2023 AFL Awards Season...

Remove this Banner Ad

Dustin Martin???
Yeah. That one truly baffles. Tarranto, who will win Richmond's B&F in a canter and probably top Richmond votes in the Brownlow, is snubbed for AA and Dusty is named in the extended squad? If he gets selected that will be a joke (Robbo named him in his AA team)

Yeah. That one truly baffles. Tarranto, who will win Richmond's B&F in a canter and probably top Richmond votes in the Brownlow, is snubbed for AA and Dusty is named in the extended squad? If he gets selected that will be a joke (Robbo named him in his AA team)

I'm not so sure he will. His form definitely eased in the latter third and Martin got stronger.

Miers ONLY had 41 goal assist but it should have been a lot higher considering there were some bad misses in games as well. Really should have been up closer to 48-50.
And kicks 7 goals.
Next highest goal assists in the AFL were Petracca (Dees) and Adams (Pies) on 25.
Then Dangerfield in 4th on 24.
All midfielders.

The next best genuine forward on 23 is Toby Greene. And he doesn't get up the field like Miers.

Miers should have been a lock for the HF spot. Instead they will probably put Petracca there or Cameron just to fit trhem in the squad.

At least for once this year with JDaicos on one wing, the AA team will have genuine wingers and not shoehorned mids.

Miers ONLY had 41 goal assist but it should have been a lot higher considering there were some bad misses in games as well. Really should have been up closer to 48-50.
And kicks 7 goals.
Next highest goal assists in the AFL were Petracca (Dees) and Adams (Pies) on 25.
All midfielders.

The next best genuine forward on 23 is Toby Greene. And he doesn't get up the field like Miers.

Miers should have been a lock for the HF spot. Instead they will probably put Petracca there or Cameron just to fit trhem in the squad.

At least for once this year with JDaicos on one wing, the AA team will have genuine wingers and not shoehorned mids.

I'm possibly forgetting an obvious pair, but have brothers ever been selected in the same AA team before? Danihers??

Dusty and Cripps are the biggest ‘picked on name alone’ selections I’ve ever seen. Neither player was in the best 100 players in the comp this year let alone beat 44.

Miers, Sam Taylor, Tim Taranto all desperately unlucky.

Dusty's numbers from round 13 onwards were pretty elite:

Kicks - 16.6
Handballs - 11.1
Disposals - 27.7
Marks - 4.8
Goals - 1.3
Inside 50s - 6.0
Clearances - 4.0

And kicks 7 goals.
All midfielders.

I think it was Ling who recently said something like "would you rather Miers' 41 goal assists and 7 goals, or Breust's 47 goals and 6 assists? If you look at it this way, of course Miers doesn't get a gig:

1693292415937.png

I think it was Ling who recently said something like "would you rather Miers' 41 goal assists and 7 goals, or Breust's 47 goals and 6 assists? If you look at it this way, of course Miers doesn't get a gig:

View attachment 1789440

Miers should not be competing with Breust for a spot though. As others have pointed out, Miers does not play like a traditional small forward.

This season Miers averaged 19 disposals (9 games over 20 disposals) and 4.3 inside 50s. Breust averaged 10 disposals (highest possession tally was 16) and less than 2 inside 50s.

Stengle is our inside 50 guy, Miers runs the wings and gets to stoppages across the ground.

The same way it took way too long for Blicavs to be recognised by AA selectors (is he a midfielder, a defender, a ruckman??), Miers' role is unique in the comp and despite having a brilliant season, he is being compared with players like Charlie Cameron and Luke Breust who rarely leave the forward 50.

View attachment 1789440
Miers had like an extra 50 score involvements outside of his scoring shots/assists though so if you estimate Geelong's forward targets having 50% accuracy there's an extra 20-25 goals at least, which would put him well past Breust.

View attachment 1789440

Very interesting table.

People can twist themselves (and statistics) in knots all they like, but someone who only kicks 7 goals does not deserve a spot in an AA forward line. The game hasn't changed that much that goals are suddenly completely disregarded to suit your selection. They're still the number one metric for forwards.

Toby Greene kicked 60 goals. That's elite. He only averaged 1 possession less than Miers while doing it. Papley as much as I hate him averaged nearly 15 touches a game and still managed 30 more goals.

I'd be curious to know if Miers was such a lock, who he's keeping out from other teams?

View attachment 1789440
Breust also never left the f50, he was a key forward mainly for Hawthorn he was not a HFF that was linking up in the play up the field.

Miers i50s: 98
Bruest i50s: 37

Miers disposals: 438
Bruest disposals: 225

Miers marks i50: 16
Bruest marks i50: 46

Miers bounces: 17

Bruest bounces: 1

Miers score involvements: 165
Bruest score involvements: 108

Could keep going, but all the stats point to Miers as a half forward who works up the field and not a small forward. Bruest played at times like a KPF for the Hawks and other times a medium forward, and wasn't good enough at either to be AA (not better than Cameron or Elliott as a small forward, not better than Greene as a medium forward, and doesn't tick the stat boxes for HFF in AFL systems).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very interesting table.

People can twist themselves (and statistics) in knots all they like, but someone who only kicks 7 goals does not deserve a spot in an AA forward line. The game hasn't changed that much that goals are suddenly completely disregarded to suit your selection. They're still the number one metric for forwards.

Toby Greene kicked 60 goals. That's elite. He only averaged 1 possession less than Miers while doing it. Papley as much as I hate him averaged nearly 15 touches a game and still managed 30 more goals.

