Preview Geelong v Richmond Fri May 12th 2023 720 pm @ MCG

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their home game and they suck more than normal in 15th so I expect 2534 of their supporters to turn up.

However.. its at the G so double that.

WE are missing probably 9 from the Flag side last year so we are gettable.

Gonna rely on the kids to get it done.
No SDK, no PFD, no Close probably..., No Jack Henry... and so it goes on...

Will take our best to get over them and they'll be cranky and whiny like Dimma

They will also want to be proving how their new 7 year deal recruits were worth the price and puffing their chests out so expect them to be trying very hard.

IF we can get over them it will be good thing to be 6-0 after the 0-3 start.

GO Catters

Last edited:
Trifecta first post here.

Will be 30ish again, but I am less confident the more of our stocks are hit.

At least it was acknowledged in the 9 takeaways AFL post that we are batting very deep.

EDIT: Dimma is really becoming more of a sooky bully, must be channeling their fanbase.

Can we get a poll like mainboard? I reckon if we did a poll in the 3rd quarter of the Adelaide game most people would have selected a Geelong loss.

"Geelong by 0-20 points"
"Geelong by 20+ points"
"Richmond by 0-20 points"
"Richmond by 20+ points"

I reckon there a few joining Jack The Godfather predicting a Richmond win. Nothing wrong with that but would be interesting to measure our trepidation.

I'm sticking with Geelong by 4 goals in a game that may resemble the Adelaide one just gone.

We need one of Dangerfield or Guthrie to be competitive in the midfield IMO. Both missing is just too much quality against seasoned players like Taranto, Prestia and Hopper. Our forward line will clearly kick a winning score (even minus Rohan/Close) if we give them enough opportunities but I'm really, really concerned about our midfield. Will need a game out of the box from a Bruhn, Knevitt, even Clark type.

We need one of Dangerfield or Guthrie to be competitive in the midfield IMO. Both missing is just too much quality against seasoned players like Taranto, Prestia and Hopper. Our forward line will clearly kick a winning score (even minus Rohan/Close) if we give them enough opportunities but I'm really, really concerned about our midfield. Will need a game out of the box from a Bruhn, Knevitt, even Clark type.
It may surprise you that after Dangerfield went off, Geelong conceded just 7 scoring shots in a half of football. Holmes, Blicavs, Atkins 5 clearances each; Ceglar and Bruhn 4 (26 tackles and 47 contested possessions between the lot of them). We won clearances and inside 50s for the match against a midfield containing Laird and Dawson. So there's definitely reason for optimism too.

Hard to pick a result this early without knowing what soldiers we have to pick. There does reach a tipping point where those extra 1-2 players out starts to stretch even the good sides.

- If Close beats the MRO and Rohan (50/50) was available, then I think we still have enough weapons in the forward half. Not sure Richmond have the cattle to hold them if we get supply.

- Midfield will unsurprisingly be the key. Having both Danger and Guthrie out does make things tough. Prestia Martin Hopper Taranto is still a handy group in the middle despite all the talk about them under performing. If we break even and get a reasonable amount of ball inside 50 I think we're ok. Big test for Holmes Blicavs Atkins Bruhn Knevitt to see what they can do. I think Geelong might push Duncan closer up to the middle and even have him starting a bit in there ...... we probably lack clean hands and a cool head in there so I think Duncan is the bloke I'd go to as part of the midfield rotation. A bit depends on who they bring in - if it's Parfitt then he needs a serious rocket and perhaps a lockdown role on Prestia ...... unless they start with Atkins. Wouldn't be surprised if they used O'Connor more up around the ball ...... bigger body and he's form in recent weeks has been solid.

- Backline looks pretty solid and with the Richmond outs like Lynch and Rioli I think we should be able to hold them to a reasonable score. Kolo to Reiwoldt - and Esava to one of their talls.

Hardwick will use every trick in the book this week. A win against a fancied side like Geelong still gives their season hope. A loss (big incentive for us) just about kills off their chances in 2023.

Prestias 200th.

Maybe we set Stewart up for a few weeks rest coming up to the mid point of the season. A repeat performance knocking the meatball into the top deck of the Shane Warne stand .......... yeah yeah, I get it. For all you woke do gooders, it's a poor attempt at humour.

