Central Goulburn League

Remove this Banner Ad

HJ32 said:
Great stuff Doona!
great to see you boys win. I was in quite a marinated state sat nite when I saw footy scoreboard but did see that you boys got up - I would hate to think of the mess Jonno Sol woulda been in over the past couple of days! Great to see Jonno get a flag after playing in some low sides over the past few years.

Word has it Jono was sitting back with a f** in the gob when his name was read out on sat? Can you confirm these rumours Doona?

The great man is always in a world of his own these days. Very funny man.

Cant remember whether jono was running a ciggy during the presentations, but to see him smile for 3 days was a thrill. To be able to share my first season of coaching with one of the all time greats of country football and a boyhood idol was amazing. Both me and Jono snuck off about 5.30 yesty arvo, dropped him off at home after a memorable few days. Cant say the phone's have been running off the hook with offers, me and Bill have been asked to coach the mighty Tiges again but are waiting for an official announcement as to where they'll be playing. There's sh#@loads of talk about an old Waranga North East set up - but we seem to be a long way off knowing.

Doona2 said:
Cant remember whether jono was running a ciggy during the presentations, but to see him smile for 3 days was a thrill. To be able to share my first season of coaching with one of the all time greats of country football and a boyhood idol was amazing. Both me and Jono snuck off about 5.30 yesty arvo, dropped him off at home after a memorable few days. Cant say the phone's have been running off the hook with offers, me and Bill have been asked to coach the mighty Tiges again but are waiting for an official announcement as to where they'll be playing. There's sh#@loads of talk about an old Waranga North East set up - but we seem to be a long way off knowing.

Fantastic, its always good to see the underdogs get up and win a flag. Lets hope the VCFL can get their $hit sorted and the tigers can have an answer soon. Would help with knowing the level of competition you will be up against in terms of recruiting.

Do you think the KD is a step up or down in comparison to CGFL? What about if the waranga north east was set up again? Would it be an even comp in the first few years or would you expect one team to be a cut above the rest? Obviously over time things would even out.

I can recal when Euroa and Seymour went to the GV from the old Waranga north east league they won flags. Would the scenario for Yea be a similar one with their expected move?

fat back pocket said:
Fantastic, its always good to see the underdogs get up and win a flag. Lets hope the VCFL can get their $hit sorted and the tigers can have an answer soon. Would help with knowing the level of competition you will be up against in terms of recruiting.

Do you think the KD is a step up or down in comparison to CGFL? What about if the waranga north east was set up again? Would it be an even comp in the first few years or would you expect one team to be a cut above the rest? Obviously over time things would even out.

I can recal when Euroa and Seymour went to the GV from the old Waranga north east league they won flags. Would the scenario for Yea be a similar one with their expected move?

Id be confident enough to suggest we'd go close in this this years KDFL competition, although Dipper and Tez Whitwam would know more having played their last year. I cant believe a push for an old waranga type set-up hasn't gained momentum - everyone is talking about it. How good would a comp be with Broadford, Avenel, Nagambie, Violet Town, Bonnie Doon, Alexandra, Thornton and Yea in it? Who knows maybe when Euroa and Seymour run out of funds in a year or two we could accomodate them also!!!

Seems the rumours of Murray League clubs blocking Rumbalara's move to the MFL were on the money.

Baxter protests plans

By Mark Brown
September 14 2005
Shepparton News

The chorus of discontent surrounding the controversial shakeup of grassroots football across the Goulburn-Murray region has reached Spring St.

State Member for North Eastern Province Bill Baxter has criticised the Victorian Country Football League (VCFL) over the handling of the restructure, claiming the changes smack of a "quick fix".

In a letter to VCFL chief executive officer Glenn Scott, Baxter writes the decision to force up to five new clubs on the Picola District Football League will have detrimental effects on the existing competition.

"On behalf of a number of football clubs in the Picola league I want to lodge the strongest objection to the plans outlined in this document. I do so on the basis that should the proposals proceed the Picola league will be destroyed," Baxter writes.

"It is highly improper for the problems and difficulties being experienced by the Central Goulburn Football League to be addressed by a wholesale re-jigging of the Picola league with the consequent impossible travel schedules that the changes impose."

Under the shake-up, Shepparton East, Violet Town, Dookie United, Alexandra and ThorntonEildon will all be adopted into the PDFL.

The new clubs will mean the Picola league stretches from Deniliquin in the north to ThorntonEildon in the south, a distance of more than 250 km.

Baxter said the changes would force the Picola league's NSWbased clubs to seek a future elsewhere and players from teams such as Katunga, Waaia and Picola to flee to neighbouring towns like Numurkah and Nathalia.

"I request that any changes be postponed until the 2007 season in order to give more time for a better outcome to evolve," Baxter suggests.

Even though the Benalla District League is in a different VCFL region, I still cannot see why (even at the least) the three southern CGFL clubs could not have become a part of the BDFL in a 9-club setup.

