Cats have strength advantage all game.
Circuit breakers in the back line.
Greater capacity up forward.
Dynamo Danger will provide the spark.
Duncan will complete the relay
Homes is a flash between the Arc's
Port will be effectively grounded

Wombo H Cats Gloomy+ Art 01.jpg Wombo H Cats Ink+ 01.jpg

Knevits a bit stiff. On current form would rather him over ollie henry, mark oconnor, tom atkins and even bruhn.

Knevits a bit stiff. On current form would rather him over ollie henry, mark oconnor, tom atkins and even bruhn.
Atkins is our only midfielder to get coaches votes over the past month. And he did it twice.

O.Henry and O'Connor are not like for like because we'll be playing them in defence and up forward respectively.

Bruhn would be the only option. He brings an extra 2 and a half disposals, 2 clearances, half an inside 50, 2 and a half tackles and half a goal. So I'm guessing they used disposals, clearances, inside 50s, tackles and goals as criteria.

Accidentally flicked onto 360, and Montagna pointed out how poor our defense is currently doing, points out that we have our Premiership back 6 largely back together now, but totally omits our midfield has been decimated which I would say a strong midfield allows our defense to do what it does best.

At least Lewis recognised just how important Duncan is.

Take out legspeed and I’d pretty much agree. Legspeed is the most overrated of traits in elite midfielders. The elite midfielders tend to have average speed (are often actually slow) but have above average running endurance and where they excel is finding the ball through the combination of other traits you mention. Elite mids that have speed are exceptionally rare. Judd, Ablett and Dangerfield are a few of the notable exceptions of the past 20 years. But all of them excelled in every other dimension as well with Ablett and Danger also being great overhead.

Speedy mids have a place as role players but tend to be icing, not cake.

Inside mids get graded on a harsh curve at AFL level. They'd be few truly slow inside mids, biomechanically it is hard to build up speed on the inside going vertical to horizontal to vertical again saps you of pace, those that can do it semi-constantly almost become elite on that attribute alone. Regardless when you break down an inside mid's attributes down, you need a certain output of endurance and ability to generate effective clearances, be it by strength, power or fast reactions. The way I conceptualise it, is there is a certain minimum requirement to make it as an AFL inside mid then you build on top of it add multiple avenues to win an effective clearance plus a few of good footskills, top end pace, marking ability or goal sense and you get an elite inside mid at AFL level.

Accidentally flicked onto 360, and Montagna pointed out how poor our defense is currently doing, points out that we have our Premiership back 6 largely back together now, but totally omits our midfield has been decimated which I would say a strong midfield allows our defense to do what it does best.

I would say Montagna has a point because we're often breaking even for clearances and inside 50s, yet are conceding the most marks inside 50 in a long time - maybe record levels during Scott's reign. We haven't done too much better on ground balls. But of course quality inside 50 entries, forwards applying pressure etc will help as well as having a deeper engine room. So it's a bit of both.

Inside mids get graded on a harsh curve at AFL level. They'd be few truly slow inside mids, biomechanically it is hard to build up speed on the inside going vertical to horizontal to vertical again saps you of pace, those that can do it semi-constantly almost become elite on that attribute alone. Regardless when you break down an inside mid's attributes down, you need a certain output of endurance and ability to generate effective clearances, be it by strength, power or fast reactions. The way I conceptualise it, is there is a certain minimum requirement to make it as an AFL inside mid then you build on top of it add multiple avenues to win an effective clearance plus a few of good footskills, top end pace, marking ability or goal sense and you get an elite inside mid at AFL level.
Well said. A lot of mids are unfairly accused of being slow.

That vision was damning. Guarding grass indeed.

It wasn't great, and we definitely need to correct our defense, but there were clips where the Bulldogs mids were given time and space for easy entries into our d50.

We play a team defense, and for the last month our midfield hasn't been at a high level.

I expect we are going to look good and be switched on V Port.

Almost entirely it was damning on our midfield.

First clip is fast transition with no pressure on the ball whatsoever. The player who receives it is free coming from midfield with nobody tracking him. No defence is stopping that.

Second clip is a slow play and our midfield unforgiveably leaves the corridor completely unguarded. Henry didn't "just drop off Ugle Hagan". He was correctly covering boundary side because that is where the ball should be going. The kick inside gives JUH a 2-3 metre head start and he's one of the quickest forwards in the league. Henry isn't going to impact that contest so decides to defend the next ball which is the right decision.

