AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Kilmore, Broadford, Yea, Calder
It's all over for Central Goulburn

By Mark Brown
August 10 2005
Shepparton News

The Central Goulburn Football League is on death row.
League secretary Keith Wellman yesterday confirmed the league would be disbanded at the end of this season, terminating a tumultuous seven-year existence.
The death knell was sounded during Sunday's meeting between the Victorian Country Football League and affiliate competitions from across the Murray-Goulburn region.
"We won't be around next year, that was the very clear picture painted to me at that meeting," Wellman said.
"I certainly wasn't left in two minds about where we were headed."
The meeting was held in Bendigo and also included representatives from the Goulburn Valley, Murray, Picola District and Kyabram District football leagues.
The Victorian Country Football League yesterday refused to comment on the matter, saying nothing was set in stone.
However, Picola District league president David McKenzie confirmed Wellman's fears.
"Keith was effectively told his league would be disbanded," McKenzie said yesterday.
"Where the (CGFL) sides will land is the next question."
The future of the league has been in severe doubt for several years, with clubs continually applying to cross to rival competitions.
Last year, Shepparton East, Dookie United, Rumbalara and Benalla All Blacks all applied for clearances from the league, with only the latter successful.
The All Blacks' departure to the Ovens and King Football League left the league with just seven sides and on shaky ground.
Wellman said it would be disappointing to see the league go under.
The respected football administrator has been involved with the league since its inception in 1999, when it replaced the now-defunct Goulburn Valley division two competition.
"It's been a good competition," he said.
"It's a fairly even competition and we're looking forward to a tightly-contested finals series."
The question now remains where the league's seven club's will land?
Wellman said it also became obvious from Sunday's meeting that the league's southern clubs, Thornton-Eildon, Alexandra and Yea, would not be forced into the Yarra Valley Mountain District League as previously thought.
"That's one good thing to come out of this," he said.
"There's a few different ideas floating around about where the club's will go, but you would have to speak to the VCFL about that."

Doona2 said:

By Mark Brown
August 10 2005
Shepparton News

The Central Goulburn Football League is on death row.
League secretary Keith Wellman yesterday confirmed the league would be disbanded at the end of this season, terminating a tumultuous seven-year existence. QUOTE]

Any guesses on where clubs will end up? Dookie to the Picola, Rumbalara to the Murray, Shepp East to Kyabram...Violet Town...Benalla and District? Yea, Alexandra, Thornton-Eildon...?????

Plenty of interest

Flat Track Bully said:
Doona2 said:

Any guesses on where clubs will end up? Dookie to the Picola, Rumbalara to the Murray, Shepp East to Kyabram...Violet Town...Benalla and District? Yea, Alexandra, Thornton-Eildon...?????

Plenty of interest

Dont think murray want rumba, and if tonny go to the murray, which is a pretty goo dbet at th moment, rumba will be pushing to get into the GV. GV want to keep tonny so they dont have to accept rumba, case could be made for the GV, if tonny leave and go to the murray, they then would have an even draw and there would be no byes.

As for Alex and Thornt, there was a suggestion that they will enter intot he Yarra Valley and Mountain FL, this is something that the clubs are not keen on though.

will be interesting to see.

Maybe GV Div 2 could come back!!!!!

Travvy43 said:
As for Alex and Thornt, there was a suggestion that they will enter intot he Yarra Valley and Mountain FL, this is something that the clubs are not keen on though.

will be interesting to see.

Maybe GV Div 2 could come back!!!!!

GV Div 2 wont be back, GV officials thought it was degrading to their name when it was a two tiered comp. Rumba may very well get their wish for GV footy afterall, with an upcoming initiative through the Collingwood Football Club mentioned by Eddie McGuire on "On the Couch" this week.

The biggest problem for many clubs is the fact the CGFL have fourths football, what happens to these youngsters when thrown into comps with an under 18's only. 10 years or so ago the VCFL was more than happy to say to Yea that we're forcing you out of the KDFL and into a new comp, nowadays the VCFL aren't prepared to flex their muscle and do it with say Nagambie and Avenel and keep what is a competitive little comp going.
No clubs will go into Yarra Valley, poor netball set-up, another vital ingredient for all country clubs.

If this is what eventuates, it's overall a pretty gutless outcome by overpaid VCFL officials if you ask me, and now as the article suggests they're refusing to comment, even after it states CGFL secretary Mr. Wellman has already been told of the fate.

a.k.a. said:
Whats this initiative Eddies pushing??

Unsure a.k.a. but he did say to Gerard, Mike and Wallsy their will be an annouoncement with Rumbalara in coming weeks.

