Unofficial Preview RD 13 - Bye week and 2023 season assessment thus far.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sure many will disagree with this, but large numbers of injuries are rarely just a random occurrence. There are always factors that influence injury rate and I believe a lack of fitness is one of them.

I don't know if a lack of fitness can be attributed to many if any of our injuries to key players this year.

J Henry - reoccurance of foot injury (third time he's had surgery in past two seasons from memory)
Stengle - broken arm from dumping tackle
SDK - concussion, followed by facial fractures from elbow to the nose
Stanley - fractured eye socket, contact injury
Kolodjashnij - prolonged concussion symptoms

Danger is at the age now where minor soft tissue injuries will likely be an annual occurance and Guthrie's turf toe just sounds like bad luck.

Gryan miers has been great. But all australian???

Fair to good chance to make the squad but can’t see him getting in ahead of Toby Green, Charlie Cameron and Rankin, among others. Hell…even Stengle would be a chance if he stays fit and gets back to 2022 form in the back half of the season. Obviously he’s in the conversation because of AFL #1 in goal assists, and his stellar link-up play and field kicking (especially i50). But he’s simply not kicking enough goals as a HF to get AA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't realise we had the bye this week. Long weekend and no footy, that sucks.

Normally id agree with you 100% - but this week im cheering for the bye - like if Geel had lost last week it was nearly gonzo for the season - plus this week i reckon its a great assortment of neutral games ( starting tonight ) - theres 5 games- very appealing - toss of the coin games - and they will have a big bearing on the ladder

So Geel at 6-6 can just assess the situation after the results of those games - and hopefully in the 2nd half of the year - come home like Phar Lap

It's not really a theory... more just me running through things that could happen for each direction we go when/if we get to a fork in the road moment.

If we have a win next week we might get rolling and never even get to that moment.
Oh sure but it was made clear that these are things to do now, because a flag is unlikely. Not what to do when the season is actually over.

Richmond in their flag years were:

7 wins after 12 games
7 wins after 13 games
6 wins after 11 games (shortened 18 game season)

They had some injury issues but nowhere near what we've had to deal with. Yet we're still in that range with 6 genuine home games to go.

Of course there is a chance the season doesn't recover, or we are in the 87.5% of finalists who won't salute. I highly doubt that would be harming our 2024 season or player motivation. So it's a hypothetical in futility.

For me the litmus test is next week.. Knock over port adelaide in adelaide and we are well and truly back.

Get pantsed and we are probably fairly sitting where we deserve...

If we are the genuine team of 2023, with our backs to the rope... We should be able to dig deep and get the points.

We need to treat this game like an elimination final, and go bizerk. This is the sort of game a team like the 13-15 hawks would have found a way to win after a poor start to the year. We need to find a way as well.

Come home from adelaide 7-6 with no injuries and take down melbourne at skilled... 8-6.... For me that will set us up.

We need the scalp of port adelaide

For me the litmus test is next week.. Knock over port adelaide in adelaide and we are well and truly back.

If we are the genuine team of 2023, with our backs to the rope... We should be able to dig deep and get the points.

We need to treat this game like an elimination final, and go bizerk. This is the sort of game a team like the 13-15 hawks would have found a way to win after a poor start to the year. We need to find a way as well.

Come home from adelaide 7-6 with no injuries and take down melbourne at skilled... 8-6.... For me that will set us up.

Agreed with this. The only issues are it being Danger, Duncan and Holmes first games back if they are even all available. If they hit the ground running like Rohan did I think we'll win. Beating Port, especially if Melbourne lose to Collingwood this weekend, presents vs Melbourne at home the following week as another final. 8-6 would put us right where all of those Richmond flag sides were after 14 rounds, so not out of it at all. If we lose the Port game we need to beat Brisbane on the road or Collingwood at the G as a bare minimum. But these assignments would be on the cards come finals anyway.

Personally, for me the biggest misstep this season was how much liberty the players took in the off-season.

In defense of the players, the road to the Premiership was long and brutal. The fact that they finally got there - despite all of the hardship - is emblematic of a good footy club, so perhaps their workrate over the summer can be forgiven.

However, I do believe that the team is reaping what they've sown - coming back unfit has probably caused a host of injuries. Either through exertion, or through a lack of physical awareness and capability which just leads to injuries on a footy field when you're not on the top of your game.

I'm sure many will disagree with this, but large numbers of injuries are rarely just a random occurrence. There are always factors that influence injury rate and I believe a lack of fitness is one of them.

Personally, I'd prefer the hardness and hunger of the teams who go back to back or win a three-peat.

All is not lost - but this season probably wont result in a grand slam for us, which is pretty disappointing given how good this team has been.
Great post.
We know that CS allows players liberties during and off-season, as long as they remain loyal to the club ethos, but a premiership win, as you said, was long, brutal, and winding road.
And Selwood declaring the group he just departed as virtually unbeatable...who knows what their priorities and beliefs were over summer.

We do, but I rate them as likely premiers, just ahead of Pies at present. That will be the ultimate test. Their form and potency is like early Cats 07.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t wait for Thursday. Put the thread up faarken!!

Our first final. Port haven’t played much tbh gotten beat handsomely by Pies, beaten who they should have and they’re ‘big’ wins haven’t been by much. Felt our season really kicked off when we best them last year.

12 day break versus 6. They’ll either be ripe for a loss or coming off a loss to a dogs side that a depleted Geelong side just beat.

