Rumour GFC 2023 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As we are now getting into the season and we are starting to get a bit more serious with discussion, seems a suitable time to post the following as it's repeatedly shown itself to be a value reference tool in trade & draft discussion

And as per normal, thanks to Lore for putting this together - always a fantastic reference tool

And yes this post is now stickied - makes it easy to keep track of (can easily reverse this though if needed)

Because Conway needs games next year so overinvesting in the ruck would be silly.

The history of 20yo rucks coping full time on their own is almost nil (ironically only grundy himself ever did it much and had jolly for the 1st year).
Stanley is 32 and breaking physically, ceglar is gone, blitz is 32 and has just been sent for surgery.
And conway barely has a vfl tank now.
The idea that he can play more than 10 or so games of afl next year is fanciful unless you want to cook both him and the already cooked midfield. I agree we dont want to block his path long term (which is why ideally you want another ruck who can play a 2nd position).

But we simply have to get a ruck that can play next year.
The only valid issue in question is should it be grundy or a cheap option (see a late pick or delisted FA ruck).

Yep...that should be one of the priorities facing the Cat hierarchy during this off season. No argument.

If one of the three you mention in your first sentence were on the table though, it would be foolish to discard any thought of taking them on board if the price was right.

I think Parish is a pretty good player.
All I'm saying is we can do both. The game has changed so much in the last 10 years.

The idea that we should just shut up shop and wait 5 years in the hope that some kid who's not even out of high school is going to take us to the promise land is foolish to me.

Pick up young established talent, and bring in free agents while still taking your picks to the draft. That's the modern rebuild, and it means it takes 2-3 years rather than 5-6.

The Conway talk on here is bordering on stupid. He is 2-3 years away at best from being a dependable option for us at AFL level. Kids his size take a lot of time to develop, putting the entire ruck division on his shoulders from next year puts us on a pathway to disaster with him.

We would be mad to ignore Grundy at this stage.
Who says? You think he can't play as a 21yo next year??
Grundy played 19 as 21yo and 21 as a 22yo.
So did Tim English... Rowan Marshall the same. If the club has faith in him so have I.
On Grundy. We would be mad to pay this bloke $900k x 4 years at our stage.

He was very close to coming to us last year. Was impressed with the club. If we are still interested I think there’s a very good chance he ends up with us.

The club will definitely chase him again.
But sydney will hard with hickey gone as will port so it will be interesting to see what he does. Obviously melb will have a big say in it.

I think there’s a fair bit of pressure on the AFL not to make him available as a Kangas NGA. Ridiculous decision if it went ahead.

We should be moving heaven and Earth to get him.

High chance just winning that game against a half-strength Port a few weeks ago will cost us getting him (if Norf are not gifted).

If moving heaven and earth means losing a game in a cooked season... I'm ok with that... Lots of people aren't/weren't though.

So did Tim English... Rowan Marshall the same. If the club has faith in him so have I.

English was so terrible as a 20yo that he was getting destroyed. Marshall was the same. Both are great now but werent then.

Grundy was the outlier who matched it with older rucks at 20 (it helped that he had a huge tank compared to most 20yo rucks). But thats not the norm.

If you are expecting that from conway you will be disappointed

Unless they're good decision makers and users of the ball then forget it.
The history of 20yo rucks coping full time on their own is almost nil (ironically only grundy himself ever did it much and had jolly for the 1st year).
Stanley is 32 and breaking physically, ceglar is gone, blitz is 32 and has just been sent for surgery.
And conway barely has a vfl tank now.
The idea that he can play more than 10 or so games of afl next year is fanciful unless you want to cook both him and the already cooked midfield. I agree we dont want to block his path long term (which is why ideally you want another ruck who can play a 2nd position).

But we simply have to get a ruck that can play next year.
The only valid issue in question is should it be grundy or a cheap option (see a late pick or delisted FA ruck).
I agree with pretty much everything you wrote. Conway turns 21 in April, IMO if we get 12 to 14 AFL games out of him, that’s great.

I actually think that the ideal cheap partner for Conway is Stanley. He has been used both behind and in front of the ball, which might let us play both of them if required, especially with Ratugolea out.

What we need is another Fort/Abbott/Stephenson/Ceglar IMO - a mature bodied player who is happy to play three to four games per year.

English was so terrible as a 20yo that he was getting destroyed. Marshall was the same. Both are great now but werent then.

Grundy was the outlier who matched it with older rucks at 20 (it helped that he had a huge tank compared to most 20yo rucks). But thats not the norm.

English was getting smashed in the ruck even last year.

Lucky for me I stated 21 year old. Not 20.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're not adding Smith, Parish or Grundy.

Let's just focus on developing Knevitt (as an inside mid) Bruhn, Clark, Conway, etc plus whoever we select with pick 8 and let them build together until we get a couple of decent key forwards to go again in 5 years.
With respect, after the dozens of names we've thrown around in here haven't eventuated, I'm at a point where I'm not believing anything until the contract is signed.

The seasons virtually over and Parish is still un-signed, while the Smith & Grundy rumours are heating up more and more each day.

Until they're categorically ruled out, nobody's word but Wells and/or Mackie will be enough.

FWIW.. in terms of the 'where are we' conversation, if Chris Scott is talking a 2yr extension, I'd be confident in assuming that the club still thinks they're in a window.. and if so, long term strategies with the likes of Conway won't be their thinking

With respect, after the dozens of names we've thrown around in here haven't eventuated, I'm at a point where I'm not believing anything until the contract is signed.

The seasons virtually over and Parish is still un-signed, while the Smith & Grundy rumours are heating up more and more each day.

Until they're categorically ruled out, nobody's word but Wells and/or Mackie will be enough.

I think it's fair to assume that with our track record, we'll be getting someone (likely more than one)

High chance just winning that game against a half-strength Port a few weeks ago will cost us getting him (if Norf are not gifted).

If moving heaven and earth means losing a game in a cooked season... I'm ok with that... Lots of people aren't/weren't though.

I’d look at trading our first (7 or 8) plus X for GC’s pick 4. That should secure him.

Only Grundy was a good option at that age. Marshall and English both took longer to develop and weren't the dependable options they are now at that age, those two aren't good example to bring up here.

Maybe Conway can prove me wrong, but history tells us he won't. We would be stupid to pin everything on him from next year, and we aren't a stupid club.

Just because the club thinks they are still in the window, doesn't mean they will top up with 30 year olds. O Henry, Bruhn and Bowes were all inclusions that helped short and long term. I'd be happy with Smith and even Parish but would be a flat no on Grundy.

I have 3 daughters around his age and group set. w***er! Add Jake Lever to that one as well.... lol
Grundy wants his money and he'll get it. $900k is about $400k over for what he's delivered which is just average stats without being a game changer.
Too many folk think he's an elite ruckman, not me though. Couldn't even beat up on Stanley.

It’s funny how people have different perceptions and experiences, I know someone very well who worked a long time at Collingwood and said Grundy is a lovely guy , really sweet. Wonder what he did to make you think he’s a wkner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back