Doona2 said:
10 years or so ago the VCFL was more than happy to say to Yea that we're forcing you out of the KDFL and into a new comp, nowadays the VCFL aren't prepared to flex their muscle and do it with say Nagambie and Avenel and keep what is a competitive little comp going.
No clubs will go into Yarra Valley, poor netball set-up, another vital ingredient for all country clubs.

Overall a pretty gutless outcome by overpaid VCFL officials if you ask me.

Doona2, were you suggesting the VCFL put Avenel & Nagambie into the Central Goulburn League?

I think that wouldn't be a bad idea as it would centralise the league a bit better in the south and provide some stability (ie. strength from numbers). Whilst it has been always maligned, I think the Central Goulburn League could have or could still be a good little league. If only a few of the clubs involved would stop trying to head to other leagues every year.

I would hate to see Alexandra, Yea & Thornton-Eildon go towards the Yarra Valley and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be keen either. I'm not sure Violet Town would be too happy to go back to the Benalla & District League either and that would just about be their only option of the CGFL disbanded.

...I await Eddie's "initiative" with trepidation.

Alexandra, Yea & Thornton-Eildon all used to play in the Yarra Valley in the late 70's, early 80's. Fair bit of a drive from the southern clubs in the Yarra Valley (eg. Gembrook, Belgrave) though.

TuskenRaider said:
Doona2, were you suggesting the VCFL put Avenel & Nagambie into the Central Goulburn League?

I think that wouldn't be a bad idea as it would centralise the league a bit better in the south and provide some stability (ie. strength from numbers). Whilst it has been always maligned, I think the Central Goulburn League could have or could still be a good little league. If only a few of the clubs involved would stop trying to head to other leagues every year.

I would hate to see Alexandra, Yea & Thornton-Eildon go towards the Yarra Valley and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be keen either. I'm not sure Violet Town would be too happy to go back to the Benalla & District League either and that would just about be their only option of the CGFL disbanded.

I'm not trying to suggest anything really, just saying I find it hard to believe the VCFL has truly explored every possible outcome. For arguments sake and for the sake of saving the league, Wunghnu and Katunga could easily slip into the KDFL, Nagambie and Avenel into the CGFL, leaving the Picola and Kyabram leagues each with 11 teams. Surely the big picture is to have competitive football/netball comp's, and logical travelling within each league . . . . or am I missing something.

Just my thoughts!!! :mad:

Doona2, if you re-read my post, I think you'll find I would rather see the CGFL stay intact and was pretty much agreeing with your post.

I think it's a good suggestion to put Nagambie & Avenel into the CGFL and one I hadn't really thought of before.

TuskenRaider said:
Doona2, if you re-read my post, I think you'll find I would rather see the CGFL stay intact and was pretty much agreeing with your post.

I think it's a good suggestion to put Nagambie & Avenel into the CGFL and one I hadn't really thought of before.

It's obvious the VCFL hadn't considered much either mate, fingers crossed a last ditch effort might save us. By the way, what comp does Tattooine Tigers play in!!!

Can understand your sentiments Doona in regards to the collapse of the Central Goulburn League. The VCFL have not made adjustments in recent years in your area to ensure the future viability of football. Clubs like Broadford, Avenel and Nagambie and selected clubs from the Benalla and District League could have been members of a revamped Central Goulburn League.

In regards to the future location of these clubs well who knows. I am sure they would be made very welcome in the Yarra Valley Mountain District League which is a very well run and very financial league. Netball is an issue but this competition has recently established a netball league which is operating smoothly and has been a great success.

Lets hope the VCFL sorts this issue out promptly and doesn't leave clubs hanging.

Doona2 said:
It's obvious the VCFL hadn't considered much either mate, fingers crossed a last ditch effort might save us. By the way, what comp does Tattooine Tigers play in!!!

They play in the Outer Rim Planetary League, in a galaxy far, far away.
Right out of reach of the Imperialist VCFL!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TuskenRaider said:
They play in the Outer Rim Planetary League, in a galaxy far, far away.
Right out of reach of the Imperialist VCFL!

How has Chewbacca been playing since being moved to CHB? Personally I thought he was good value providing a contest and bringing the ball to ground for the likes of Yoda and R2D2.....

