List Mgmt. The next generation of talent (2023-2030 onwards)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many good points mentioned by several posters and in regards to retirements staggered incrementally, it still may work out quite well for us, plus we have the 'big upside' of when that inevitably happens of having heaps of salary cap space to which I'm sure overtime the club will utilise wisely to fill the gaps. HUGE YEAR for ALL players between the ages of 19 years to 25 years, probably more-so than I can recall in recent years. By seasons end as long as we don't have a wretched run of injuries, particularly to the 19 year to 25 year age group we should have a very clear understanding at where our future lies.

Anyway, on the footy, I'd say our two biggest needs are pretty obvious.

We need one more elite midfield prospect, either traded in, or drafted early, with the other being a key forward, with the same principle.

Cadman & Smith appear the obvious names right now, and that would do us nicely, but I'm not counting on it this far out.

Backline looks really good. COS, SDK & Jack Henry as young key defenders would only be rivalled by GWS with Taylor & Buckley, so we're doing really well there.

We probably need to invest in a small defender, or pacey half back depending on Humphries & Mullins development, but it's an area that usually pretty easy to find, and we've got a good track record with these players.

The core 4 through the midfield right now appear to be Bruhn, Clark, Holmes & Knevitt, which is a very solid emerging group.

Bowes is the unknown who could be anything at this stage, and I do like him, but wouldn't be betting on it.

Is it the best in the game? No...but it's nothing to sneeze at either, with a clear investment in that group with both trade and draft collateral.

A Jagga Smith, Bailey Smith or Syd Draper/Finn O'Sullivan (if it really falls apart next year) would help complete that group, and elevate them from mid-table to the Fremantle, Hawthorn & Port category of elite developing midfields.

I really like Clohesy, Willis, Stevens and so on, and could definitely see them 'making it', but they're less of a 'sure thing' than the aforementioned 4 for mine.

Up forward, it's really just one player that we're lacking, and that's an elite key forward prospect.

I'm a huge advocate for Neale, and believe he has a big future with us, but IMO he's better suited to the second key forward role, in the mold of Rory Lobb.

FWIW, I could see Mitch Edwards being developed similarly, and partnered with Conway we're very settled for long term rucks as well.

It's a similar story with Ollie Henry, who's quietly the best young medium forward going around.

I love him, and think he's got superstar potential, but more in the mold of a Jack Gunston than Tom Hawkins.

Close, Stengle, Miers and now Mannagh are all young enough to be around for our next tilt, even if we are to go down a more 'traditional rebuild' route, so we're well stocked for smalls as well.

It's really just one player, and that's someone like Cadman to replace Hawkins, or we'll take one in the next draft or two if he's not available.

That's the difference for us. We're really only one player away in both the forward line and midfield...but admittedly, those are the hardest to acquire.

Guys, you're both really good posters and are valued around here.

Not saying we can't have spats, as I've had a few myself...but it's pointless and just continues the pessimism and walking on eggshells mentality that we've got around here.

I don't know about the history between you guys, but you've both been exceptionally polite and considerate in my dealings with you both, so I don't know what's going on here.

It's a tough time of year with no footy, but I'm with Shadow. If we can't discuss hypotheticals, then we might as well all pack up and get off this site. It's quite literally 90% of the content on here.

Grab yourselves a cold one, and take a deep breath, none of this rubbish is ever worth anyone's time, and I know for a fact that you're both very good posters/people, and above things like this.

Have a good night gents, cheers.

There's also a very useful function on this site called 'ignore'.

There's also a very useful function on this site called 'ignore'.
I understand that, and have used it.

However, I do value both Shadow's & GC26's contribution, and as I said, they've both been great in my dealings with them.

There are some posters that I ignore, but they aren't in that category. Both good people in my dealings with them, and certainly aren't part of the problems we run into on this board.

Might just be me, but the 'ignore' button is when you genuinely never bother to read that posters contribution, and the aforementioned posters are far from in that category IMO.

However, I do value both Shadow's & GC26's contribution, and as I said, they've both been great in my dealings with them.

There are some posters that I ignore, but they aren't in that category. Both good people in my dealings with them, and certainly aren't part of the problems we run into on this board.

