2023 AFL Awards Season...

Remove this Banner Ad

It's that time of year again and with what seems like a dozen plus awards it seems to work with keeping discussion in a centralised location

To start with, here's our nominees for the AFLPA Awards:

Tom Stewart, Gryan Miers, and Mark Blicavs have been recognised by their peers for their outstanding 2023 seasons by being nominated for the AFL Players Most Valuable Player Award.

The winner of the coveted prize will be announced on Wednesday, 30 August.

Other Cats up for nominations are Jhye Clark for Best Year Player, Tom Atkins for the Most Courageous Player Award, and Patrick Dangerfield for the Best Captain Award

Here's the AA squad:

2023 AFL ALL-AUSTRALIAN SQUAD: Oscar Allen, Noah Anderson, Harris Andrews, Nick Blakey, Marcus Bontempelli, Luke Breust, Zak Butters, Charlie Cameron, Stephen Coniglio, Patrick Cripps, Charlie Curnow, Josh Daicos, Nick Daicos, Joe Daniher, Jordan Dawson, Jordan de Goey, Tim English, Tom Green, Toby Greene, Errol Gulden, Daniel Houston, Luke Jackson, Kyle Langford, Nick Larkey, Tom Liberatore, Rowan Marshall, Dustin Martin, Zach Merrett, Darcy Moore, Lachie Neale, Jai Newcombe, Christian Petracca, Isaac Quaynor, Mason Redman, Connor Rozee, Luke Ryan, Caleb Serong, James Sicily, Jack Sinclair, Tom Stewart, Jack Viney, Taylor Walker, Jacob Weitering, Callum Wilkie

Squad members by club​

5 - Collingwood
4 - Brisbane
3 - Carlton, Essendon, Fremantle, GWS, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide, St Kilda, Western Bulldogs
2 - Melbourne, Sydney
1 - Geelong, Gold Coast, North Melbourne, Richmond, West Coast

Adelaide:
Jordan Dawson

Never previously All-Australian

Taylor Walker

Brisbane:
Harris Andrews

2019 and 2020 All-Australian

Charlie Cameron
2019 All-Australian

Joe Daniher
2017 All-Australian

Lachie Neale
2019, 2020 and 2022 All-Australian

Carlton:

Patrick Cripps
2018, 2019 and 2022 All-Australian

Charlie Curnow
2022 All-Australian

Jacob Weitering

Collingwood:

Josh Daicos

Nick Daicos

Jordan de Goey

Darcy Moore
2020 All-Australian

Isaac Quaynor

Essendon:

Kyle Langford

Zach Merrett
2017 and 2021 All-Australian

Mason Redman

Fremantle:

Luke Jackson

Luke Ryan
2020 All-Australian

Caleb Serong

Geelong:

Tom Stewart
2018, 2019, 2021 and 2022 All-Australian

Gold Coast:

Noah Anderson

GWS:

Stephen Coniglio

Tom Green

Toby Greene
2016 and 2021 All-Australian

Hawthorn:

Luke Breust
2014 and 2018 All-Australian

Jai Newcombe

James Sicily

Melbourne:

Christian Petracca
2020, 2021 and 2022 All-Australian

Jack Viney

North Melbourne:

Nick Larkey

Port Adelaide:

Zak Butters

Daniel Houston

Connor Rozee
2022 All-Australian

Richmond:

Dustin Martin
2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 All-Australian

St Kilda:

Rowan Marshall

Jack Sinclair
2022 All-Australian

Callum Wilkie

Sydney:

Rowan Marshall

Jack Sinclair
2022 All-Australian

Callum Wilkie

WCE:

Oscar Allen

Bulldogs:
Marcus Bontempelli

2016, 2019, 2020 and 2021 All-Australian

Tim English

Tom Liberatore

I thought Gryan Miers did enough to be at least named in the squad.

Breust, Martin + Walker 😳😳😳

Tex kicked 76 goals to finish runner up in the Coleman - he could very easily be wearing a blazer in recognition of his season

Tex kicked 76 goals to finish runner up in the Coleman - he could very easily be wearing a blazer in recognition of his season
That’s true, but I can’t stand him 😜
Therefore no AA for him!
Sounds a rational decision to me 😏

A quarter of those goals were against West Coast though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dusty and Cripps are the biggest ‘picked on name alone’ selections I’ve ever seen. Neither player was in the best 100 players in the comp this year let alone beat 44.

Miers, Sam Taylor, Tim Taranto all desperately unlucky.

I did too until I saw he's only kicked 7 goals this season. Which I found really hard to believe to be honest.

But that just isn't enough for any small forward.
I never said he should be selected on the team, but I thought he did enough with all his goal assists to make the squad.

I did too until I saw he's only kicked 7 goals this season. Which I found really hard to believe to be honest.

He was often a link player up the field, would love to see his heat maps because based on what I have seen this year Miers isn't a small forward.

He was often a link player up the field, would love to see his heat maps because based on what I have seen this year Miers isn't a small forward.
Agree with this. I don't think 'small forward' covers what Gryan does. Which may also explain somewhat why he's not in the AA squad: they may struggle to place unique players like him in a list of traditional roles.

Dusty and Cripps are the biggest ‘picked on name alone’ selections I’ve ever seen. Neither player was in the best 100 players in the comp this year let alone beat 44.

Miers, Sam Taylor, Tim Taranto all desperately unlucky.
Every game I saw Dusty play, he was very good. He has missed selection before, and this year deserves it- was not selected in 3 of the last 4 seasons, and this is only a squad

But he hasn't played as a traditional forward pocket. The idea that he's been fulfilling the same role as Charlie Cameron or Luke Breust is absurd.

Miers' role has been that of a gut-running high half forward creator who also runs his opponent into the ground with his elite endurance capacity and plays a key role in our transition as that link man between the arcs. That's why you see him getting so much of the footy on the wing and why he's been regularly gathering 20+ disposals per game.

I'd love to see a heat map for Miers' season and compare it to the stay-at-home small forwards. I feel confident the difference would be stark and highlight the fact that he shouldn't have been competing for a spot in the team against anyone playing the traditional small forward role. Miers should have been picked on the bench to allow for the unique role he's been playing this year, much like Blitz was picked on the bench for the same reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back