Should we get a few back and go he’ll for leather from the start this will again be the game that sets us up for a flag tilt.

Not concerned with our draw, if we’re good enough it’ll mean not only 4 points the win but denying those above and around us.

Really like to think Scott and co. might come up with some left field ideas to keep us ahead of the curve -

Mullin to the midfield perhaps in a tagging role where better players will take him to the ball

Stewart thrown into the middle of the ground more often, happy to roll the dice of Sav back and Henry/Kolo as an interceptor

SDK as first ruck then dropping back to a defensive role

Said before but winning the flag last year takes the stress out as a supporter, no one will want to come up against us if we get it together again when the whips start cracking.

4-6 is a place where it can happen.

Aa has been mentioned, even with our potential inclusions, this will be an incredibly hard ask. To expect Danger, Duncan and Holmes to come straight in and play at the top of their form is surely wishful thinking. Port's midfield is looking very dangerous and dynamic, and we'll still be bringing a banana to a knife fight with Ceglar in the ruck.

I actually believe we'll still be alive if we can go 1-1 over the next two matches, provided we don't leak massive percentage in any possible loss. But if we can't beat one of Port or the Dees, I really believe we are gone (in terms of winning the flag, at least), despite what all the 'mathematical possibilities' will still supposedly tell you.

Last edited:
We do, but I rate them as likely premiers, just ahead of Pies at present. That will be the ultimate test. Their form and potency is like early Cats 07.

Everyone is entitled to their view - but that is just plain nonsense

One - you rate them ahead of Collingwood - i dont know what you actually base that on - they played each other earlier in the season at the MCG and Collingwood won by plus 70 pts

Not being arrogant - but the comp overall is pretty weak - and Port Adelaide aernt much chop at all - even their 2nd half against Haw last week they got comfortably out scored

To say they resemble the Cats 2007 form is just total nonsense - you love talking up every opposition side under the sun - its ok to talk up really good teams - but not average ones

Port Adelaide to me need another 2-3 really good - top class players to win a premiership - but the bottom line is - they havent got them on their list - and if they somehow remain high up up in the ladder - then it is going to end in tears for their supporters come September

If Dangerfield is in the Geel side then the Cats i think would have a fair degree of confidence of winning that game

The ultimate test yet Essendon, Sydney, Melbourne, St Kilda and Richmond ran them within 10 points, Bulldogs 14 points. They're good but gettable.

By comparison by round 12 2007, Geelong had beaten Richmond by 160 points, reigning premiers Eagles by 40 points, Port by 10 goals in Adelaide, St Kilda by 10 goals, 2006 top 2 side Adelaide in Adelaide and Brisbane by 50 points.

Everyone is entitled to their view - but that is just plain nonsense

One - you rate them ahead of Collingwood - i dont know what you actually base that on - they played each other earlier in the season at the MCG and Collingwood won by plus 70 pts

Not being arrogant - but the comp overall is pretty weak - and Port Adelaide aernt much chop at all - even their 2nd half against Haw last week they got comfortably out scored

To say they resemble the Cats 2007 form is just total nonsense - you love talking up every opposition side under the sun - its ok to talk up really good teams - but not average ones

Port Adelaide to me need another 2-3 really good - top class players to win a premiership - but the bottom line is - they havent got them on their list - and if they somehow remain high up up in the ladder - then it is going to end in tears for their supporters come September

If Dangerfield is in the Geel side then the Cats i think would have a fair degree of confidence of winning that game
Maybe I want them to win it (if we can't), not that I don't rate the Pies. As said, a Pies- Port GF would please me, and Lions /Demons not far off, but it's all speculation. We may well push it all the way, but too many IF's for me

Apparently Sean Darcy and Darcy Parish are in the sights of Geelong. We would have to fork out a big chunk of our salary cap on them. Parish is the ball magnet we don't have. Darcy at 24 is the dominating ruckman we haven't had since Brad Ottens. I guess we'd be counting on money being freed up when Tomahawk, Dangerfield, Duncan and Co hang up their boots.

Animated GIF

Well maybe not so sober

Fair to good chance to make the squad but can’t see him getting in ahead of Toby Green, Charlie Cameron and Rankin, among others. Hell…even Stengle would be a chance if he stays fit and gets back to 2022 form in the back half of the season. Obviously he’s in the conversation because of AFL #1 in goal assists, and his stellar link-up play and field kicking (especially i50). But he’s simply not kicking enough goals as a HF to get AA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If he had tatts and was an a-hole might help. But yes you are correct

Great post.
We know that CS allows players liberties during and off-season, as long as they remain loyal to the club ethos, but a premiership win, as you said, was long, brutal, and winding road.
And Selwood declaring the group he just departed as virtually unbeatable...who knows what their priorities and beliefs were over summer.
Yeah but hangon a minute. A lot of those injuries were impact not stress injuries.

Maybe I want them to win it (if we can't), not that I don't rate the Pies. As said, a Pies- Port GF would please me, and Lions /Demons not far off, but it's all speculation. We may well push it all the way, but too many IF's for me
Would hate it to be the Lions. Would be a blow out towards any Victorian team that faces them.

If we can't win it I'm on the Port train as well, but really just want the best game possible. You never know, but that doesn't look like being the Lions at present.

Still reckon we're a huge shout, but the next two weeks we'll tell us a lot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back