Game Day Geelong v Melbourne Thu Jun 22 720 pm @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Thursday night footy in what's felt like the coldest week in Geelong in an f*ING long time - always nice when one gets to work at 8:30am only to be informed over the radio it's a lovely 5c in town. And then to add to the fun of footy under lights in winter, there's a 95% chance of rain this afternoon & evening - we know the ground drains well, but cold & rain could well play a part tonight

After welcoming our captain back from a hamstring injury, we then note him as an out a week later due to broken ribs & a punctured lung - he may have deemed himself good to go, so maybe we see him next week against Sydney

In good news, after suffering a fractured eye socket in the dying stages of our round 5 clash, premiership ruckman Rhys Stanley returns - he should add a much needed boost to our midfield, and hopefully we can take advantage of his return even if we're missing a few key players

But the interesting question for tonight - how many long sleeves will we see take to the field... With the cold & potentially wet conditions, will Close have any friends opting for the alt guernsey

Carn the Cats - let's get our premiership defence back on track

I’ve missed watching a bunch of recent games live so I’m pumped to see how we go tonight. Never thought I’d be so excited to see Stanley back in the team. It’s another week of cats last chance, we’ve still got some key players missing. But there’s enough pieces there for us to win if we’re good enough.

The two matches I had circled a few weeks back when the wheels were falling off were the Bulldogs game and this one. Absolute must wins to keep the season alive and get a sense of momentum going with a decent squad available for the run home.

We got a tick in the first one. If we win this then I have full confidence in going 8-1 at home for the year and having a 4 game winning streak heading into our big road trip to the Gabba (in such a situation, that game itself would almost be like a final for us).

Lose this one, even unluckily, and it doesn't rule finals out but it makes the margin for error incredibly tight. And it would simply be hard to see us get going.

Time to step up boys.

Cats by 2 points.

Interested to see if Bruhn is a late out tonight.

If he is one bit unsure about his shoulder and second guesses going as hard at the ball or the player as he normally would, he could be exploited when on the ground.

Training well with it is one thing but if there is any doubt in his mind, even subconsciously it's hard to tell until players are going hammer and tongs at it in a real game.

Just gotta trust the club and player to make the correct call (not Sam Reid in GF style).

... On another topic, boy Parf is really goners atm hey? Can't even crack the EMG list with our midfield being this bleak.

It's hard to see what he can do to turn this around even next year... The first thing I think of is just getting his body and fitness level at an all-time high and then going from there.

Welcome to Thursday night footy in what's felt like the coldest week in Geelong in an f*ING long time - always nice when one gets to work at 8:30am only to be informed over the radio it's a lovely 5c in town. And then to add to the fun of footy under lights in winter, there's a 95% chance of rain this afternoon & evening - we know the ground drains well, but cold & rain could well play a part tonight

After welcoming our captain back from a hamstring injury, we then note him as an out a week later due to broken ribs & a punctured lung - he may have deemed himself good to go, so maybe we see him next week against Sydney

In good news, after suffering a fractured eye socket in the dying stages of our round 5 clash, premiership ruckman Rhys Stanley returns - he should add a much needed boost to our midfield, and hopefully we can take advantage of his return even if we're missing a few key players

But the interesting question for tonight - how many long sleeves will we see take to the field... With the cold & potentially wet conditions, will Close have any friends opting for the alt guernsey

Carn the Cats - let's get our premiership defence back on track
35 over here in the land of Thai

I know it's not exactly like this. But it absolutely feels like win or bust to me. People can say how the 'mathematical' chances still roll from 6-8. But I just believe you're asking for way too much to go right if you dig yourself a hole that deep.

Early signs last week were so positive. And then we fell in a gigantic hole in the blink of an eye. Some valid reasons for that were present yet again. But the cold, hard reality is that the footy we dished up in the second half last weekend isn't beating anyone of note in this competition.

Can we be better for longer tonight? I certainly hope so. Because if we're not, the likelihood of raising the ton yet again (and getting belted as a result) is about as big as Eddie's shorts used to be.

Lift, Geelong. High enough and long enough to make this a real contest. If we don't get the 'W' tonight, I feel almost certain the season is done in the ultimate sense. So I hope the playing group feels the same and responds accordingly.

At home, we absolutely can prevail. But we're going to need way more than two decent quarters of footy to do that. So let the pressure rise and let the players respond accordingly.

We. Are. Geelong.

If he is one bit unsure about his shoulder and second guesses going as hard at the ball or the player as he normally would, he could be exploited when on the ground.

Training well with it is one thing but if there is any doubt in his mind, even subconsciously it's hard to tell until players are going hammer and tongs at it in a real game.

Just gotta trust the club and player to make the correct call (not Sam Reid in GF style).

... On another topic, boy Parf is really goners atm hey? Can't even crack the EMG list with our midfield being this bleak.

