Preview Geelong v Melbourne Thu Jun 22 720 pm @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Season buster.

Hard to call in Rd 15 but here we are.

No Captain PFD either.
No Guthrie.

Maybe getting Stanley back but it feels like the weight of injuries and poor form from RD1 have taken their tool and that fruit is baring its reality now.

ultimately, we won last year and have been luckless since.

But thats footy and you have to make the best of it.

So on our dung heap its 10th v 3rd and we have it all to lose. Need the 4 points pretty much every week to be a chance for the 8 and to control our own destiny.

Our best if good enough to win it all still - but having only being able to deliver it for about 35 secs this season wont cut it .

If we can go a game with no added injuries and play our best footy we can win - but its a massive if and whilst we got the Doggies a few weeks ago the Demons with Gawn and Grundy are a much taller task - welcome back Rhys lol.

Lets hope we dig deep and play our best

GO Catters

I'm gonna assume Bruhn is out. I really hope he isn't because he's been showing some good signs.

The only chance we have midfield wise is to not get destroyed by deploying weight of numbers. Without Oliver we get a tiny life raft. Collingwood didn't use it but their forwards suck and their defence has holes.

So anyway Stanley in releases Blicavs to midfield. We need Blicavs, Atkins and Holmes to fire as mids at the same time. Holmes has had two great first half games (Richmond, Port) then fading on his recent record. We need a full match. This season Blicavs and Atkins are mostly alternating their good games (taking turns) and we can't afford that without Dangerfield.

Bring Knevitt in and give Hardie a go. They can be our midfield rotations to help the other 3. Stengle to give us 5 in there every now and again.

C: Duncan Blicavs Smith
FOL: Stanley Atkins Holmes

Rotations: Stengle Knevitt Hardie

Look it's still a solid enough group of 9. But we need the core 6 to play out of their skins and the rotations to be competitive too.

Not asking for much am I?

I'm confident on the small ground our forwards can beat their defenders and our defenders can beat their forwards (time to bounce back guys).

Firstly, let's just admit that the season is already gone. Things become a lot clearer and less distorted this way. 😅

I want to to start seeing some small victories from our young midfield group. We're not going to see a return to our brilliant best with the coming of Guthrie and Menegola. With Selwood gone and Danger on his last legs, our midfield era is pretty much over. It's time to blood the next generation. This season has shown me that our midfield just isn't good enough. Time to focus the energies on rebuilding it.

We probably lose this game, but it'd be great to see some small victories.

I can't believe how blind I was with regards to the gaping hole Selwood left in our team. This group is a shell of its former self without him.

Firstly, let's just admit that the season is already gone. Things become a lot clearer and less distorted this way. 😅

I want to to start seeing some small victories from our young midfield group. We're not going to see a return to our brilliant best with the coming of Guthrie and Menegola. With Selwood gone and Danger on his last legs, our midfield era is pretty much over. It's time to blood the next generation. This season has shown me that our midfield just isn't good enough. Time to focus the energies on rebuilding it.

We probably lose this game, but it'd be great to see some small victories.

I can't believe how blind I was with regards to the gaping hole Selwood left in our team. This group is a shell of its former self without him.
Not sure what a midfield era is, but Guthrie is our reigning B&F and Dangerfield our best performing player when available this season. Both are playing next season but take out most sides best two midfielders and they'll struggle.

Blicavs and Atkins are fine 3rd and 4th midfielders (just not 1 and 2), particularly if you have the more mobile Stanley rucking to them. Holmes has shown glimpses as a jet in there but full game consistency isn't quite there yet. Bruhn and Knevitt have shown bits.

Main issue is simply that the only players we've consistently had playing together from the above list over the past 6 weeks are Blicavs, Atkins and two kids. Our average midfield has been something like:

Ceglar Atkins Blicavs
Bruhn Knevitt

Thursday we had Dangerfield but he, like Bruhn, got injured again.

So we replace those two, bring Stanley in and if our core fire we are a chance.

Stanley will come in for danger.
It might be that we rest tuohy because we were going to last week (although can we afford to rest anyone atm) in which case knevitt comes in.