The revitalisation of the old WNEFL would also have been a good move - not a Picold League with the (current) potential for a club like Thornton-Eildon to drive the height of the state and play Mathoura. Would the Boners be expected to play 4ths up there at 9am? Thed have to saty overnight or start driving well before sparrows fart just to get the game started on time.

Bad move VCFL!

The Picola DFL thing is out the window after the current 13 clubs voted no to admitting CGFL clubs in - with the threat of disaffiliation from the VCFL if the issue gets forced upon them.

There is a scheduled meeting this week with VCFL chief Glenn Scott, the CGFL executive and members of parliament - rejuvenate the old WNEFL or somehting similar and lets start planning for 2006.

Dont think the Benalla DFL thing would be a goer, no junior football, and Im not sure on the strength of the netball set-up.

Doona2 said:
Id be confident enough to suggest we'd go close in this this years KDFL competition, although Dipper and Tez Whitwam would know more having played their last year. I cant believe a push for an old waranga type set-up hasn't gained momentum - everyone is talking about it. How good would a comp be with Broadford, Avenel, Nagambie, Violet Town, Bonnie Doon, Alexandra, Thornton and Yea in it? Who knows maybe when Euroa and Seymour run out of funds in a year or two we could accomodate them also!!!

I don't think things will ever get that bad at Euroa and Seymour. If they were to "drop" back to a comp like that, although it would be good for the competitiion to have some good players initially, I think you would find many of the good players would leave to play in a higher grade comp. Thus, the standard doesn't end up being higher, it will be lower, and it would continue to drop until it is at the level of KD footy. No offense to the standard of KD footy.

It seems like a logical thing to do for the clubs mentioned above, Broadford, Avenel, Nagambie, Yea, etc, in terms of proximity, it would be fantastic, in terms of rivalries, it would be great. How many teams currently in CGFL? Is 8 teams enough?

fat back pocket said:
I don't think things will ever get that bad at Euroa and Seymour. If they were to "drop" back to a comp like that, although it would be good for the competitiion to have some good players initially, I think you would find many of the good players would leave to play in a higher grade comp. Thus, the standard doesn't end up being higher, it will be lower, and it would continue to drop until it is at the level of KD footy. No offense to the standard of KD footy.

It seems like a logical thing to do for the clubs mentioned above, Broadford, Avenel, Nagambie, Yea, etc, in terms of proximity, it would be fantastic, in terms of rivalries, it would be great. How many teams currently in CGFL? Is 8 teams enough?

I always believed a 10 team competition, 18 rounds, top 5, or 11/12 teams 22 rounds top 5 was the best way to go...

The GVL used to be 22 rounds, 20 games/2 byes, will they look at going to 22 H and A games to even up what is a very uneven draw...

Flat Track Bully said:
I always believed a 10 team competition, 18 rounds, top 5, or 11/12 teams 22 rounds top 5 was the best way to go...

The GVL used to be 22 rounds, 20 games/2 byes, will they look at going to 22 H and A games to even up what is a very uneven draw...

I suppose things could change depending on what happens with Tonny. If they stay, you would expect things to stay the same. If they leave, you would expect the league to go back to 22 rounds and everyone plays each other twice, no byes - except interleague bye. Run the same length season as AFL. That would make it fair, no arguments on unfair draws (which is totally exceptable - Rochy were probably stiff to get the draw they did, but if Seymour, Euroa, Mansfield were at the foot of the ladder, as they have been in the not so distant past, no complaints would have been made.

It was fair enough though. To meet so many top 6 in the final 7 rounds is un-lucky, probably the best case to show how un-fair the draw is.

I Hope Murchison dosn't go anywhere, i was up their for the Murchison v Stanhope i did the goal Umpiring, as out association had a week of due to wimmera football league interleague game .
hope to do another game at murchison or where ever up there next year when we got a week off :) i loved doing it seeing diffent standard of competition :) love to do it at anothr ground :)

cheers

Andrew

As we enter October it appears that Yea is only CGFL club with a confirmed league to participate in for 2006 (KDFL). Any Big Footy contributors have any knowledge as to what may occur for Rumba, Shepp East, Violet Town, Dookie, Alexandra and Thornton - because all VCFL movements and announcements appear to have come to a standstill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doona2 said:
As we enter October it appears that Yea is only CGFL club with a confirmed league to participate in for 2006 (KDFL). Any Big Footy contributors have any knowledge as to what may occur for Rumba, Shepp East, Violet Town, Dookie, Alexandra and Thornton - because all VCFL movements and announcements appear to have come to a standstill.

