Rumour GFC 2023 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, this is making an appearance here also, and probably getting more useful as the season draws to a close and this discussion ramps up

If we were going to go for a backup ruck, I hope we it's Hayes rather than Lycett.
25 years old, bit more durable, maybe not as good as Lycett as a genuine ruck. But as the 3rd choice ruck, we ain't going expect a star..
He be there purely as a back up for injury, and to play a role...

Apologies if this has already been posted.

Mackie's interview a few hours ago.

Obviously watch it all... but if you take note from the 2:30 mark when he is quizzed about potential draft targets I get a clear feeling he is talking about Sanders and it seems obvious to me that the club has spoken about trading up for him if they think he will not get to our #8 on draft night.

I might be way off... but I doubt it.

Funny how we interpret what we hear. I got the feeling that depending on who is there at 8 . We need mid talent so if a player like Sanders etc is there then we take him.... but they might use 25 create more picks like the North later R1's.

I guess we find out in draft.

Funny how we interpret what we hear. I got the feeling that depending on who is there at 8 . We need mid talent so if a player like Sanders etc is there then we take him.... but they might use 25 create more picks like the North later R1's.

I guess we find out in draft.
I took it to mean we could use it with 8.
We might have asked for 8 for 15,17,18 with North , they said no but suggested 8 for 15 17.
Maybe we agree to 8,25 for 15,17,18.

Or we can combine 25 with out future 2nd to trade up on draft night.

I reckon Clarko is keen on having 2,3 and 8. Similar to Hawks 2004 draft haul of 2,5 and 7 - he won’t forget Roughead, Franklin and Lewis.

North will be keen to get our 8 and give us some of their later teen picks, perhaps all of them if we give 25. That’s a win win I reckon as 3 top 20 picks are likely to be pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So no player trade is over (and nothing really happened) the other thing that I have been thinking about is what looks like quite a lot of change in the coaching ranks. Maybe there is a different thread (I can move it over if there is) but what do people think about that?

I understand more change is happening as well (ie. another long term coach is leaving) so we would have had quite the turnover (and I thought it wasn‘t that long ago we did same?) - do we accept that now as normal or are we building do you think for future in terms of coaching? Is Stephen King being groomed? Any one with more in depth knowledge have any views?

I reckon Clarko is keen on having 2,3 and 8. Similar to Hawks 2004 draft haul of 2,5 and 7 - he won’t forget Roughead, Franklin and Lewis.

North will be keen to get our 8 and give us some of their later teen picks, perhaps all of them if we give 25. That’s a win win I reckon as 3 top 20 picks are likely to be pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

the psychology of Clarko eh shudder

will North make a genuine play for Harley Reid/#1 ? I think they will, not so sure if the Eagles bite though.

Just catching... several pages here.
But he's not contracted. If he doesn't want to be with us, then he can walk to the draft where he can go to Port anyway.

Pick 25 for Sav is fair.
Considering his position in the side, yes it is somewhat fair, but it's the fact that he is being offered a big contract that we feel entitled for more in this trade.
I have
Sav
Flynn Kroeger
Mitch Hardie
Ted Clohesy
Oscar Murdoch

As all still OOC.

Yet to see anything from club on them for 2024.

GO Catters
They will all sign on again, except Sav ofc.
I'd be keen on Sinn or Bergman. But I doubt they'd entertain that.
No chance, especially after Duursma going, they will lose their outside options. They reckon Bergman will definitely go to Duursma's position on the Port's board...
Pick 8 - Ryley Sanders
Pick 25 - George Stevens
Nope, we will go one or the other imho. If Sanders isn't there at 8, we will trade down multiple picks and take Stevens in the late teens (that will secure him) with one of those picks.
Port and us will likely be taking the last ~4 picks of the draft. Without the late pick swaps the order of those picks would've been Port, Geelong, Port, Geelong. That trade bumps us in front of them now. It's not much but it will sightly improve our draft position in the end.
Exactly, only if Port use lates picks we get ahead of them with the late selections in the draft. That's they only thing we could salvage on this trade, and I believe they played us like a fiddle here to maximise the other trades. Either that, or we were stupid and thought we could milk them last minute like Pies did with us on the O Henry trade. The problem there with that naivity in negotiations is that Port left all their trades to the last minute and then did deals before us, when we should've done the deal first on the last day. Reason being, is we got left the scraps after it all.