I assume either knevitt or hardie is on standby for bruhn (i expect we name him but he doesnt get up).

The question is do we play stanley and ceglar vs gawn and grundy or does that make us too tall? And who goes our if sav is back?

Last Chance GIF by Yellowstone

Not sure what a midfield era is, but Guthrie is our reigning B&F and Dangerfield our best performing player when available this season. Both are playing next season but take out most sides best two midfielders and they'll struggle.

Blicavs and Atkins are fine 3rd and 4th midfielders (just not 1 and 2), particularly if you have the more mobile Stanley rucking to them. Holmes has shown glimpses as a jet in there but full game consistency isn't quite there yet. Bruhn and Knevitt have shown bits.

Main issue is simply that the only players we've consistently had playing together from the above list over the past 6 weeks are Blicavs, Atkins and two kids. Our average midfield has been something like:

Ceglar Atkins Blicavs
Bruhn Knevitt

Thursday we had Dangerfield but he, like Bruhn, got injured again.

So we replace those two, bring Stanley in and if our core fire we are a chance.
It's a huge 'if', and the difference between a big 'if' and actually having a core group that's played together all season is just night and day, based on a hypothetical that hasn't come to pass.

I personally don't think it's anywhere near a reasonable expectation, but sure - it's possible.

It's a huge 'if', and the difference between a big 'if' and actually having a core group that's played together all season is just night and day, based on a hypothetical that hasn't come to pass.

I personally don't think it's anywhere near a reasonable expectation, but sure - it's possible.
Melbourne on an off day aren't really any better than Bulldogs on an average day though, such as when Essendon and Freo beat them by 5 goals. We beat the Dogs by a few goals under the roof so it's not irrational to think we can take Melbourne all the way with a stronger side.

A team (away) with:

Ceglar Blicavs Atkins Bruhn Knevitt Smith

beat

English Liberatore Bontempelli Macrae Daniel Treloar Smith

So why can't a team (home) with:

Stanley Blicavs Holmes Atkins Knevitt Duncan Smith

beat

Gawn Grundy Petracca Viney Pickett Langdon Hunter

I think we can afford to lose 3 of our last 10 and still make finals.

Top 4 is still in reach if we win 9.

Now's a good time to start.

Melbourne on an off day aren't really any better than Bulldogs on an average day though, such as when Essendon and Freo beat them by 5 goals. We beat the Dogs by a few goals under the roof so it's not irrational to think we can take Melbourne all the way with a stronger side.

A team (away) with:

Ceglar Blicavs Atkins Bruhn Knevitt Smith

beat

English Liberatore Bontempelli Macrae Daniel Treloar Smith

So why can't a team (home) with:

Stanley Blicavs Holmes Atkins Knevitt Duncan Smith

beat

Gawn Grundy Petracca Viney Pickett Langdon Hunter
Oliver returns too.

Oliver returns too.
Oh does he? For some reason I thought his issue was lingering.

That makes the assignment tougher, but still not impossible. Melbourne have had 2 good performances against teams in the top 13 (Geelong have had 3). Even Richmond almost rolled them when they were in much poorer shape; Gold Coast too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh does he? For some reason I thought his issue was lingering.

That makes the assignment tougher, but still not impossible. Melbourne have had 2 good performances against teams in the top 13 (Geelong have had 3). Even Richmond almost rolled them when they were in much poorer shape; Gold Coast too.
I was under the impression that he was over his hamstring issue and only missed the last game due to an infected blister.

I was under the impression that he was over his hamstring issue and only missed the last game due to an infected blister.
I guess it's just weird that the two most recent updates give timelines of TBC: one with the hamstring from end of May, one on afl.com.au with the infected blister. Melbourne's last injury update was like May 29, although I've been told clubs besides ours all do give week by week updates with exact projected week of return.

I guess it's just weird that the two most recent updates give timelines of TBC: one with the hamstring from end of May, one on afl.com.au with the infected blister. Melbourne's last injury update was like May 29, although I've been told clubs besides ours all do give week by week updates with exact projected week of return.
I found this - Clayton Oliver comes clean on unwise hospital sneak-out when in ‘bad’ way

'Melbourne have the bye this week but return to the field next Thursday night in a blockbuster against Geelong.

