Preview Geelong V Port Thu June 15 @ AO 710 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Teddy Whitten - the late E J Whitten - was still calling the Geelong games on the the local radio

Well Teddy in his preview of the game would be saying that Chris Scott is playing Ducks and Drakes ( whatever that fecken means ) with the selection of this Geel side

Because looking at the emergencies there could be 4 late outs - not 1

My only slight dissappointment with the team - is at this stage Tuohy is out - i thought he played quite well against the Bulldogs - loved his couple of Gary Malarkey type torps - and with the week off for the bye - youd reckon he would be raring to go against Port Adelaide

Same here, can't fathom the reasoning for "managing" him the week after a bye.
Would also have played Stanley, if he's good to go then don't see the point in holding him back.

Apart from that it looks a good side, IF Holmes and Duncan both line up that is.

So my key battles for tonight are:

Kolo on Dixon
SDK on Marshall
Atkins on Butters
Blics on Rozee
Jez vs Allir
Ceglar vs Lycett

If we can win/equalize those, we can win this. Going to be incredibly tough, but I think we have a chance with the ins we have. Most importantly, good use out of the center, and pressure the hell out of them coming out of the backline (Rohan, Close, Stengle etc.), just like they will do to us with their elite forward pressure.

Genuinely excited for this game, and will be ok with it if we lose, but it's close. More important to get Danger, Holmesy and Dunc firing, and then bring back Rhys next week for when our season really starts, against the Dees.

Nothing to stop us going on a 9-1 run from there (loss against the Pies but wins against everyone else), if we're good enough. Do that, finish with 15 wins, and a shot at Top 4.

Same here, can't fathom the reasoning for "managing" him the week after a bye.
Would also have played Stanley, if he's good to go then don't see the point in holding him back.

Apart from that it looks a good side, IF Holmes and Duncan both line up that is.
There have been the whispers of Tuohy carrying a back issue all season and it partially explaining why he's been a bit off kilter at times. Maybe the intention was to nurse him back to health properly once the cavalry were ready to return. From memory, players with niggles in the second half of last season often got managed for 2 weeks rather than 1.

Kolo on Dixon
SDK on Marshall
Atkins on Butters
Blics on Rozee
Jez vs Allir
Ceglar vs Lycett

If we can win/equalize those, we can win this. Going to be incredibly tough, but I think we have a chance with the ins we have. Most importantly, good use out of the center, and pressure the hell out of them coming out of the backline (Rohan, Close, Stengle etc.), just like they will do to us with their elite forward pressure.

Genuinely excited for this game, and will be ok with it if we lose, but it's close. More important to get Danger, Holmesy and Dunc firing, and then bring back Rhys next week for when our season really starts, against the Dees.

Nothing to stop us going on a 9-1 run from there (loss against the Pies but wins against everyone else), if we're good enough. Do that, finish with 15 wins, and a shot at Top 4.
I think we'll see either Jack Henry or SDK on Dixon.

Kolo on Dixon
SDK on Marshall
Atkins on Butters
Blics on Rozee
Jez vs Allir
Ceglar vs Lycett

I mostly like it. Kolo to Dixon is a reasonable move but I did expect him on Marshall and then to simply to try De Koning on Dixon again as it will be more of a classic full back role. I know he's undersized so it does concern me and maybe your solution is the one. Then of course J.Henry on Finlayson.

You'd hope Hawkins can eat McKenzie alive, and with Allir chasing Jezza who will they use to take on Rohan in the air? If we get good supply in there our forwards could run amok.

Midfield wise I'd shuffle things slightly. Dangerfield head to head with Rozee who, despite being a really good player, I think can be overpowered and burnt the other way. Atkins is a more like for like match up with fellow slowish bull Wines. Blicavs the natural tagger and contested scrapper, so is surely the best fit for Butters.

I mostly like it. Kolo to Dixon is a reasonable move but I did expect him on Marshall and then to simply to try De Koning on Dixon again as it will be more of a classic full back role. I know he's undersized so it does concern me and maybe your solution is the one. Then of course J.Henry on Finlayson.

You'd hope Hawkins can eat McKenzie alive, and with Allir chasing Jezza who will they use to take on Rohan in the air? If we get good supply in there our forwards could run amok.

Midfield wise I'd shuffle things slightly. Dangerfield head to head with Rozee who, despite being a really good player, I think can be overpowered and burnt the other way. Atkins is a more like for like match up with fellow slowish bull Wines. Blicavs the natural tagger and contested scrapper, so is surely the best fit for Butters.

I think we'll see either Jack Henry or SDK on Dixon.

Yeah I'm back and forth on who SDK and Henry will take, but Dixon looked ominous last round, and I think Kolo's bigger body may be better to start off with - as he can play well above his height.

Danger head to head with Rozee would be a consideration, but I kinda like the idea of taking their two best mids out of it - as they have nothing but slow'ish mids remaining, who are well below par this year. If Rozee and Butters aren't getting it, then Danger and Holmes should be able to run it out of the center, while their other mids are rendered ineffective.

Will be interesting to see how we go about it, but at the very least, I'd be putting Atkins on Butters. Atkins ain't slow and has a quick step, is tough as they come, and has a defence first persona - he's the one I'd be tasking with taking down the hottest player in the comp right now.

Yeah I'm back and forth on who SDK and Henry will take, but Dixon looked ominous last round, and I think Kolo's bigger body may be better to start off with - as he can play well above his height.

Danger head to head with Rozee would be a consideration, but I kinda like the idea of taking their two best mids out of it - as they have nothing but slow'ish mids remaining, who are well below par this year. If Rozee and Butters aren't getting it, then Danger and Holmes should be able to run it out of the center, while their other mids are rendered ineffective.

Will be interesting to see how we go about it, but at the very least, I'd be putting Atkins on Butters. Atkins ain't slow and has a quick step, is tough as they come, and has a defence first persona - he's the one I'd be tasking with taking down the hottest player in the comp right now.
I'd play Blicavs on Butters. He has the endurance to go with him for 4 quarters, I'm not sure Atkins has.

My only concern heading into tonight is the lack of accountability of late from our forwards. Teams have found it far too easy to transition the ball from their backline in the last month or so. Hopefully we tighten up a little.

Kolo on Dixon
SDK on Marshall
Atkins on Butters
Blics on Rozee
Jez vs Allir
Ceglar vs Lycett

Who gets Finlayson? He averages 2.2 goals per game and often gets out the back on his own.

Game day thread now available

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back