Might just be me, but the 'ignore' button is when you genuinely never bother to read that posters contribution, and the aforementioned posters are far from in that category IMO.

I agree.....it was a suggestion in the vein that sometimes two posters just aren't going to get along, and the 'ignore' function can be employed to avoid the derailments.

What's the knock on Neale? Before he signed a contract extension a lot here were worried about the prospect of him heading back to wa. 12 months ago a lot of people on here were optimistic what he could produce while Hawk was out for the first month. All of a sudden he does his ankle is one of the worst KP talents in the league?

Personally I am still optimistic of him having a solid career. Is he going to kick 60+ goals every season probably not. But I think it is feasible he can become a Lobb/Mihocek/Finlayson ect type who gets you 30-45 goals a season. He is tall, athletic and a really good set shot. There is a lot to work with. Plus you can't fault his VFL form. He has managed to kick bags of 4 or 5 consistently with some of the worst midfields ive seen with all our injuries.

I understand some of us are disappointed with his AFL games but like at the same time very rarely does a KP player look at all comfortable early in their career. Even JUH a few years ago and Cadman this year struggled to find their feet.

Next year I think it is well possible he contends for the VFL leading goal kicker considering our VFL team looks pretty stacked next year. If he did that it would be hard to argue that he deserves to fill Hawks place once he retires.

He did a Pod with bodymajic a few weeks ago. I highly recomend you give it a watch on youtube. Neale seriously has a good head on his shoulders for his age.

Have a feeling we might try the same thing with Edwards and try to develop him into a KPF. Like Neale he has all the traits to become a top line forward. Little know he had an 80% set shot accuracy this year.

GO Cats!
I agree. I am optimistic. We really just need him to string together a dozen of so solid VFL games so he can develop

It's a tricky one because some posters only need to be put on ignore for hysterics in specific threads (Cataholic incessantly needled me in GameDay threads for a time and then it popped up everywhere...it's been more peaceful since they made "the list"). Most other people you can disagree with and not be on amazing terms but be respectful enough and move forward. I know I overstepped a line with Shadow89 once and regretted it, but we chat footy just fine now. Sometimes two posters will just never get along and for the good of the forum shouldn't converse. Thankfully we don't see much of that here.

ANYWAY: side rant is I think it's sad in itself to accuse anyone of being sad for discussing anything footy related on a footy forum. Whether they offer sound bites or do hundred hour research projects to write out a thesis...leave people be? It's often very interesting stuff and if it isn't, no one will reply.

I like the topic. Yes it's hypothetical and things will change. It's still a good place to speculate on youngsters and track their progression in the meantime. Most club forums will have a thread like this and rightly so.

I tried that, doesn't seem to really be stopping anything. Just gonna get the mods involved now as it's derailed now and I think everyone just wants to move on.

It's much better to be discussing footy, and as you pointed out, we have an interesting watch on our hands over the next few years.

cats_09 dazbroncos this thread is completely derailed now. Can you please delete all of mine and geelong_crazy26's posts, along with any other posts concerning this non-relevant BS so we can all move on.

Last edited:
Fellas I haven't commented on Big Footy for some time until very recently on this thread and 'quarter reading' the last few posts just wasn't pleasant reading and I'm not interested in who is wrong, right or in denial. Fellas we are ALL avid Geelong supporters, let's just try to settle differences and be supportive of each other, it's just a better way to live our lives, cheers Richard and GO CATS !!!

Thread locked - it's 12:30am, it's the first time I've checked in since Friday and I'm seriously too exhausted to make any decisions on things at this time, hence being locked

A couple of things to note:
- it's the off-season and we know people get bored & testy. We do allow an extended leash during this time, but maybe we need to reconsider that IF people can't play nice and actually act like adults

- we're also approaching Xmas and this can be a tough time of the year for people. So check the attitudes at the door, and if the only reason for posting is to one-up another then best you move one

We don't all need to get along, and we know that won't ever happen. BUT we can all actually act like adults & cordial to each other. IF you can't do that, then make use of a feature like the ignore function

Oh FFS
a little taxiway reading whilst taking off from Vegas.. and I see this
Nit cleaning it up now as I’ll have ms flight attendant all over me… so it’s staying locked till I land
My eyes hurt

Go Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back