Oliver is hopeful of featuring, but stopped short of guaranteeing his return.

“I’m not going to say yes (I’ll play) because I said that against Collingwood and didn’t play against ... hope so,” he said.'

Bad news - paddy out; Clarry Oliver back..
Good news - from the 6 teams that have played after a bye thus far 5 have had a reverse result from their pre bye game…
To take a look at pre- post bye results of the 6.
Saints L-W. Suns W-L
Dockers W-L. Cats W-L
Lions L-L
Swans W-L
Only Lions got the same result as pre bye and only one winner after the bye thus far too….The four teams that won pre bye have all lost post bye…
So Let’s hope the Dees were feeling happy with themselves after the woods win , had a break and feel a bit flat for this one…
Cats are in this!

With the OUTS being Danger:crossmark: and Bruhn:crossmark:.
For me... the weather will play a big part in the team set up.
If it's a dry cold night then.
Key return for me will be Esava:whitecheck:... allows us a few different looks in the back 50.
Followed by Stanley:whitecheck: which allows Blitz to be used in multiple ways in our centre 50.
Duncan will be the joker this week. Can he return to form in our midfield ??
If so... we'll give this a real good shake.
Mid rotation of Holmes/Atkins/Blitz/Duncan/Smith.
If it's a wet miserable night then the team could be totally different.
Does a rain soaked night give Parfitt a reprieve?? I've put a line thru him... but conditions will suit a short big bodied plodder who loves to tackle.
The conditions would suit Bowes who's not fast/quick. Ditto for Tuohy.
Dempsey conditions don't suit? Yeah a nope for me. Does Hardie get a look in?? Big body who loves the physical aspect as well. Maybe?
Does the conditions put a line thru Ollie Henry??
Weather will influence the sides make up as well as the game this week for me.
Keep the faith boys. Backs against the wall. We aren't done just yet.

Season buster.

Hard to call in Rd 15 but here we are.

No Captain PFD either.
No Guthrie.

Maybe getting Stanley back but it feels like the weight of injuries and poor form from RD1 have taken their tool and that fruit is baring its reality now.

ultimately, we won last year and have been luckless since.

But thats footy and you have to make the best of it.

So on our dung heap its 10th v 3rd and we have it all to lose. Need the 4 points pretty much every week to be a chance for the 8 and to control our own destiny.

Our best if good enough to win it all still - but having only being able to deliver it for about 35 secs this season wont cut it .

If we can go a game with no added injuries and play our best footy we can win - but its a massive if and whilst we got the Doggies a few weeks ago the Demons with Gawn and Grundy are a much taller task - welcome back Rhys lol.

Lets hope we dig deep and play our best

GO Catters

That's all I'm asking (hoping for)
We've been at the top of the mountain for sixteen years and snared four flags, so I'm not about to unload on them if this is indeed the start of an (inevitable) slide, except to say that some of our "efforts" in the fourth quarter last week were really unacceptable, losing I can accept as long as the effort is there.

I don't think we will win this one, to be frank. The Dees have hit a vein of form recently and well, the poor Catters are pretty much stuffed. The cohesion of the team (that we saw last season) is just not there for some reason and then add the horrendous injury list on top of that and it's a shitshow at Kardinia Park. Even Jezza has dropped considerably in form in the last 6 weeks. A month into the season he was the best player in the competition, and now many have him outside their top 5.

Selwood, Dangerfield, and Guthrie were our three A-grade midfielders last time we played the Dees, but all three will be absent for this match. I assume Bruhn will also be out injured unless he plays through the injury. Somehow our midfield is now more depleted than a fortnight ago. One positive in this situation would have been getting games into Jhye Clark, but he's injured. Mengola would have offered some cover, but he's injured. So the frontline mid options are Atkins, a woefully out-of-form Parfitt or Simpson, Knevitt, or maybe that rookie from the SANFL?

Pretty grim. We will need a recurrence of the 1994 semi-final miracle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back