2023 Carji Greeves Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting to see how this Board voted in MVP's top ten compared to Carji

Seems we underestimated ZG who didnt make the top 10 (finished 11th) Miers was leading the MVP voting with 2 rounds to go but didnt poll in the final rounds

Stewart 762

Miers 694

Atkins 628

Cameron 579

Danger 456

Blicavs 408

Holmes 383

Smith 357

Bruhn 289

Hawkins 285

Interesting to see how this Board voted in MVP's top ten compared to Carji

Seems we underestimated ZG who didnt make the top 10 (finished 11th) Miers was leading the MVP voting with 2 rounds to go but didnt poll in the final rounds

Stewart 762

Miers 694

Atkins 628

Cameron 579

Danger 456

Blicavs 408

Holmes 383

Smith 357

Bruhn 289

Hawkins 285
Dangerfield, Holmes and Bruhn got snubbed by the club votes while Zuthrie, Close and O'Connor were snubbed by us.

He was never ever that good. Serviceable sure. He would often start games well enough but fade right away.
Our coaching panel would give him votes whilst the opposition didn’t rate him as highly.

Even on our own board we were surprised most weeks when Sav would poll in the coaches awards.
Garbage- he has received 10 coaches votes more than once iirc.
Anyway, we all have our biases, but Sav was simply awesome in the first half this year, our only improved player on 22.

1st - Tom Stewart - 135 votes
2nd - Tom Atkins- 105 votes
3rd - Gryan Miers - 93 votes
4th - Zach Guthrie - 87 votes
5th - Jeremy Cameron - 69 votes
6th - Mark Blicavs - 67 votes
7th - Brad Close - 66 votes
8th - Patrick Dangerfield - 62 votes
9th - Tom Hawkins - 59 votes
10th - Isaac Smith - 57 votes

He had a very good year - some Geel players their intensity in some games was pretty ordinary - but i thought Atkins gave a genuine effort every week

And from memory he had 3-4 standout games and played extremely well - with high number possessions

One thing id be interested in - last years GF - i believe there would be best and fairest voting in that game - yes Smith won the Norm Smith and Danger played very well - but i thought Atkins played a tremendous game - very confident - and good skill and decision making when he had the ball

Anyway, we all have our biases, but Sav was simply awesome in the first half this year, our only improved player on 22.
That’s the problem. He wasn’t our best in any game. I was happy enough with his output but the coaches seem to have an extremely large bias going on.

Improved off a very low base, yes.

That’s the problem. He wasn’t our best in any game. I was happy enough with his output but the coaches seem to have an extremely large bias going on.

Improved off a very low base, yes.
But 10 votes = both coaches, not just CS.
Maybe they value things at a deeper level than we do; well if they didn't, I'd be worried.
Like judging the quality of a surgeon by his car, or his suit, or his bedside manner, rather than the degree of difficulty of his tasks and the expertise required to succeed?

It was 10 votes only once

Fair enough. What was his second highest coaches' votes tally?

His coaches votes across the season:

Rnd 1 vs Collingwood: 6 votes - De Goey 10 votes & N. Daicos 6
Rnd 5 vs Eagles: 4 votes - Dangerfield 9, Holmes 6 & Cameron 5
Rnd 8 vs Adelaide: 10 votes
Rnd 21 vs Port: 4 votes - Butters 10 & Miers 7

He really didn't poll that many votes, nor was he in the votes all that often during the first half of the season - yes he had a good game against Adelaide & then added to his highlights reel in a couple of others, but not sure I'd say he was awesome in the first half of the season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He had a very good year - some Geel players their intensity in some games was pretty ordinary - but i thought Atkins gave a genuine effort every week

And from memory he had 3-4 standout games and played extremely well - with high number possessions

One thing id be interested in - last years GF - i believe there would be best and fairest voting in that game - yes Smith won the Norm Smith and Danger played very well - but i thought Atkins played a tremendous game - very confident - and good skill and decision making when he had the ball
Atkins only had 6 kicks in the grand final in an 80 point smashing.

there were a fair few ahead of him like joel selwood who was massive in the first half and stengle with 4 goals. Dekonning was also brilliant in defence.

