Preview Geelong v Richmond Fri May 12th 2023 720 pm @ MCG

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was trying to think of other games over the years when we had so many young players.

We had the draw with GWS in 2017 when we debuted Simpson, Buzza and Zuthrie in the same game (bulletproof and I were there). GWS was on top of the ladder at the time.

There’s one I can’t pinpoint that was against Brisbane at the Gabba. It must have been in or just after our strong years (maybe 2012 or so) because we were warm favourites despite missing many good players and Brisbane cleaned us up.
I was at that game also. I walked away knowing Simpson would be a player for us, and I still stand by that!

It'll come down to how long Richmond can maintain the rage, and how our youngsters stand up in the face of it.
That's the big concern. After half time last week, when Dangerfield left the ground, we held Adelaide at bay, but that's all.

Love what players like Dempsey and Knevvit are bringing to the table, but do they have the experience to do when Richmond get their inevitable run on?. The weakening of on field leadership means that Richmond run ons last for longer.

Richmond are almost cooked, almost. They still have some raw power. If Balta finds form and Martin and Reiwoldt lift for one last time, we could be in for a torrid night. Richmond have a lot more to play for. Lose tonight and their season is done. For us, it would just be a bump on the road.

I have tipped us, but I suspect it is more from the heart than the head.

That's the big concern. After half time last week, when Dangerfield left the ground, we held Adelaide at bay, but that's all.

Love what players like Dempsey and Knevvit are bringing to the table, but do they have the experience to do when Richmond get their inevitable run on?. The weakening of on field leadership means that Richmond run ons last for longer.

Richmond are almost cooked, almost. They still have some raw power. If Balta finds form and Martin and Reiwoldt lift for one last time, we could be in for a torrid night. Richmond have a lot more to play for. Lose tonight and their season is done. For us, it would just be a bump on the road.

I think the key difference between this week and last week is the ground. I think the younger players would be much more comfortable at home.

It will take a big step up tonight to win.

Though at least we have time to plan for no Danger this week.

Booing is the least of it.

They're laughing over a photo of GAJ having done his shoulder, want Stewart and Cameron taken out physically by whatever means necessary, and are straight up abusive in the vilest manner to any Cat fans who set foot there.

It all goes on without a whimper by their mods , so there's virtually no class, decency or decorum whatsoever, other than the odd, lone voice.

Just a cesspit.

I find it weird how they blame Hawkins for Soldo's knee injury when IIRC Hawkins was actually pushed into him by either Grimes or Balta too.

Using that rationale, I wonder what they feel about the Tigers player who pushed Jai Culley in the marking contest last week which resulted in Culley rupturing his ACL.

The anti booing saga is merely social agenda, big brother, so we'd better not express ourselves because we need to conform...lol, straight from UN control freaks and their think tanks.

There's got to be a tipping point - where injuries, the resulting change of personnel, and the knock-on effect that has on cohesion and experience - and we must be flirting dangerously close with it.

I was nervous v Adelaide, and we then lost Danger.

If it wasn't for Richmond's poor form I'd be very nervous indeed. I mean, I think we SHOULD win, but.......?

It's going to take a genuine team effort to get over the line tonight.

There's got to be a tipping point - where injuries, the resulting change of personnel, and the knock-on effect that has on cohesion and experience - and we must be flirting dangerously close with it.

I was nervous v Adelaide, and we then lost Danger.

If it wasn't for Richmond's poor form I'd be very nervous indeed. I mean, I think we SHOULD win, but.......?

It's going to take a genuine team effort to get over the line tonight.
Dangerfield and Close being out is the first time that "tipping point" scenario has started to flag itself. Two in-form jets really helping their line. Close has been an elite forward flanker the past 5 weeks (Adelaide game the only quiet one) and Dangerfield one of the form players in the comp.

The other injuries I think we've been able to cover okay. Arguably Holmes being in midfield more has been an improvement on Guthrie in the form he was in. O.Henry and Simpson probably doing near enough what Stengle and Rohan would. Plenty of people stepping up in defence.

Our depth and form is such that is is mostly only losing stars that will rock us. E.g if we lost Stewart, Cameron or Hawkins from here. Holmes and Blicavs probably in that category too based on the past month.

If we win tonight our whole season is set up, with players to come back in each of the next 3 weeks likely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I look at the outs and I'm starting to think we might be a bit f***ed here
Who don't you like from the 22 we've selected?

Forwards = Cameron, Hawkins, Miers, Henry, Simpson, Dempsey. Strong.
Mids = Ceglar, Blicavs, Holmes, Atkins, Smith, Duncan, Parfitt, Bruhn, Knevitt, Clark(sub). Average.
Defenders = Stewart, Kolo, Ratugolea, Z.Guthrie, O'Connor, Bews, Tuohy. Strong.

I count 15 2023 regulars in good form and playing well, a handful of promising youngsters and a couple with question marks. If the 15 we've selected who are reigning premiers play well and the youngsters have a good crack we'll be fine.

Who don't you like from the 22 we've selected?

Forwards = Cameron, Hawkins, Miers, Henry, Simpson, Dempsey. Strong.
Mids = Ceglar, Blicavs, Holmes, Atkins, Smith, Duncan, Parfitt, Bruhn, Knevitt, Clark(sub). Average.
Defenders = Stewart, Kolo, Ratugolea, Z.Guthrie, O'Connor, Bews, Tuohy. Strong.

I count 15 2023 regulars in good form and playing well, a handful of promising youngsters and a couple with question marks. If the 15 we've selected who are reigning premiers play well and the youngsters have a good crack we'll be fine.
A really logical way to look at it. A lot of responsibility on those young players tonight, but its pretty exciting!

The last 10 - 15 minutes last week both Holmes and Bruhn really stood up. I left last weeks game thinking it may have been the making of Bruhn and Knevitt. I am interested to see them tonight. I think Knevitt and Clark are both examples of players who will be better at AFL level than VFL.

Game Day:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back