one we can win this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not to bag some of those players because i loved Taylor/Henderson/Ablett and Selwood but God that side is horrible compared to our best these days.
Ablett was fantastic those last two years for a 35ish year old but outside of a few moments, finals pace/intensity was just a bit much. Likewise with the older defenders. If the opposition midfield got swarming over us we just didn't have the speed and reflexes to counter punch. Blicavs and Kolo have added facets to their game since then, our forward line is mega, wings are a strength and our transition from defence to attack miles better. It was still a good side but you could argue we overachieved some years.

March this year

“Richmond have been the team of the era really… we were a really good team but we just couldn’t beat them for a period of time,” Scott told Fox Footy’s On The Couch.

“Then it got to 2021 and we found a way to beat Richmond. There’s a way you can’t play them in our view, we found a way and then we beat them a couple of times that year and ticked that box.”
Let’s see then! Against bottom 4 Richmond it should be done at half time…..

I thought it was Neale who had the ankle operation, and that Conway was dealing with foot hotspot or similar

Thansk c09... I think Tobys name was the next one asked ..and he went into a detailed explanation of why they are being tortoise like with him. So it was Neale.. his ankle must have been ordinary.

Geelong obviously because of injuries and suspensions - but i reckon on paper that is the weakest side Geel have fielded in about 10 years

I reckon most of our worst sides on paper from the last decade would be from 2015, when some of our premiership stars were tapering off (Stokes, SJ, Kelly), the youth we were blooding at the time were almost all mediocre, and Dangerfield hadn't yet arrived at the club. Selwood was basically a lone soldier in midfield that year.

In Round 7 2015, Hawkins didn't play, so we faced Sydney with this line-up:

B: Thurlow Lonergan Bews
HB: Enright Rivers Taylor
C: Duncan Selwood Murdoch
HF: Motlop Walker Caddy
F: Gregson Clark Kersten
FOLL: Stanley Johnson Guthrie
I/C: Blease Blicavs Lang Stokes

Blease, Lang, Gregson, Kersten, Walker, Murdoch and Thurlow all in the same side. 😐

The best team we could name given the injuries. Ceglar off for clark at 3/4 time.

I think we will probably put oconnor in the mids given our outs (would have been good to have bowes this week) him and bruhn holmes and atkins really need to stand up as does blitz. If blitz has a huge one we can win this.
Thats my big concern - and you can add Parfitt to that list - that Geel will get obliterated in the midfield

And 3 weeks ago thats exactly what Rich did to Melbs midfield to h/time - Petracca and Oliver and Viney were really struggling to just keep up with Richmonds speed . Tigers went in 2-3 goals up at h/t - they could have been 5 goals in front

If they replicate that Frid night - i dont know how Geel is going to handle that

I reckon Rich set themselves for that Melb game - from memory i think it was a Thurs night game - and you would think they would have the same attitude tommorow night

Remember many years back in the 2007-11 period Geel rested all those players in a game against a then lowly/battling Bris team - and the Cats duly got beaten

It will be a really good win - if Geel win Frid night

Interesting - including the emergencies, we've named 8 players under the age of 21. (Bruhn, O.Henry, Holmes, Dempsey, Knevitt, Whyte, Willis and Clark).

Richmond only have two - Sonsie and Clarke who have both been named as emergencies.

Interesting - including the emergencies, we've named 8 players under the age of 21. (Bruhn, O.Henry, Holmes, Dempsey, Knevitt, Whyte, Willis and Clark).

Richmond only have two - Sonsie and Clarke who have both been named as emergencies.

But we've got no youth?!!

Will Richmond try to confuse things by naming Clarke as their sub?

Cause if that happens, when Clark & Clarke both get subbed on, we'll likely have folks here talking about one but it could get confusing if they get spelling wrong & we think they're talking about the other...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back