Junkie said:
How has Chewbacca been playing since being moved to CHB? Personally I thought he was good value providing a contest and bringing the ball to ground for the likes of Yoda and R2D2.....
:D

By Mark Brown
Shepparton News

Rumbalara is one of seven Central Goulburn Football League clubs which are now looking for a new home after it emerged on Tuesday the league would fold at the end of the year.
GVFL general manager Eric Bott said Rumbalara would need to show cause to secure its admission.
"We've never actually shut the door on Rumbalara," Bott said.
"We've told Rumbalara that our clubs want substantial evidence that they'll be of benefit to the league should they come across, and that brief still remains."
Rumbalara first tried to switch to the GVFL in 2002 and again last year.
Bott said it was impossible to pre-empt how the GVFL's existing 13 clubs would vote on any application from Rumbalara to join the league.
Picola District is preferred new home
Speculation the Picola District Football League will adopt several new clubs next year and split into two divisions continues to mount.
Six of the seven Central Goulburn Football League clubs contacted by The News yesterday confirmed they were leaning towards the PDFL.
Only Rumbalara believes its future lies outside the PDFL, with a move to the Goulburn Valley or Murray football leagues favoured.
All seven CGFL clubs are searching for a new home after it was revealed on Tuesday their current league would fold at the end of the 2005 season.
Dookie United and Shepparton East are both adamant they'd be best served by a move to the Picola league.
"We think that the PDFL is our best bet," Shepp East president Neil Davies said.
"We have to look at what's best for our club and that means looking at our netball and our juniors as well.
"Joining the PDFL would also allow us to reignite some of our old rivalries with the sides that are currently in it."
Dookie president Chas Dickins sung a similar tune.
"We tried last year to head across to the Picola league," Dickins said.
"For a whole host of reasons we think we'd be better suited to the PDFL and it would allow us to go up against old rivals like Tungamah and Katandra."
Southern-based clubs Thornton-Eildon, Violet Town, Yea and Alexandra are less certain where their futures lie, but in light of other options, the Picola league gets the nod.
Thornton-Eildon, Yea and Alexandra are resolute on two points, they all want to stick together and they all want to avoid transferring to the Yarra Valley Mountain District League.
"It's a little bit up in the air at the moment," Yea president Chris Pollard said.
"Our main priority is that we want to stay with Alexandra and Thornton-Eildon.
"Those two sides are only 25 minutes away from us and we have developed a great rivalry with them.
"If you look at our gate takings, they are almost double what they usually are when we play anyone but those two teams.
"But we're quite adamant that we want to go north, there's nothing to be gained by going south."
If all six clubs are admitted into the Picola league next season, that would create a 19-team competition that spans from Deniliquin to Thornton.
The obvious move would be to split the PDFL into two divisions, one to service the northern-based clubs and another to cater for the southern-based teams.
However, that scenario is unlikely to please all stakeholders.
PDFL Northern Division
(possible make-up)
Deniliquin Rovers Mathoura Picola United Blighty Strathmerton Yarroweyah Katunga
Waaia Wunghnu Berrigan
PDFL Southern Division
Katamatite Katandra Tungamah Dookie United Shepparton East Violet Town Alexandra
Yea Thornton-Eildon

Some of the feedback from Shepp News readers from the above new article.

Brooke & Craig Thompson wrote on 11 August 2005
Don't they understand!!! The reason why the CGFL is breaking up is because no one wants to travel up the mountain goat tracks to play Alex, Yea and Thornton-Eildon, put them some where else and leave the PDFL as a league for teams north of Shepparton.
What about putting Yea, Thornton-Eildon, Alexandra, Violet Town, Avenel, Nagambie and possibly Broadford and Kilmore in a league? That would leave Shepp East and Dookie to join the KDFL or PDFL, a much better alternative I would say.
David Sinclair wrote on 11 August 2005
As with previous restructures the VCFL just don't get it! The reason Tungamah, Katandra & Katamitite left the Tungamah Eague when they did was because of the influx of Southern based clubs. Katandra & Katamitite, particularly, are dairy farming communities that would struggle to fulfill obligations to southern clubs and would eventually be looking to leave this competition as their player and supporter bases eroded. The VCFL must bite the bullett and place Yea, Alex & Thornton in a Southern based competition where they belong. Perhaps then clubs such as Congupna and Benalla All Blacks may even be involved in reforming the Tungamah League. At the moment the tails wagging the dog - the way it's been for 10 years!!

Junkie said:

Agree Junkie. I thought the big fella was good up forward. Strong leads and amazing endurance. Very much in the Aaron Hamill mould, putting extreme pressure on the opposition backman. Could tackle down a truck.
R2 had a blistering start to the year, out of a pocket, kicking 26 goals in the first 5 rounds. I believe since then he has been rotated heavily through the midfield, therefore limiting his scoring.

Back to the thread, I had a strong feeling CGFl was in danger a few years back, when I heard Benalla A/B were trying to leave the league. I think Yea, Alexandra, Shepp East, Thornton/Eildon, Dookie and maybe VTown should be in a league similar to the old Waranga, competing against Avenel, Nagambie, Undera, Murchison, Ardmona. (A couple of teams omitted from KDFL there)
Rumbalara to Murray league. See if they're any good in that.

The biggest problem is that you're never going to please everyone. It will be very interesting to see what they do.

