Prediction How will the Geelong Cats fare in season 2024?

Where will Geelong finish in 2024

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I was wondering how supporters see Geelong's chances in 2024 after a Premiership followed by a failure to make the finals.
Many in the media have predicted the Cats to fall. Do you expect the Cats to rise or fall and why do you hold that opinion?
But the Cats miss out again
Injuries were nasty for them in 2023 and they never really got their best team out on the park properly, but there’s definitely the feeling the Cats are receding from premiership contention after finally scaling the mountain with their current list.

Fairytale finally realised; Mega 10-year play for gun — 24 bold AFL predictions for 2024

Last edited by a moderator:
If we stay injury free we'll play finals imo, though we also need the non-injured players who dropped off last year to find their 2022 form again if we are any chance of winning the flag.

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I also think Danger was the wrong choice for captain and it's hurt us on field. It should have been Tom Stewart. I was shocked last season the amount of times our boys just stood there and expected someone else to collect the footy. I'd not seen our players act that soft in well over a decade and then some. They'd never have done that when Selwood was playing.

Prelim at minimum, the competition right now is a disgrace. Would be disappointed if we couldn't muster at least that health/injury permitting.

Top 8 is probable but no chance of a flag with our midfield. Should be fun to watch some new faces though.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we stay injury free we'll play finals imo, though we also need the non-injured players who dropped off last year to find their 2022 form again if we are any chance of winning the flag.

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I also think Danger was the wrong choice for captain and it's hurt us on field. It should have been Tom Stewart. I was shocked last season the amount of times our boys just stood there and expected someone else to collect the footy. I'd not seen our players act that soft in well over a decade and then some. They'd never have done that when Selwood was playing.
Maybe. But there were a few who rested on their laurels. Maybe (?) Selwood could have marshalled the troops a bit more. We’ll never know. Not sure Stewart has the clout that Selwood did, but hard act to follow.
No excuses this year...

I'm finding it hard to temper my expectations - which was, to be fair, happening last year as well, and if I had have known a few more things than I did this time last year, I would have reassessed.

The importance of the next rung is pivotal to the side's success next year. If Conway, Clark, Knevitt, Oisin, Dempsey etc can all play games and a few of them can make their way into being consistent best 22 players, without a huge decline in our already established players like Hawkins, Duncan, Dange etc, then we will be top 8 for sure, potentially top 4. A lot of the mail coming out of Kardinia Park is that we will be back to playing quick, ruthless footy. It require a healthy list, and a buoyant and confident squad.

We can play finals and go deep. If we stay healthy, we can make the top four. If we get things right with our development and maintain the form of our veterans... who knows?

But we know every side is saying this right now, outside of WCE, Kangas, Hawthorn...

Firstly, who knows? Anything can happen in a season, and sometimes, you can't predict it.

There are a lot of ifs, buts, and maybes here.

If we have a good injury run. If certain younger players can take the next step in their development and emerge as A-grade players (which we badly need in our midfield). Can the older guys put a solid and consistent year together, or are they premiership content, and the fire in their belly is no longer there? Can the coaching group make the most of the players we have and use them in a game plan that lets them play to their strengths this year? Will they gel as a team this year, or will some off-field issues cause tensions in the group?

On paper, I'd have the Cats in the top 8, but who knows what will happen.

Last edited:
Clark knevitt Conway…. 3 big huge inclusions if they come on.

Tuohy bews I think may be making way at a minimum
Tuohy and Bews have spent most of their careers in defence.
Clark, Knevitt and Conway look to be midfield/ruck players at this early stage.
The don't look like the type of replacements suitable for Tuohy and Bews.

Will play finals but not sure we can win the flag with this midfield. Either knevitt and clark need to come on very quickly (long term they will be awesome but im not sure they will dominate straight away) or mannagh needs to smash it out of the park and a couple of the other middle aged mids (see parfitt hardie bowes oconnor etc) need to have very good years to be the bridge between the older and young mids.
I can see why they are trialling stewart in midfield a bit as its clearly our weakest line and hes about our best player but it would be a big risk trying it when hes such an elite defender.
Rucks are an issue too i think stanley is on the decline and conway isnt ready to take over i can see stages where blitz will have to play as the 1st ruck supported by sdk or neale or jeka which isnt ideal.

The fwd line is elite and the backline is good enough to win a flag this year whether we can go all the way is on the midfield. The good news is if collingwood can win with such a weak side anything is possible.

Back