It's hard to see what he can do to turn this around even next year... The first thing I think of is just getting his body and fitness level at an all-time high and then going from there.
I was thinking the same vs Tanner. Mainly as he just didn’t get the ball after he was bumped last week (compared to being great in the first qtr) before being subbed. So even if he was ok I thought they might be conservative in terms of the risk of playing him in a big game. But I am not “hearing anything“ about him being a late out so expect him to play now.

In terms of Parf…I am a little sad tbh. His attitude looks first rate. His effort in VFL is great. But his output remains poor and it seems like he missed the opportunity? 2023 was set up for him to make that next step. Age and game profile perfect…snuck into premiership team…lots of MF injuries…but he just hasn’t been able to take it - despite doing everything he can…

I am not sure what happens from here given Danger will come back…menegola will now try and push to get in team…Knevitt has had a taste. Tanner doesn’t want to give up spot… Guthrie who knows… But even if Parf output improves over next couple of weeks he will find it hard to get back in?

I know it's not exactly like this. But it absolutely feels like win or bust to me. People can say how the 'mathematical' chances still roll from 6-8. But I just believe you're asking for way too much to go right if you dig yourself a hole that deep.

Early signs last week were so positive. And then we fell in a gigantic hole in the blink of an eye. Some valid reasons for that were present yet again. But the cold, hard reality is that the footy we dished up in the second half last weekend isn't beating anyone of note in this competition.

Can we be better for longer tonight? I certainly hope so. Because if we're not, the likelihood of raising the ton yet again (and getting belted as a result) is about as big as Eddie's shorts used to be.

Lift, Geelong. High enough and long enough to make this a real contest. If we don't get the 'W' tonight, I feel almost certain the season is done in the ultimate sense. So I hope the playing group feels the same and responds accordingly.

At home, we absolutely can prevail. But we're going to need way more than two decent quarters of footy to do that. So let the pressure rise and let the players respond accordingly.

We. Are. Geelong.
Nah you're right. Rescuing the season is contingent on winning tonight and starting a run. This is as close to a final as it gets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't be surprised if that was also something of Parfitt's call and that he just wants to focus on football and finding form - he's better off in the VFL for a month rather than an emergency one week, being held over or playing a quarter as the sub type thing

Nah you're right. Rescuing the season is contingent on winning tonight and starting a run. This is as close to a final as it gets.
I absolutely agree. For all the mathematical possibilities in the world, eventually you just have to start playing well enough to be a contender. If we can't get that going now, it just seems wishful thinking to suggest it's going to happen sometime soon. And without absolutely improving our overall output right now, even games against teams like the Swans and Bombers seem like really big mountains to climb. Lose tonight, and continue to show very little, and we could easily be 7-10 going to the Gabbatoir. That's 'season over' with plenty of games still to play in my view.

The key is not bombing long to Lever, May and others down back - I see teams fall for this week in and week out. Makes me wonder about the coaches' intelligence - in both senses of that word.

A late change is more than likely and I'd be happy enough to see Knevitt or Dempsey included. Or even Bowes as his lack of pace won't be so evident on our ground.

The key is not bombing long to Lever, May and others down back - I see teams fall for this week in and week out. Makes me wonder about the coaches' intelligence - in both senses of that word.

A late change is more than likely and I'd be happy enough to see Knevitt or Dempsey included. Or even Bowes as his lack of pace won't be so evident on our ground.
Yes lower the eyes against this mob, so Miers could be dangerous in this aspect of the game. They’ve been worked out a bit in a few of their losses by teams hitting the short passes in and around the 50 and not bombing it in for their tall backs and Gawn getting back.

Hunger matters! According to Eddie Betts he believes we haven’t been as hungry as last year and he referenced Tom Atkins comments from last year about how he was on edge about performing for each game because he could be dropped . Betts thinks it doesn’t seem the same this year!!!
I think so too…. HUNGER MATTERS!

No Paddy / No Clarry Oliver ! Cancels each other out…. No excuses! Dees forwards are bog average and their connectivity of the mids and forwards ain’t great… shouldn’t be conceding 100+ against this forward group! Van Rooyen, Pickett, Fritsch, Smith , Chandler … aren’t performing. They’re averaging 69 points in the last 4 weeks… it’s bog average and it’s only their defensive mindset that keeps them in games…
It’s time to play like premiers and get this done!

A win here, and Crows lose to Pies (Likely) and we're back into 8th spot with 3 winnable games after this one would be season back on track.

So get it done boys.

I’m feeling good about this. It’s statement time and I think this group and the coach have it in them.

That said, if I’m wrong, we will look back at this game as a pivotal moment in the season, one where our chances for the year officially died.

I’m feeling good about this. It’s statement time and I think this group and the coach have it in them.
Agree, I was pessimistically hopeful last week, but home ground, wet night, backs to the wall, plenty of upside in the likes of Cameron, Henrys, Stewart et al....Cats by 17

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back