But all joking aside, he is a pretty important player for them so we'll need someone like Atkins or O'Connor to put some work into him. Given the quality of Taranto's disposal, we should allow him to get his hands on it as much as possible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prestias 200th.

Maybe we set Stewart up for a few weeks rest coming up to the mid point of the season. A repeat performance knocking the meatball into the top deck of the Shane Warne stand .......... yeah yeah, I get it. For all you woke do gooders, it's a poor attempt at humour.

But all joking aside, he is a pretty important player for them so we'll need someone like Atkins or O'Connor to put some work into him. Given the quality of Taranto's disposal, we should allow him to get his hands on it as much as possible.

:p!!

Nah, I'm all for making the Tuggers feel like barricading themselves over in the Royal rather than tring to step out on the field and face us!!!

I agree…but you know…I am excited.

I know we should never take 4 points for granted but at 5-3 and with our injuries I am seeing this as a free swing after a no-ball. If we lose we know why (the reasons you outlined)….but we have a chance for Tanner, Mitch, Max, Atkins, Blitz and maybe parf/Clark to have a crack at the higher fancied midfield knowing that they only have to not lose to badly and our defence (which is pretty good relative to their forward line) and our forwards (which will own their defence) are better…

Forget the betting odds…lets go in as underdogs but with a bunch of guys who know they might only be in the team short term - so lets go hard.

You'd think Parfitt or Clark comes in for Danger after being managed through the VFL game.

Potentially both, especially is Close is unsuccessful in his tribunal challenge.
I don't think Atkins & Parfitt fit in the same 22, and would love to know if others feel the same about Clark- for me he just doesn't look ready.

Can we get a poll like mainboard? I reckon if we did a poll in the 3rd quarter of the Adelaide game most people would have selected a Geelong loss.

"Geelong by 0-20 points"
"Geelong by 20+ points"
"Richmond by 0-20 points"
"Richmond by 20+ points"

I reckon there a few joining Jack The Godfather predicting a Richmond win. Nothing wrong with that but would be interesting to measure our trepidation.

I'm sticking with Geelong by 4 goals in a game that may resemble the Adelaide one just gone.
I wouldn’t know which one to choose. I honestly have no idea what to predict. My head tells me that you can’t win with 9 out from the grand final team only 9 rounds later against a team that is supposed to be top 4 (although they are not!). My heart tells me this is great - we get to see how our ”depth players” perform.

I won’t feel terrible if we lose (given injuries and we are due) but will feel amazing if we win. Most games I go in with the opposite (ho hum if we win but devastated if we don’t). I am going to enjoy it! And probably just watch those depth players really closely

I don't think Atkins & Parfitt fit in the same 22, and would love to know if others feel the same about Clark- for me he just doesn't look ready.
I think Atkins, Bruhn and Parf all similar bulls…can only have 2 I think? But Parf feels like he was in front of Clark so we might go with all 3 but rotating off the bench (60-70% game time each).

In terms if Clark it probably completely based on Close appeal? I imagine they wouldn’t take Dempsey out of 23?

I'll back the Cats to get the job done based on the competition for spots in the side post the bye where we could eventually see up to 8 selected this week mis the first final and no one wants to be one of them,yeah I did say final I'm bullish we will go deep into September.Cats by 25 points.

I'll back the Cats to get the job done based on the competition for spots in the side post the bye where we could eventually see up to 8 selected this week mis the first final and no one wants to be one of them,yeah I did say final I'm bullish we will go deep into September.Cats by 25 points.

FFS YPO, don't tell me you've got the lid off already?!!!

:p!!

Nah, I'm all for making the Tuggers feel like barricading themselves over in the Royal rather than tring to step out on the field and face us!!!
Couldn't care less about the Richmond faithful. Happy to leave them floating at the shallow end of the gene pool.

I was just being a bit careful in here as there's a few easily offended types who seem to forget that it's ok for someone to have a different opinion to theirs.

Couldn't care less about the Richmond faithful. Happy to leave them floating at the shallow end of the gene pool.

I was just being a bit careful in here as there's a few easily offended types who seem to forget that it's ok for someone to have a different opinion to theirs.

I gave you a bit of stick about bashing Dermie. I admit it!:D

I think Atkins has added enough strings to his bow that he can be the attacking player but I still worry about the top level talent missing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back