Stewart decides to cover the open side because that's normally where the danger is. Lobb cuts back to what should be a 3 on 2 for the dogs (Z Guthrie and his opponent, our winger and his opponent and Lobb as the extra). That's a better result than Lobb leading to space on the open side. If you look at the wing we have 2 players trailing their opponents so it becomes basically a 3 on 1. This is all on the midfield.

The final clip is weird. Did SDK think it was a ball up? In any case our defenders aren't "guarding grass". They're outnumbered and trying to cover multiple players. Clearly there was a big breakdown but without a wider shot it's impossible to know what exactly caused it (SDK didn't help). It's possible (likely?) that we started transitioning forward since we looked out and were left outnumbered when the ball was suddenly turned over. SDK obviously didn't have his head in the game but Zuthrie and J Henry are left with no chance of competing. Suddenly turning the ball over near defensive 50 when you look out is a recipe for a disorganised looking defence.

Defence is a team game and we're clearly not pressuring ahead of the ball as well as we would like and we're getting lost at times in transition. But the back 6 are the only guys that aren't responsible for that. And I thought our defence stood up well against what looked like a swarm of dogs going forward far too often.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are we taking a big risk on Max Holmes bringing him back so soon?

He is basically replacing Knevitt, who I think is on the up anyway atm... I hope we haven't brought Holmes in too soon.

Are we taking a big risk on Max Holmes bringing him back so soon?

He is basically replacing Knevitt, who I think is on the up anyway atm... I hope we haven't brought Holmes in too soon.

We are the most conservative club in the league in regards to bringing back players from injury. He was probably ready 3 weeks ago lol

Almost entirely it was damning on our midfield.

First clip is fast transition with no pressure on the ball whatsoever. The player who receives it is free coming from midfield with nobody tracking him. No defence is stopping that.

Second clip is a slow play and our midfield unforgiveably leaves the corridor completely unguarded. Henry didn't "just drop off Ugle Hagan". He was correctly covering boundary side because that is where the ball should be going. The kick inside gives JUH a 2-3 metre head start and he's one of the quickest forwards in the league. Henry isn't going to impact that contest so decides to defend the next ball which is the right decision.

Stewart decides to cover the open side because that's normally where the danger is. Lobb cuts back to what should be a 3 on 2 for the dogs (Z Guthrie and his opponent, our winger and his opponent and Lobb as the extra). That's a better result than Lobb leading to space on the open side. If you look at the wing we have 2 players trailing their opponents so it becomes basically a 3 on 1. This is all on the midfield.

The final clip is weird. Did SDK think it was a ball up? In any case our defenders aren't "guarding grass". They're outnumbered and trying to cover multiple players. Clearly there was a big breakdown but without a wider shot it's impossible to know what exactly caused it (SDK didn't help). It's possible (likely?) that we started transitioning forward since we looked out and were left outnumbered when the ball was suddenly turned over. SDK obviously didn't have his head in the game but Zuthrie and J Henry are left with no chance of competing. Suddenly turning the ball over near defensive 50 when you look out is a recipe for a disorganised looking defence.

Defence is a team game and we're clearly not pressuring ahead of the ball as well as we would like and we're getting lost at times in transition. But the back 6 are the only guys that aren't responsible for that. And I thought our defence stood up well against what looked like a swarm of dogs going forward far too often.
That’s the most charitable interpretation one could imagine. I hope (and expect) we are putting more work into remedying the errors highlighted in those clips.

Not sure if the selected team is meant to be a serious representation of reality? But Dangerfield selected in back pocket, and Stewart still captain?
B5819862-4FC4-4502-A547-7C406D3FE707.jpeg

Pretty confident the boys will give a good account of themselves tonight. Feel like this whole season has been leading into the bye, resetting and attacking
The back half of the year. Think it’s our strongest team this year we have put out there. For all the talk of our midfield, it’s defence that needs to stand up tonight. A win, under lights, at AO, against a white hot team, and all of a sudden our season is well under way

I think you're almost right. Will take more than tonight i think. but a W tonight and it will look alot like the needle has turned.
Obviously, but we do need a big result. With some momentum and a full side we would have a good chance of going on a run (Melbourne home, Sydney away, NM home, Essendon home). In my ladder predictor that could have us right up there with Brisbane, Melbourne and St Kilda before our game at the Gabba. Lose this one and we are looking at a situation where we'd have to climb into top 4 at the very death and needing to beat both Brisbane and Collingwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back