2023 Player Reviews

Remove this Banner Ad

OLIVER HENRY

And so it eventuated, we got our man, and with typical AFL excellent timing and empathy, Ollie got to play his first game for us against his old team.

It proved to be a very eventful first game. We saw the best, and the worst only minutes apart.
Loved this- a dream start
But not this- a nightmare clanger
Still, as the experts said, he was entertaining, brave, involved, he stayed in the moment, and delivered that night what he has all year; excitement, goals, X-Factor, and just a little frustration for balance.

Ollie's season was sorely interrupted by perhaps the most painful of injuries, the ruptured testicle. 2 weeks later, after surgery, he's back on the scene.

Ollie said he couldn't wait to play with his brother Jack, but wait he had to.
But we should hope this is what we are going to see a lot more of next year.

Ollie played mainly as a medium forward, and given he stands at 189 cm, and weighs only 80kg, there is expected further growth and weight and strength gains for this 21 yo.

Ollie played in 22 games this season.
His highest goal tally of 4 was achieved 3 times this season, and his highest disposal tally was 17.
He has scored 41 goals this season, and this is in the elite category.
In other categories, he was rated below average in tackles and handballs, average in disposals and kicks, and above average in marks, and this is exactly what we see when we watch this talented player.

In my way of thinking, Ollie was the brightest spark in a disappointing season. There are areas he can improve, but he is already above average and elite in marking and scoring goals, and I hope he continues to play to his strengths. We missed on seeing the Henry brothers play together this season, to any extent, which for me is a travesty, as Jack is my favourite Cat, and after this season, Ollie is right up there.

Even in a losing final game against the Dogs, Ollie produced a standout game with 3 goals, and I like to think that is the springboard for his preseason, and start to 2024. The fact that he delivered 4 goals against his old side Collingwood, and also against Port, both top 4 teams and in high pressure games, augurs really well for his future.

Last edited:
OLIVER HENRY

And so it eventuated, we got our man, and with typical excellent timing and empathy, Ollie got to play his first game for us against his old team.

It proved to be a very eventful first game. We saw the best, and the worst only minutes apart.
Loved this- a dream start
But not this- a nightmare clanger
Still, as the experts said, he was entertaining, brave, involved, he stayed in the moment, and delivered that night what he has all year; excitement, goals, X-Factor, and just a little frustration for balance.

Ollie's season was sorely interrupted by perhaps the most painful of injuries, the ruptured testicle. 2 weeks later, after surgery, he's back on the scene.

Ollie said he couldn't wait to play with his brother Jack, but wait he had to.
But we should hope this is what we are going to see a lot more of next year.

Ollie played mainly as a medium forward, and given he stands at 189 cm, and weighs only 80kg, there is expected further growth and weight and strength gains for this 21 yo.

Ollie played in 22 games this season.
His highest goal tally of 4 was achieved 3 times this season, and his highest disposal tally was 17.
He has scored 41 goals this season, and this is in the elite category.
In other categories, he was rated below average in tackles and handballs, average in disposals and kicks, and above average in marks, and this is exactly what we see when we watch this talented player.

In my way of thinking, Ollie was the brightest spark in a disappointing season. There are areas he can improve, but he is already above average and elite in marking and scoring goals, and I hope he continues to play to his strengths. We missed on seeing the Henry brothers play together this season, TO ANY EXTENT, which for me is a travesty, as Jack is my favourite Cat, and after this season, Ollie is right up there.

Even in a losing final game against the Dogs, Ollie produced a standout game with 3 goals, and I like to think that is the springboard for his preseason, and start to 2024. The fact that he delivered 4 goals against his old side Collingwood, and also against Port, both top 4 teams and in high pressure games, augurs really well for his future.
Comprehensive and well written review Vdubs.

Ollie H certainly was the positive for our season. My only ‘criticism’ (more of feedback than criticism for such a young player) for Ollie was to find ways to influence/show presence in games he was otherwise quiet in. I remember our olde friend Dermott B said that in low possession games he always tried to have presence and exert physical pressure on opponents and the other defenders - while the thug acts are definitely out, I agree with the sentiment. The below average for tackles and handballs illustrates that - without evidence, my feeling was that opponents were confident about running off him (and the collective ability for opponents to do that this year really hurt us). I think the improvement in tackles and pressure will come for Ollie as he builds fitness and experience.

Will be interesting to see what type of player he develops into - Cameron would be an excellent role model.

Last edited:

TOMMY ATKINS

Well as Dorrie Evans said so often way back “It’s a well-known fact, Herb.”

Well it’s a well known fact that I have been a huge fan of Tommy Atkins since he hit the scene a few years ago. What we have witnessed is a guy who is absolutely determined to get the most out of himself as an AFL footballer, and to do his best to drag his teammates along with him.

More and more we have seen him directing traffic in the guts after a goal – a clear sign he has earned the respect of said teammates, and rightly so. He is not flashy like Danger and Jez, or breakaway like Cuthrie, but he always looks to impact, even on a bad day.

2023 saw Tommy a bit slow out of the blocks and he was not alone. But he picked up. It looks like he really did not get going until about R7 vs the Dons with him having varied impact until then.