I'd be curious to know if Miers was such a lock, who he's keeping out from other teams?
I knew that this is why he wouldn't make the 22, and thought he'd need another dozen goals no matter how many assists he had to contend for that.

For the squad of 44 though he was pretty unlucky. 100 plus goal contributions (goals, assists and non-scoring shot score involvements x 50% accuracy) is elite by anyone's measure.

The overall table of goal involvements (best estimate) for 2023 using this method:

1. Curnow: 121 goals
2. Walker: 115 goals
3. Greene: 112 goals
4. Petracca: 108 goals
5. Bontempelli: 101 goals
6. Langford: 100 goals
7. Miers: 100 goals
8. Coniglio: 94 goals
9. J.Cameron: 93 goals
10. Hawkins: 92 goals

11. Larkey: 91 goals
Bolton: 91 goals
13. C.Cameron: 90 goals
14. Naughton: 89 goals
Rozee: 89 goals
Butters: 89 goals
15. Papley: 86 goals
16. D.Martin: 86 goals
Adams: 86 goals
17. Daniher: 85 goals
18. Lukosius: 83 goals
Keays: 83 goals
20. Dawson: 82 goals

21. Hipwood: 81 goals
22. Gulden: 80 goals
Anderson: 80 goals
N.Martin: 80 goals
Merrett: 80 goals
Newcombe: 80 goals
27. Allen: 79 goals
Shultz: 79 goals
Brayshaw: 79 goals
30. Pendlebury: 78 goals
T.Kelly: 78 goals

32. Elliot: 77 goals
Ugle-Hagan: 77 goals
Heeney: 77 goals
N.Daicos: 77 goals
36. Rankine: 76 goals
Finlayson: 76 goals
Laird: 76 goals
McLuggage: 76 goals
Moore: 76 goals
Green: 76 goals

42. Close: 75 goals
Bailey: 75 goals
44. Pickett: 74 goals
Miochek: 74 goals
Warner: 74 goals
47. Rayner: 73 goals
De Goey: 73 goals
Higgins: 73 goals
Taranto: 73 goals

51. Serong: 72 goals
J.Daicos: 72 goals
Parker: 72 goals
54. Fogarty: 71 goals
55. Neale: 71 goals
56: Treloar: 70 goals
English: 70 goals
O.Henry: 69 goals
Walters: 69 goals
Breust: 69 goals

I understand why Hawkins and Cameron didn't get in with form dips and injuries late in the season, and greater competition for spots as far as tall forwards.

But Miers being top 6 in the league and not making the squad is exceptionally unlucky. Breust was involved in ~30 goals less but because he was the last link in the chain he got rewarded. But then Martin made it in on score involvements as his goal/assist tally was modest.

Bolton was pretty unlucky too.

So take your pick for the under 100 goal involvement players on this list unless they were truly exceptional in other areas (e.g coaches votes, disposals, clearances, rebound 50s, intercepts). There's at least a handful that stand out.

View attachment 1789440
If you swap Breust’s name out for Ollie Henry and I ask you whose had the better year based on the above numbers, Miers v O Henry?
Would you still come to the same conclusion as you did with Miers v Breust?

DAICOS AWARD 2023 AFL COACHES ASSOCIATION BEST YOUNG PLAYER​

Wednesday, Aug 30, 2023

Collingwood young superstar Nick Daicos has claimed the 2023 AFL Coaches Association Best Young Player Award.

The Magpies’ midfield maestro polled 129 votes, ahead of Essendon’s Nick Martin (50 votes) and Port Adelaide’s Jason Horne Francis (34 votes).

Daicos, drafted to Collingwood as a father-son pick as the son of legendary Magpie Peter, made his AFL debut in Round 1 of the 2022 AFL season and has enjoyed back-to-back phenomenal seasons to begin his career.

Daicos’ performances throughout 2022 were considered by expert football pundits as some of the best they had seen from a first year player, with those efforts seeing him take home the 2022 Rising Star Award.

The 2023 season kicked off where 2022 ended and Daicos continued to deliver multiple best on ground performances, polling 99 votes in the 2023 AFL Coaches Association Champion Player Award and becoming a Brownlow Medal favourite before an injury in Round 21 ruled him out for the remainder of the Home and Away season.

Craig McRae praised his young star in receiving this recognition from the coaches.

“The whole Club is very proud of all our emerging players including Nick who has continued to drive incredible standards within our four walls,” said McRae.

“It is great to see him recognised through this award and we look forward to continuing to support his development as a footballer and a person.”

AFL Coaches Association CEO Alistair Nicholson congratulated Daicos on his first two seasons in the AFL which has saw him awarded the 2023 AFL Coaches Association Best Young Player.

“What an unbelievably impressive first two seasons for Nick. Polling 129 votes to take out the Best Young Player and almost winning the 2023 AFL Coaches Association Champion Player in his second season,” said Nicholson.

“Nick should be proud of himself, as should the Collingwood coaching group for the role they play. What a career ahead we will have the privilege of watching.”

The AFL Coaches Association Best Young Player Award is presented in recognition of the player based on performances in his first two seasons of AFL Football and is determined by the weekly votes of the AFL coaches.

Previous winners: AFLCA BEST YOUNG PLAYER AWARD

Butters, 22, polled coaches votes in 16 of the 23 matches this season to finish with 109 votes, earning maximum coaches votes in seven rounds.

The Power star beat Western Bulldogs captain Marcus Bontempelli (102 votes) and an injured Nick Daicos (99 votes) to take home the coveted award.

He won't get in the AA team, but deserves being in the extended squad ahead of TT. His disposals and impact on games are quality.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back