Review Preseason hit out against Dons and Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tigers MF in its flag era has included- Martin, Cotchin, Prestia, Edwards, McIntosh, Ellis- hardly crap
Hawks MF in its 3-peat has included- Mitchell, Hodge, Smith, Lewis, Sewell, Burgoyne, Hill, Shiels- even less crap, if not brilliant.
Forget the names. Look how they performed. Frequently dominated in clearances and other midfield metrics in those periods.

Richmond went 13th, 17th, 18th, 17th in average clearance rankings from 2017-2020 for instance.

Forget the names. Look how they performed. Frequently dominated in clearances and other midfield metrics in those periods.
Maybe. Was that their ruck situation? Still part of the MF I guess.

Lots of good signs in this game for the team. Holmes, Clark and Neale impressive from the youngsters.
Our forward group is among the best couple in the league. And I think there enough to compete in the midfield particularly if some of the younger players can stand up.
Concern for me is down back, particularly small defenders and/or run from defence. Can see why they want Holmes to spend time there because the other options are not great.

Henry, Stewart, Dekoning and Guthrie are quality players and hopefully we can defend better with that group this year. But we’ll need to find some rebound and a way to defend small forwards. Bews has been a good player in the role but I feel he’s dropped off a lot. For some reason we’ve struggled to find players for this role for a long time.

Hopefully through O’Connor, Mullin, Tuohy, Duncan, Bowes we can find some support there.

Comparing him to one of the most underrated players in the competition over the last 10 years. I'll be wrapped off he's ends up anywhere near as good as Duncan.
If he ends up Mitch Duncan I think it’s a great outcome. More my point, I think he will end up a good midfielder, but not an A grade AA caliber midfielder. If you think Duncan is an inappropriate name then insert someone else who fits the description.

Duncan was a good player without ever being an AA caliber one.

You gathered that astute assessment off of 2 practice matches did you?

Might want to give the kid a little bit more time to make a judgement call, hey?
Kid? Who are you talking about, Bruhn? He’s been in the AFL system for a while now, and tell me who stands out in our midfield for you? All i said was it looks thin.

Last edited:
Our midfield looks really thin, Bruhn just doesnt look like progressing, hopefully we can get a full year into Clarke.

Bruhn's kicking early last year was a complete liability. Late last year it had improved to being ok. It's only a practice game so let's not read too much into it but his kicking against Essendon was elite. Good execution and excellent decision making. If that continues it's a massive progression and makes him at least a useful midfielder.

Hes a decent squad player because hes very hardworking and versatile (you need that in depth) but id be picking clark dempsey and mannagh ahead of him.
I had high hopes for him a couple of seasons ago as he showed some incredible skills in the Irish game. I thought he might be able to translate some of that into our game , perhaps as a big bodied mid type (not a just a tagger ) but he always seems constrained and a little lost when I watch him these days. Almost as if he is playing for preservation only. His ‘versatility’ may turn out to be a millstone for his development as he doesn’t really seem to have a definite role in the team and as a result is always under threat from up and coming players.

Bruhn's kicking early last year was a complete liability. Late last year it had improved to being ok. It's only a practice game so let's not read too much into it but his kicking against Essendon was elite. Good execution and excellent decision making. If that continues it's a massive progression and makes him at least a useful midfielder.
Showed some good vision too, which can’t be taught

Posted this in another thread but regarding Bruhn, this is his draft cohort. He's outperforming a large majority of his peers outside of guys like Gulden & JUH. All three of our guys in Henry, Bruhn and Holmes are tracking more than fine.

untitled-png.1917582

With the 666 rule you are going to have to boost the back half for center bounces and win a lot of one on one contests to be successful with basing a game plan on conceding center clearances.

Have wingers that roll back to support the defence after the bounce (which blitz is good at or stanley could be the guy if blits rucks), push one or two half fwds up so we still have numbers around the ball and use it by run and hand with numbers then streaming fwd.

If he ends up Mitch Duncan I think it’s a great outcome. More my point, I think he will end up a good midfielder, but not an A grade AA caliber midfielder. If you think Duncan is an inappropriate name then insert someone else who fits the description.

Duncan was a good player without ever being an AA caliber one.
Oh I just felt you're underselling Duncan. I see no reason Bruhn couldn't be as good though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tigers MF in its flag era has included- Martin, Cotchin, Prestia, Edwards, McIntosh, Ellis- hardly crap
Hawks MF in its 3-peat has included- Mitchell, Hodge, Smith, Lewis, Sewell, Burgoyne, Hill, Shiels- even less crap, if not brilliant.

Hes not talking about quality of player but gameplan. Richmonds was to concede to a degree centre bounce but then slingshot off half back with runners and massive pressure to force and score off turnover.

Hawthorns was to pierce through the middle with angled kicks and overlap run so neither team were reliant on scores from centre bounce or clearance.

Kid? Who are you talking about, Bruhn? He’s been in the AFL system for a while now, and tell me who stands out in our midfield for you? All i said was it looks thin.

Hes only had half a season as a full time midfielder and that was learning a new team and gameplan also.

Hes not talking about quality of player but gameplan. Richmonds was to concede to a degree centre bounce but then slingshot off half back with runners and massive pressure to force and score off turnover.

Hawthorns was to pierce through the middle with angled kicks and overlap run so neither team were reliant on scores from centre bounce or clearance.
Still, labelling those MF's as crap is incorrect.

Posted this in another thread but regarding Bruhn, this is his draft cohort. He's outperforming a large majority of his peers outside of guys like Gulden & JUH. All three of our guys in Henry, Bruhn and Holmes are tracking more than fine.

untitled-png.1917582

Yeah this shows it wasnt a great quality draft (at this early stage) outside the top 10 and weve done really well with what we had (considering we also traded for cameron).

Still, labelling those MF's as crap is incorrect.

i think you misunderstood the point. It was more they built a gameplan where they were consistently in the bottom 4 clubs for clearances, goals from ctr bounce etc, yet still scored at will. Which is true. In that sense the midfield in isolation was 'poor' but that was part of the gameplan.

i think you misunderstood the point. It was more they built a gameplan where they were consistently in the bottom 4 clubs for clearances, goals from ctr bounce etc, yet still scored at will. Which is true. In that sense the midfield in isolation was 'poor' but that was part of the gameplan.
I got the point, but he does insinuate, and state that we maybe forget the MF and build from HB, and have a an appropriate game plan, and explicitly states those 2 teams did it with crap MF's. No point going around in circles- we, in our own era, won games rebounding from HB, despite a brilliant MF. And ruck.

Smashed them from half way through the second. Coincided with Holmes and Bowes going into the centre and Atkins and Duncan going out. Could just be younger players going harder and older guys just cruising through.

Do you mean 3rd qtr? Bowes wasnt on the field in the first half.

Smashed them from half way through the second. Coincided with Holmes and Bowes going into the centre and Atkins and Duncan going out. Could just be younger players going harder and older guys just cruising through.
I've noticed people carry big impressions they get from early in the game through to the very end. So despite actually winning the clearance differential after the first quarter, it still "felt" like we let their midfield dominate the stoppages.

And because we had a stack of midfielders finish on 18-21 disposals we "lost" the midfield battle as they had two players share about 60 touches.

It's interesting if you focus instead on score involvements of all of our ruck/midfielders compared to all of theirs. We won that count and fairly comfortably.

"Long year ahead for our midfield" indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back