Review Preseason hit out against Dons and Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, but the effect is the same - we weren’t winning clearances - and I don’t think you can blame Bruhn if it’s Clark’s man doing the damage.
Except it was bruhns man also and bruhn didn’t do anything while in there himself.

If our 4th year mids we expect to stand up and take the mantle to lead us forward are blaming 19yo mids with no experience then let’s just wave the 24 white flag

Its why it was frustrating that last year at times we were short in the MF and Scott kept playing him in the back half. And then waits until the Dogs match to put him in the middle and no surprise its his best game for us.
I agree but I think Scott panicked a bit over our lack of class exiting defence. The injuries didn't help as he got lost in "plug and play" sub mode where he did a bit of this and that. From memory he also missed some games where our midfield was at it's most depleted.

But I certainly hope he is given full reign to make a midfield role his own - primarily at stoppages. Then he can still act as an outside midfielder on the wing when we rotate others through. He can offer plenty in both of those roles - that have a lot more overlap than defence/midfield.

Mostly positives from the hit out for mine. Especially Clark. This kid missed almost all of last year and is already showing heaps of potential. Yes still lots to improve but he an automatic best 22 selection now. Dempsey was very good also with his one grab marking to go with his speed and indurance. Mannagh also put his hand up so the pressure for spots will be huge.

I also liked Neale. Obviously still a work in progess but with Rohan to miss Round 1 (I think), I'd play him.

I love the high speed ball movement. It does put extra pressure on the defence at time. Kolo and Bews both start in Round 1 with Mullin playing mid feild in the 2s and but there will be pressure on their spots. MOC and Tuohy are others not guaranteed to be selected.

Picking the 22 will be really challenging for Round 1 and hopefully all season.

Also if anyone saw the first game please put some commentary up. Thanks in advance.
Not if Ollie Henry is back in though?
Dempsey looks good, so it would have to be OH plus Dempsey not Neale. We would be very top heavy if we do play both Neale and Dempsey with OH. Who knows what happens when Rohan gets fit again.
Everybody seems to like Clark's game, so it seems he will play rd 1.
It is interesting that all of Bews, Kolo, Tuohy and MOC have been played; MAYBE Tuohy gets the sub role. I can't see Mannagh starting ahead of these players for rd 1. Should we lose, changes for sure.

Rewatching today. Tbh, the way Stanley responds when a ruck free is given against him makes me worry he doesn't actually understand the rules.
I worry about anyone who purports to understand ruck infringements.

Bruhn, Holmes, Clark and Conway are all tracking to be a graders, if not very close to it
Depends on what you consider an A grader. I don't know how you can say Clark and Conway are tracking that way. Bruhn may become a B grader. Who knows if Holmes will be here next year. I still think we are short of high level midfield talent.

Clark will be nominated for a rising star award this year. Kid will be a star.
Dempsey I like a lot, but this year has too many people ahead of him (unless we get ravaged by injuries) Next year will be his breakout year.
Holmes off half back is genius, looked a genuine A grader, will be interesting to see how they handle the inevitable defence forward tag he’ll get.
Neale will make it as he’s an athletic beast… just don’t know if it will be as the key forward.

Depends on what you consider an A grader. I don't know how you can say Clark and Conway are tracking that way. Bruhn may become a B grader. Who knows if Holmes will be here next year. I still think we are short of high level midfield talent.
I have high hopes for Conway from the little I have seen.. but it is obviously very little which puts an a steric next to it. Bruhn really disappointed me in the practice match. He did very little the first half when Merritt and parish were tearing us apart in the middle. I was looking to him to See if he would take the game up to them yet he didn’t.

I would agree he is tracking to be a solid B grader at the moment, much similar to a Mitch Duncan career. Never quite an AA level, but a good solid reliable player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Put it this way I’m more confident in Bruhn than the others and the way I see players as A Graders is like this.

Stars of the competition
Bont, Daicos, Gulden

A graders
Steele, Neale, Cripps

To become an a grade ruckman is quite easy, just don’t get injured and take intercept marks

I have high hopes for Conway from the little I have seen.. but it is obviously very little which puts an a steric next to it. Bruhn really disappointed me in the practice match. He did very little the first half when Merritt and parish were tearing us apart in the middle. I was looking to him to See if he would take the game up to them yet he didn’t.

I would agree he is tracking to be a solid B grader at the moment, much similar to a Mitch Duncan career. Never quite an AA level, but a good solid reliable player.
Bruhn had 6 CB attendances for the first half. Goldy was giving Stanley a bath.
In the last quarter Bruhn had 6 attendances for 9 disposals and funny enough Goldy only attended 2

That in my opinion says more about Stanley than it does how Bruhn went against 2 experienced midfield stars

Not sure I agree on bruhn, and not entirely sure holmes will be a midfielder. But I love your optimism on it.
Holmes seems like the classic winger; Riccardi-esque? Although Danger, who says too much at times, likens him to C Judd.

Holmes seems like the classic winger; Riccardi-esque? Although Danger, who says too much at times, likens him to C Judd.
Holmes has Rozee type potential. The key word there is potential. But that's probably about his ceiling and would be an AA midfielder.

Bruhn was wasted as a small forward (a role he wasn't that suited to) for his first two seasons so it's a little early to say what his level will be as a midfielder. Holmes at least has had 2-3 seasons as an outside midfielder where we've had more time to assess him.

But if I was going to guess on Bruhn... somewhere between Atkins and Guthrie level. You can build a good midfield with these types of players. We probably need to recruit one more at peak age though.

Thought Clark was excellent, much better than I expected. Agree he lost a few clearances badly in the first quarter (also went to ground unnecessarily a few times overcommitting to chasing opponents who had won the clearance) but he improved in that area throughout the game. Otherwise very clean, good vision.

Would happily see Clark and Dempsey in the 22 but not convinced either play round 1 - the MC is pretty conservative - but should play more than they miss. Rohan, Tuohy, Duncan wouldn't want to have and patches of bad form.

As a 3rd year player last year he had about 100x the inside game of Riccardi.

Look back at any AA midfielder of the last 10 years and ask what they were doing in their 3rd year in the system. Holmes is light-years ahead of most.

Just for Geelong what were Guthrie, Blicavs, Ablett, Bartel, Johnson, Chapman, Corey, etc doing as 20-21 year olds? Holmes has most of them covered by miles and miles as a midfielder at the same age.

Would happily see Clark and Dempsey in the 22 but not convinced either play round 1 - the MC is pretty conservative - but should play more than they miss. Rohan, Tuohy, Duncan wouldn't want to have and patches of bad form.

This MC picked Jack Henry every game from his 2nd season. Same with Miers.

They picked Mullin and O'Connor after a handful of VFL games. They picked Dempsey a few games after stepping off a basketball court.

They picked Holmes for finals in his first year.

They twice rushed Sam Simpson back from injury for finals series.

They've dropped Parfitt, Menegola, Dahlhaus, Bews and O'Connor in the past 2 seasons

None of this suggests a match committee that is conservative.

He was better in midfield yesterday. You don't waste a gun midfielder at half back.

If Holmes ends up a half back it's because we've developed one of the all-time great midfields and we don't need him there like what happened with Enright.
Holmes will be our ruck rover long term.

Conway tapping it to Holmes, Bruhn and Clark is our most plausible projection in a few years without anticipating future recruits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back