Rumour GFC 2023 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, this is making an appearance here also, and probably getting more useful as the season draws to a close and this discussion ramps up

Those who thought we were holding out for 76 & 94 just to get ahead of Port at the end of the draft... they got 73 back in the Duursma / Zerk-Thatcher trade.

I guess they get the last laugh on that one. Unless we bundle our two and trade up to 72! :)

Don’t worry. They won’t know what’s hit them tomorrow when we trade our F6 with GC for pick 71….

Agree. Look with demattia hes been focusing a lot on cricket until this year so theres a lot of growth in him. What i like about him and hall is they both seem to show leadership a lot which is a trait geelong likes. I love stevens for leadership too i just have a slight concern on his athletic ability. In a shallow draft id be focusing on these driven guys who will do everything to make it.

Give me Tholstrup ahead of both of them.

Agree. Look with demattia hes been focusing a lot on cricket until this year so theres a lot of growth in him. What i like about him and hall is they both seem to show leadership a lot which is a trait geelong likes. I love stevens for leadership too i just have a slight concern on his athletic ability. In a shallow draft id be focusing on these driven guys who will do everything to make it.

I’m certainly not convinced Stevens will make it but he’ll be available a lot later than DeMattia so less risk.

Haven’t seen much of Hall. Just a few clips so can’t really judge. Looks ok.

I'd run with what we have in regards to ruckman if we have no injuries in the pre season and if we happen to lose one in the first half of the season we can always pick one in the mid season draft.

I think the problem now is Blicavs is now our back up KPD and back up ruck. If SDK or Stanley/Conway go down we’re in a bad spot. So we ideally need to add a readymade ruck or KPD, or both.

Does Stevens still slide despite his good 2km time at the combine?

I think he does but are probably wrong. He can win his own footy and shown even at VFL level he is a ball winner. There is however a big step up to AFL and his lack of acceleration I think hurts him. His tank is good which might be enough for some clubs to jump earlier. Personally I’d be only contemplating him with a late pick.

People were (rightly) saying the exact same thing about our finals record before 2022.
.....And it was completely warranted.

Doesn't change that it's true until proven otherwise. Many Cats supporters, including myself weren't fully onboard until the QF. Hopeful, and totally invested, but the trust had to be earned.

It's a trend that they have to rectify, just like we did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Give me Tholstrup ahead of both of them.

Could definitely see us taking him if we trade down.

Reckon Adel look to be the most likely suitor. They have apparently indicated they want to move up the draft order too. Not sure how desperate they would be but 8 and 25 for 10 and 14 is probably a stretch but 10 and 20 is not enough. Would require one of the clubs to throw another pick in depending which scenario you went with.

Maybe we would look at 8 and 25 for 10, 20 and a F2?

Heard DeMattia interviewed and he was very impressive. Well advanced leadership qualities. Articulate. Just wonder as with Hall whether they have the scope to be quality AFL players?

He reads like just anotehr one who woudl be good to add ...but is under valued because ...its a nown thing that this draft is anorexic .

I have read about the leadership etc ..in the article that mentioned him running the drinks at the the cricket. Talk to Dave Warner ...(not sure if thats a great positive or not)...

but what I like about him in the champs was he run of HB and his kicking. Seemed ideal as small def. Would be a good add with Bews nearing the end.

He reads like just anotehr one who woudl be good to add ...but is under valued because ...its a nown thing that this draft is anorexic .

I have read about the leadership etc ..in the article that mentioned him running the drinks at the the cricket. Talk to Dave Warner ...(not sure if thats a great positive or not)...

but what I like about him in the champs was he run of HB and his kicking. Seemed ideal as small def. Would be a good add with Bews nearing the end.

Looks more an inside/outside mid to me but who knows? He’s 185cm do not short. Certainly has some good attributes with his speed and kicking.

Will be interesting to see where list management go from here.

Stanley and Blicavs are obviously our proven duo, with Toby Conway the great white hope (and I am as bullish as most on him too).

After that we have Shannon Neale, who the club is most likely hoping to develop as a KF but is tall enough to ruck if required (also, recall the Brad Ottens trade many moons ago - came to a club desperate for a KF, ended up a 3x Premiership ruckman; things can change).

After that we have Joe Furphy, who is unproven - but tall.

That's 5 tall dudes to fill the brief, if required.

We're probably one tall short.

Id probably over supply and add two. Obviously even guys who are borderline AFL regulars become stars this time of year if they can ruck or play KPD.

The second best ruck after Read is probably that Edwards kid from WA... do we look back ian few years an look at his position and say bargain. Trouble is we have other needs. If we could add a ruck..like a Pike or or whoever as a rookie to groom then Id think we have it covered. We picked Furphy at 24 to try and short circuit development time required for a ruckman body...but is he actually capable of playing ? Adding someone like ZZTop .. or that type would give us coverage in both KPD and ruck.

Overall Im more optmistic than the general vibe... lets see what we do with the picks...the way Mackie was talking ...I not certain that the P8 and P25 is the final curtain.

Looks more an inside/outside mid to me but who knows? He’s 185cm do not short. Certainly has some good attributes with his speed and kicking.

I have not seen him play in the Coates leauge so who knows. I always think they flick guys around in the champs to fit them in. DMenzel played on the backline.

We all need to be realistic, Sav has been a whipping boy on here for a while and would have been shipped off ages ago if we were list managers, sure he has improved his game but if Port think they are getting a star then they are going to be bitterly disappointed, not only is he extremely inconsistent but injures himself at the drop of a hat, win for Geelong to be honest.
Sav had become a handy backup
Not in our first 22
Maybe an honorable draw ?

if you told me at the start of the year we would get 25 for Sav, I would of been happy with that.
Still happy with that. Tried to get a bit more, and ended up with some scraps.
Sav went in to the year as a backup CHB, ended the year as pretty much that.

7 players out.
picks 8, 25 and a crapshoot of late picks. rookie picks etc
We either go with picks 8, 25, a couple of the late picks and upgrade a rookie or 2.
Or we split the pick/s. Might have to wait till draft night for that to be determined.
Still think we will keep a spot open for a Cat B, SPP or mid-season pick.

There was no real talent up for grabs in the trade period and I'm just glad we didn't trade for a Shaun Higgins-esque type player. Or Jack Stevens. Or Mitch Clark.
If your trading decent picks /players you want go for untapped potential or proven talent. Not cooked players or those with baggage be it mental health, injury or issues in their private life.
We still might get a Scott Lycett or similar, but they should be a free hit as a DFA, SPP etc. You don't waste your capital, be it decent picks or players come trade time for those types of players.

Apologies if this has already been posted.

Mackie's interview a few hours ago.

Obviously watch it all... but if you take note from the 2:30 mark when he is quizzed about potential draft targets I get a clear feeling he is talking about Sanders and it seems obvious to me that the club has spoken about trading up for him if they think he will not get to our #8 on draft night.

I might be way off... but I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back