I know he cops it on here for a couple of reasons. Firstly not getting the pill enough, and secondly not doing enough when he does get it.

He said later in the year that he had been working on the attacking side of his games and IMO he certainly picked that up in the last few rounds. But knowing him he will continue to work his arse off to improve that aspect of his game and anything else he can work on as well.

In terms of coaches votes he got:

R12 – 1 vote

R16 – 1

R17 – 6 and BOG

R18 – 5

R22 – 4

R24 – 5

So he came home with a wet sail clearly, possibly as the rest of the team and comp slowed down a bit? Who knows? Those later votes could also reflect the work he had been doing to get it more and do more.

The other thing that he does, aside from being a tackle machine, that really goes unnoticed and there is no stat for, is force a stoppage by getting the pill and getting caught. This must be tough work but he just keeps at it time and time again.

So how do we rate his year?

A bit like Gary Rohan who gets few stats except for the odd standout game, it is clear the Cats are a better team with Tommy Atkins firing up in the guts.

I love his passion and ferocity, and for a guy who is aggressive he is pretty clean and rarely if ever goes off at the oppo players.

If I was to rate him out of 10 this year it would be somewhere between and 6 and 7, and he scores a bit more for the non-stat stuff that he does moreso than some others.

On his current trajectory he will improve even more next year with a rest, rehab and full preseason.

EDIT: just saw he came third in the BF MVP for the Cats on our votes. So he is clearly getting the job done in our eyes. Qualifier though, a lot of injuries will throw those who play all games (e.g. Miers and Atkins) closer to the top. Still you gotta be out there in the first place.

Last edited:
The other thing that he does, aside from being a tackle machine, that really goes unnoticed and there is no stat for, is force a stoppage by getting the pill and getting caught. This must be tough work but he just keeps at it time and time

Enjoyed and agreed with your review of Atkins allrighty particularly with the section I’ve quoted - that type of unrewarded work at stoppages was massive for us this year; I reckon we’d have finished even lower if Atkins hadn’t been willing to take the hits time and again.

Of Geelong's regular best 22, the most enigmatic is probably the Irishman Mark O'Connor. He's usually described as a medium defender who occasionally pushes up into the midfield or into a tagging role, but there's more than a few people on this board who don't really understand what his role actually is. I didn't get it either for the first fifty or so games of his career.

A look at the stats should help. MOC has an unusual combination of being top five at the club for tackles and disposal efficiency, but comparatively few rebound 50s for a defender. Those stats suggest- and watching the games confirms it- that he's being used both as a lock-down small defender and as a loose option when it's time to switch the play.

This involves a lot of unrewarded running, but it works quite well in a very zoney defense like Geelong's, and if someone like Tom Stewart wins a contested footy and squirms the ball out to O'Connor, he can be confident that the next kick will end up with a teammate.

I don't believe I've ever seen O'Connor shirk a contest, but on the other hand I don't recall ever seeing him get really fired up either. He's got the knack of knowing when and how to let himself get tackled to force a ball-up, without giving away a HTB. His occasional stints as a tagger have generally been OK- he beat Zach Merrett hands down, and in our first game against the Dogs he played half the game on Bontempelli and nullified him pretty effectively.

Regardless of what the naysayers may claim, he's a lock in our best 22. That said, in 2024 he can definitely improve a few things. He kicks at 80% DE; it's a waste that he doesn't get more touches. And for a guy the same size as Jack Henry he could occasionally use his height more effectively.

Of Geelong's regular best 22, the most enigmatic is probably the Irishman Mark O'Connor. He's usually described as a medium defender who occasionally pushes up into the midfield or into a tagging role, but there's more than a few people on this board who don't really understand what his role actually is. I didn't get it either for the first fifty or so games of his career.

A look at the stats should help. MOC has an unusual combination of being top five at the club for tackles and disposal efficiency, but comparatively few rebound 50s for a defender. Those stats suggest- and watching the games confirms it- that he's being used both as a lock-down small defender and as a loose option when it's time to switch the play.

This involves a lot of unrewarded running, but it works quite well in a very zoney defense like Geelong's, and if someone like Tom Stewart wins a contested footy and squirms the ball out to O'Connor, he can be confident that the next kick will end up with a teammate.

I don't believe I've ever seen O'Connor shirk a contest, but on the other hand I don't recall ever seeing him get really fired up either. He's got the knack of knowing when and how to let himself get tackled to force a ball-up, without giving away a HTB. His occasional stints as a tagger have generally been OK- he beat Zach Merrett hands down, and in our first game against the Dogs he played half the game on Bontempelli and nullified him pretty effectively.

Regardless of what the naysayers may claim, he's a lock in our best 22. That said, in 2024 he can definitely improve a few things. He kicks at 80% DE; it's a waste that he doesn't get more touches. And for a guy the same size as Jack Henry he could occasionally use his height more effectively.

Cheers Generalissimo I enjoyed that - re: the bolded, totally agree, O'Connor always puts his head over the ball when it's his turn, and hes prepared to absorb tackles to allow the team to re-set. Solid player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back