The Ivan Soldo trade was a complete rort by Tigers to Port. And we got left scraps in the end. We could've got one of those picks in the 40s for sure, which is way more beneficial on the night.

Tew Jiath

#8 : Ryley Sanders
#25 : Tew Jiath : Younger bro of Hawks Half-Back

Me thinks George may there at pick 70
No chance George is at 70, zero chance. He's not chook, he's an upgrade on Chook, and Chook when in the 40s. He will be gone from Pick 20-45 max. He has the body of a man, and an engine, and proven at VFL level. He also has leadership credentials.

We won’t but if we were to hold our picks then I’d go something like this -

8 - Sanders or Curtin (reckon there’s a 50% chance one will fall). If both gone next best for me is O’Sullivan.

25 - Hastie - he’ll land around here in the draft.

76 - Philactides - well regarded as a bottom aged player last year. Gone off the radar a bit this year but will make a useful small defender imo.

87 - George Stevens - reckon there’s a chance he goes undrafted. Happy to roll the dice on him this late in the draft if we don’t take Sanders earlier.
Zero chance George Stevens at 87.
Heard DeMattia interviewed and he was very impressive. Well advanced leadership qualities. Articulate. Just wonder as with Hall whether they have the scope to be quality AFL players?
Now, if we decide to ship out Pick 8 if Sanders isn't there, and get multiple picks in the 20s, you probably take ZZ and DeMattia with those. Why? Well, DeMattia has a great kick on him, almost weapon like, and he is fast, can play inside and outside and is a decent height so he could have positional flexibility to go say HBF or Wing.
ZZ why? Well we just lost a Key Position player, we are down a Ruck essentially with Ceglar out (even though we took a Cat B player), ZZ gives us plug the gaps options - Key Position and Ruck.
Does Stevens still slide despite his good 2km time at the combine?
Nope. 20-45 will be there or thereabouts. Honestly, could see him even go after 15, and it wouldn't shock. But 20-45 is quite realistic for him.
I took it to mean we could use it with 8.
We might have asked for 8 for 15,17,18 with North , they said no but suggested 8 for 15 17.
Maybe we agree to 8,25 for 15,17,18.

Or we can combine 25 with out future 2nd to trade up on draft night.
8,25 would definitely get 15,17,18 from North. And we might do that, because if Sanders is gone then we could haul in for sure a combo of ZZ, DeMattia, Haste, Stevens, Edwards, or some other sliders.

I tell you what though, when Sav is one of the big fish of the trade period it really is a bog average year isn't it
Or sometimes you don’t know how good what you had until it’s gone

The majority of the footy world thinks 25 is fair if not overs for Esava and I agree. Junk picks are inconsequential.

I am an unashamed Esava fan and I can’t make an argument that he’d be best 22 even if he stayed in 2024.

Good luck to him, I’m sure he’ll propel Port from straight sets to a home prelim smashing 😉
yeahhh.... this deal was insane. give a pay rise to the geelong list manager because 25 as well as all those other picks are WELL overs for him. geelong got away with daylight robbery purely for the fact port have no backline

His stats are average... hes actually BELOW trent mckenzie.. whos the guy hes replacing in the backline lolol
ALL geelong supporters should be going to sleep with a picture of Ned Kelly on their wall.... because this was daylight robbery.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clay Hall late dad played for Geelong and he has slid for some reason was all australian and played some games of 25 and 2 for WAFL premiership side peel league he has the body to slot in next year as well. If he slides get on board, at best he could be a Lenny Hayes type at worst he could be a Jarryd Lyons.

If we were going to go for a backup ruck, I hope we it's Hayes rather than Lycett.
25 years old, bit more durable, maybe not as good as Lycett as a genuine ruck. But as the 3rd choice ruck, we ain't going expect a star..
He be there purely as a back up for injury, and to play a role...
Lycett has at least shown competence at AFL Level, whats the point in adding a bloke thats not good enough.