He really didn't poll that many votes, nor was he in the votes all that often during the first half of the season - yes he had a good game against Adelaide & then added to his highlights reel in a couple of others, but not sure I'd say he was awesome in the first half of the season
For a KPD 24 votes in half a season is a lot - probably not far off Moore/Andrews levels.

Just as a matter of interest, has there ever been one single person ever who has signed up for a membership because it gives them the right to an exclusive livestream of the Carji count?

And, if so, morally speaking, should the club really be taking money from such a pitiable moron?

24 votes.
How did our other players go?
JC would have plenty in the first half year.
Danger also an accumulator

For a KPD 24 votes in half a season is a lot - probably not far off Moore/Andrews levels.
24 is the whole season, it was 20 votes in the first half of the season - so not a bad tally but it's also not the full story looking at just the vote count

He only received votes in 3 games across the first 11 matches, and didn't receive votes in consecutive matches - so I agree he had good matches but I disagree he was awesome across those 11 matches, and that he was a bit more patchy with his form & influence

If he polled those same 20 votes in the first 11 matches, but across 5 or 6 matches (so not getting the 10 votes against Adelaide), but more so averaging 3 -> 4 votes across 5 or 6 games, that would suggest to me more consistency in his games

24 votes.
How did our other players go?
JC would have plenty in the first half year.
Danger also an accumulator

Dangerfield was on 32 votes and in 5th place after round 7 - he was united in round 8 & didn't poll, and sat in 7th place

Cameron was on 34 votes after round 8, and then picked up 9 votes against Collingwood in round 22

And if anyone does want to look at the votes themselves, they're available here - AFLCA Champion Player of the Year - AFL Coaches Association Awards - AFL Coaches Association

24 is the whole season, it was 20 votes in the first half of the season - so not a bad tally but it's also not the full story looking at just the vote count

He only received votes in 3 games across the first 11 matches, and didn't receive votes in consecutive matches - so I agree he had good matches but I disagree he was awesome across those 11 matches, and that he was a bit more patchy with his form & influence

If he polled those same 20 votes in the first 11 matches, but across 5 or 6 matches (so not getting the 10 votes against Adelaide), but more so averaging 3 -> 4 votes across 5 or 6 games, that would suggest to me more consistency in his games
Fair enough. I'd say 20 from that many games is still abnormally high for a KPD as only the top 2 or 3 would surpass it. And surely as a KPD start of season he was ranked like 40-50? But coaches may have overrated him too.

2nd year as a KPD - there surely aren't many others that reached 20 coaches votes in half a season?

Awesome may have been too strong an adjective, but very commendable, given he's been labelled as spud, get rid of, hopeless, etc.
Looks like we won't be seeing him at Geelong again, and that saddens me a bit because there's something about him I really like.
As always, I trust our processes, and with Mackie there- always thought he was a smooth operator- I think we will make appropriate selections.
We may well have the basis for another tilt without any additions.
Surely CGuthrie, JHenry, DeK, JC, Duncan, Clark could not have repeat injury ridden seasons.
Clark and Kroeger could be like new gun recruits.

Just as a matter of interest, has there ever been one single person ever who has signed up for a membership because it gives them the right to an exclusive livestream of the Carji count?

And, if so, morally speaking, should the club really be taking money from such a pitiable moron?

By the time I attended my last Carji medal count I couldn't wait to get out of there. The raffles were so incessant you'd be forgiven there was a Best and Fairest count going on.

after weighing the pros and cons i was 49.5 percent for getting a membership this year and 51.1 percent for not. Then i realised only members would watch the carji and it bumped me up from 49.9 to 50.1 percent for a membership. All minor benefits count no matter how minor.

after weighing the pros and cons i was 49.5 percent for getting a membership this year and 51.1 percent for not. Then i realised only members would watch the carji and it bumped me up from 49.9 to 50.1 percent for a membership. All minor benefits count no matter how minor.
Did you read the whole of my post?

Just asking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back