Season on the line next week

Remove this Banner Ad

joe444

Club Legend
Jul 9, 2006
Franga
AFL Club
Geelong
5-5 is too hard to come back from, I think.

We're good enough to win the whole thing when the senior troops come back, but this - to me - is the hurdle that must be cleared.

I expect to see the side play with that realisation next week. Suddenly, Bruhn is our midfield leader.

Just got to win it.

We're good enough to win the whole thing when the senior troops come back, but this - to me - is the hurdle that must be cleared.

I expect to see the side play with that realisation next week. Suddenly, Bruhn is our midfield leader.

Just got to win it.

We can come back from 5-5 purely because we have an easier draw after the bye with home games and players back but the more wins we can get before the bye the more the chance of top 4 stays in play. So its a crucial game.

Just got to win it.
Come back from what exactly??
Top 2 ?? Yeah i think u r right.
Top 4?? Mmm makes it tuff.
5-6th ?? nah we are in prime position.
7-8th ?? LockItInEddy.

Last part of the season will dictate how we enter September.
Like every season. Injuries will dictate how far we travel. 2022 we were kissed on the Richard TBH.

Well it's definitely not season on the line in terms of top eight, but I'm strongly of the view that you need to finish top four to have a real shot at the premiership, and unfortunately in that narrow sense I would agree that our top four prospects - and hence our premiership prospects - hinge on whether we can win this game.

Usually, the weakest record you can afford to have in the home and away season to still finish in the top four is 15-7. And there have been multiple years over the last decade in which 15-7 or even 16-6 hasn't been enough for top four. In 2016 Adelaide and West Coast finished 5th and 6th respectively with a 16-6 record. Even taking into account the fact that the season now has an extra game, we would still have very little margin for error. I just can't see any world in which we would manage to go through the rest of the season with only 1 or 2 losses post-Freo given our ongoing injury list and the likelihood of the currently injured players taking a while to get back to their best once they return.

So yeah, if it's not season on the line, it's as close to that as it's possible to get.

We need collingwood, Melbourne, and Brisbane to win as many games as possible. Then we just need to be ahead of saints, dogs, power,etc. We have all those teams twice so we can get some 8-point game victories there. We have all 3 at home so 3 wins and if we can go 2-1 with the away games even better.

Thats 4th with neutral game against Collingwood at the G most likely.

Just got to win it.
And here was me thinking there were still 14 rounds to play.

And here was me thinking there were still 14 rounds to play.
We were 5-4 last year - Melbourne were 9-0 - and we finished two games clear on top.

A lot of the season still to play out as you say.

We were 5-4 last year - Melbourne were 9-0 - and we finished two games clear on top.

That was a freak occurrence. Highly unlikely to happen again, especially given that our injury situation is far more perilous this year than last year, and we also have a tougher run home this year than we did last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was a freak occurrence. Highly unlikely to happen again, especially given that our injury situation is far more perilous this year than last year, and we also have a tougher run home this year than we did last year.
All short term injuries

Our incredible injury list will not allow that again. Luck with injuries is a key determinant in premierships, and players like Henry, Menegola with no preseasons, will take long times to attain the necessary match fitness once they do come back.
Trying to be realistic here.
Many signs are pointing to this just not being our year, and that is fine by me after the glory of 22.
I estimate if we make the 8, it'll be 7th or 8th.
Teams like Port and Saints and Dogs are in our position with way fewer injuries now.
Lions, Pies, Demons are locks for top 3.

All short term injuries
Not really. 4 weeks is not that short. Technically, you can call it a form of management, but we need wins, and Freo away, and Doggies anywhere are big challenges

Our incredible injury list will not allow that again. Luck with injuries is a key determinant in premierships, and players like Henry, Menegola with no preseasons, will take long times to attain the necessary match fitness once they do come back.
Trying to be realistic here.
Many signs are pointing to this just not being our year, and that is fine by me after the glory of 22.
I estimate if we make the 8, it'll be 7th or 8th.
Teams like Port and Saints and Dogs are in our position with way fewer injuries now.
Lions, Pies, Demons are locks for top 3.
You really are the ultimate pessimist.

Not really. 4 weeks is not that short. Technically, you can call it a form of management, but we need wins, and Freo away, and Doggies anywhere are big challenges
Stengle, SDK and Close back next week.

Rohan, Bowes, Guthrie and Henry the week after.

Dangerfield for GWS.

Stanley after the bye.

Short term.

Stengle, SDK and Close back next week.

Rohan, Bowes, Guthrie and Henry the week after.

Dangerfield for GWS.

Stanley after the bye.

Short term.
Sounds good.
Let's see how that goes.
They have to get touch again.

We can make the 8. Likely will
I don't see us as top 4.
Call that pessimism if you like
Soak your hat in cider, sit back and enjoy. 😂

Soak your hat in cider, sit back and enjoy. 😂
Believe me, still loving what we achieved last year- this season interrupts that joy. I know, life goes on, but the near perfect season and execution will likely never be repeated by Geelong in my lifetime.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back