Lycett has at least shown competence at AFL Level, whats the point in adding a bloke thats not good enough.
There's arguments for both sides, but the point is if things go to plan they won't get a game anyway. It's the same with the Tim O'Brien discussion.

Hayes may be average at best, but at least he looks like he'll be fit when required. Lycett may have higher upside, but there's every chance he's Ceglar 2.0 and being held together by duct tape.

When all we need is a durable, competent ruckman, then the difference in quality is negligible, and I'd be going Hayes as a result.

If he doesn't play a game then that means Stanley and Conway are healthy and performing, and that's a good thing.

Likewise TOB if we're still considering him. If he never plays a senior game for Geelong, then it means SDK & Henry are fit and firing.

Clay Hall late dad played for Geelong and he has slid for some reason was all australian and played some games of 25 and 2 for WAFL premiership side peel league he has the body to slot in next year as well. If he slides get on board, at best he could be a Lenny Hayes type at worst he could be a Jarryd Lyons.
I like him, would be happy to pick him up with one of our token picks if he's there.

yeahhh.... this deal was insane. give a pay rise to the geelong list manager because 25 as well as all those other picks are WELL overs for him. geelong got away with daylight robbery purely for the fact port have no backline

His stats are average... hes actually BELOW trent mckenzie.. whos the guy hes replacing in the backline lolol
ALL geelong supporters should be going to sleep with a picture of Ned Kelly on their wall.... because this was daylight robbery.
I disagree.

The facts are Port had us over the barrel and treated us knowing that this was the case. When interviewed on one of the footy shows their drafting person certainly gave this impression. Mackie had no choice.

Until Sav was injured he was in the top half a dozen or so players in the best and fairest and the coach insisted he wanted him to stay. He may not be the only whipping boy that comes good. He was certainly valued by Port.

Now have a hole to fill in the backline. Injury will leave us exposed as we are undersized. If SDK returns to form and stays he is the only one that can play against the monster forwards. We need another.

Either we needed the backend picks for a reason or simply wanted to save face. Lets see what value they are.

With pick 25 let's see if we can pick the best player in the draft.

We had no option and got screwed over accordingly.

Last edited:
The majority of the footy world thinks 25 is fair if not overs for Esava and I agree. Junk picks are inconsequential.

I am an unashamed Esava fan and I can’t make an argument that he’d be best 22 even if he stayed in 2024.

Good luck to him, I’m sure he’ll propel Port from straight sets to a home prelim smashing 😉

Did you notice that the majority oif the commenators on TR said they thought 25 was fair.... but most operated without much if any idea of what value P25 had in this draft..they just work on 25 feels about right with no idea on what or who is available.

Guys like Kornes and purple ..have no idea on the draft...so I have no idea how they can talk about whats fair in trade rel to draft picks. 25 might be the same nume but its only as good as who you can pick with it...

Having said that I agree that we had seen enough of Sav. He will have some good moments for Port and some that might frustraite. Take the pick move on and add someone else. Half way thru the year we thought we get less than the 37 offered last year.

I'd take ZZ or C Edwards at 25 and back Stevens to slide.

If he doesn't slide all the way, trade back in and pick him up.

Obviously we would have to pick a number ... as we do not know if he will slide all the way till he slides all the way. Probably get some sort of pre draft idea on who is interested. I like either and both of the players mentioned... I could imagine that if we did end up trading 8 ...and picking up late R1's we could have three or four of those types... probably gives us two long term 150 game plus types.

Demattia, Edwards, Reid, Simpson , Leake , Tholstrup , Windsor etc .... then if we see a player we like offer a Fr3 to get in for a Stephens or Hall ...or who ever it is we like. Im sure we will get a vibe on who we are linked to as the draft becomes closer.

I hope we do add some height It was obvious last year that Sav wanted out.. and having two drafts really only add Foster. I doubt he is a back man long term. So someone like ZZ would be ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back