Whippet said:
Agree Junkie. I thought the big fella was good up forward. Strong leads and amazing endurance. Very much in the Aaron Hamill mould, putting extreme pressure on the opposition backman. Could tackle down a truck.
R2 had a blistering start to the year, out of a pocket, kicking 26 goals in the first 5 rounds. I believe since then he has been rotated heavily through the midfield, therefore limiting his scoring.

Back to the thread, I had a strong feeling CGFl was in danger a few years back, when I heard Benalla A/B were trying to leave the league. I think Yea, Alexandra, Shepp East, Thornton/Eildon, Dookie and maybe VTown should be in a league similar to the old Waranga, competing against Avenel, Nagambie, Undera, Murchison, Ardmona. (A couple of teams omitted from KDFL there)

The biggest problem is that you're never going to please everyone. It will be very interesting to see what they do.
..oh well, as the old saying goes - why buy the cow when you get the sex for free

If they are going to split the PDFL into 2 Katty should be in the Northen comp, you can ditch Picola or Waaia to make it a more even comp to.
And with the merger of the Hume leauge and the CDFL their might be some clubs there looking at a revamped northern comp.

Whippet said:
I had a strong feeling CGFl was in danger a few years back, when I heard Benalla A/B were trying to leave the league. I think Yea, Alexandra, Shepp East, Thornton/Eildon, Dookie and maybe VTown should be in a league similar to the old Waranga, competing against Avenel, Nagambie, Undera, Murchison, Ardmona. (A couple of teams omitted from KDFL there)

Good call on Rumba there Whippet, see how they handle MFL before tackling the GV. I was at a meeting with the VCFL at Alex several weeks back and it was mentioned that when Yea was removed from the KDFL a decade ago, on the same night, Avenel was also voted out of the KDFL. Strangely enough the influence of one Avenel FC official prevented it from eventuating. Surely the VCFL could flex some muscle if it really wanted to this time for the sake of saving a league. Instead it will be rather unsettling to 2-3 leagues by turning it's back on the CGFL and placing clubs elsewhere.

Footy in the area had struggles to be balanced seince the Tungamah leugue dispanded, though it would be great for it to return, i cannot see it happening. All Blacks are happy with there new home in the Ovens and King and the word is Violet Town are pushing towards the KDFL.

Rumba pushes to join major league
By Mark Brown
Shepparton News
Rumbalara president Paul Briggs said yesterday the club would again lobby to join the powerful Goulburn Valley Football League at season's end.
"The GVFL is our first preference and our intention is to also talk to the Murray league about the possibility of joining their competition," Briggs said.
"I think we're ready to make a good fist of it in a higher standard league.
GVFL general manager Eric Bott said Rumbalara would need to show cause to secure its admission.
"We've told Rumbalara that our clubs want substantial evidence that they'll be of benefit to the league should they come across, and that brief still remains."

The Rumba players are a credit to themselves but after several incidents yesterday they're a long way off major league footy, and not because of their football ability.

It started at 9am when they attempted to deem the Yea ground unfit for football, because after the recent rains the cricket wicket area was muddy. How many footy grounds in the region don't have centre wicket areas? Secondly an incident in the 2nds where the Rumba goal umpire and a yea player alledgedly exchanged punches will certainly be looked at closely. And it was disappointing to see the untidy state of the visitors changerooms after yesterday's play. Hardly ticks in the right boxes from a club looking to impress for a crack at the majors.

Spoke to someone from the vcfl today who indicated,I thought, the southern based clubs dont want to head further south. Is there enough room for them elsewhere without burdening clubs/leagues with more travel than they already have.?

slim18 said:
Spoke to someone from the vcfl today who indicated,I thought, the southern based clubs dont want to head further south. Is there enough room for them elsewhere without burdening clubs/leagues with more travel than they already have.?

Mate its pretty simple, clubs wouldn't be looking for an out had the VCFL committed to extra CGFL teams 2 years ago. Cant blame clubs for chasing security, but had Avenel, Nagambie and even say a Broadford been put into CGFL, then none of this would even be an issue. Never realised it was further to travel from Shepp to Yea, than it is to go from Yea to Shepp, we do it without complaint coz we love playing up around Shepp.

"From Last Saturday's CGFL Record"

Had the clubs, who have persisted in wanting to leave the league simply taken a different tact and made it quite clear all they wanted was more clubs, a different picture may have emerged.
A league consisting of 10 CGFL teams would surely have solved the problem of travelling to the southern based clubs. While the southern based clubs are prepared to travel north without any complaints, clubs in the Goulburn Valley coul dnot have cared less in Yea, Alexandra and Thornton/Eildon had been forced into the Yarra Valley Mountain League.
So what does the future hold, same league, more clubs, different name?

Keith Wellman
CGFL Secretary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back