Spoke to a bloke the other day who has a friend, whose 2nd cousins uncle happens to good mates with the brother in law of a bloke who works with the cousin of someone inside the vcfl very well informed of the movements for 06 and he heard the rumour that the 3 southern based clubs may still be pushed further south, over the hill, V/town into kdfl, dookie and shep east to picola, that was as late as last friday.
All BullS**t aside thats what I heard from someone inside the vcfl

slim18 said:
Spoke to a bloke the other day who has a friend, whose 2nd cousins uncle happens to good mates with the brother in law of a bloke who works with the cousin of someone inside the vcfl very well informed of the movements for 06 and he heard the rumour that the 3 southern based clubs may still be pushed further south, over the hill, V/town into kdfl, dookie and shep east to picola, that was as late as last friday.
All BullS**t aside thats what I heard from someone inside the vcfl

I eagerly wait on how accurate your mail will prove. What about Rumba, Murray dont want them and has said they'll join NSW football if the VCFL tries to force the issue.

it just seems like a bit of mess at the moment Doona. The VCFL Should get into gear because no doubt it will not only affect the mentioned clubs recruiting, but also what about the existing players, sponsorship and supporters who are all in limbo???

HJ32 said:
it just seems like a bit of mess at the moment Doona. The VCFL Should get into gear because no doubt it will not only affect the mentioned clubs recruiting, but also what about the existing players, sponsorship and supporters who are all in limbo???

The VCFL has stuffed this whole thing up since day one. Geographically things need a complete overhaul. We travel thru towns we dont even play in, and have over a dozen distrcit level clubs within an hours drive yet play 3.

Thornton/Eildon & Alexandra have approached the KDFL in wanting to join the KDFL next year (that will go down like a lead baloon for the likes of Girgarre & Tallygaroopna), but there's no way that we will agree with that, they'll go to the Yarra Valley Mountain District F.L, which would be better for us .

Although it would be better for us if Shepp East (or even Violet Town) joined the KDFL, but Yea's inclusion's a fait accompli, which I don't mind.

Would Violet Town join the Benalla All Blacks in the Ovens & King League next year ?, it not unreasonable if you look at it, but their future's up in the air.

Shepp East & Dookie look likely to join the PDFL, so they're allright comparatively.

If Rumbalara gets denied entry into the Murray League, don't be suprised if they end up in the GVFL, because imagine the uproar if Rumba finds itself being without a league, the race card will be flipped out as fast as you can say Jack Robinson, but despite that they need a home and as a sign of good faith, Paul Briggs should get his wish, seeing Rumba in the GVFL.

Wayde Petersen said:
Thornton/Eildon & Alexandra have approached the KDFL in wanting to join the KDFL next year (that will go down like a lead baloon for the likes of Girgarre & Tallygaroopna), but there's no way that we will agree with that, they'll go to the Yarra Valley Mountain District F.L, which would be better for us .

Although it would be better for us if Shepp East (or even Violet Town) joined the KDFL, but Yea's inclusion's a fait accompli, which I don't mind.

Would Violet Town join the Benalla All Blacks in the Ovens & King League next year ?, it not unreasonable if you look at it, but their future's up in the air.

Shepp East & Dookie look likely to join the PDFL, so they're allright comparatively.

If Rumbalara gets denied entry into the Murray League, don't be suprised if they end up in the GVFL, because imagine the uproar if Rumba finds itself being without a league, the race card will be flipped out as fast as you can say Jack Robinson, but despite that they need a home and as a sign of good faith, Paul Briggs should get his wish, seeing Rumba in the GVFL.

The race card comes out enough already - remember the letter they wrote to the Shepp News about bias umpiring during the finals.
Didnt think the o & K was in Violet Town's thoughts, and to send Alex and Thornton into the YVMDFL would show a lack of duty of care by the VCFL, but I guess this whole debacle has been poorly handled since day one.

The worrying thing is the VCFL seem satisfied John O'Donohue has handled this well, I reckon someone's gotta lose their job out of this because it's a complete balls up, but nobody seems to be held responsible for the demise of a league, and the uncertain future of many clubs.

Wayde Petersen said:

You're either a genius Wayde or you had prior knowledge!!! This letter was published in the Shepp News on Friday, October 7th . . . On the other matter, we did have a league but some clubs thought they were too good for it and wanted out. Would ******** meself laughing if a couple of the clubs had no where to go after pulling the plug on the CGFL.

You have to remember in all this us southern based clubs did as much travelling as the 3 from around Shepp - never realised it was further from Shepp to Yea than from Yea to Shepp. For some reason we never complained and we loved every minute of it - as will be the case in the KDFL.

Respect may come one day

October 7 2005
Shepparton News

I write in disgust that football leagues such as the Goulburn Valley Football League and Murray Football League are so ashamed of the Rumbalara Football Netball Club.
Why can't they be straight and say, "we don't want a black club in our league."

Let's be honest.

For instance, an angry league threatens to sever ties with the VCFL just because of its decision and claim it's an insult to be a stepping stone to go to the GVFL is ridiculous, but have open arms for Tongala that came from the "rock" (GVFL).

What are these leagues afraid of?

Rumbalara is a community team and very successful too, with visions of generations playing a game they love just like their clubs, and Rumbalara promotes healthy lifestyle to the community.

Rumbalara is only asking to be part of a game we all love, but apparently the Goulburn Valley and Murray leagues are too proud to be surrounded by Aborigines at a football match.

Keep trying Rumba, you might be respected one day because you already have competition.

Suzanne Atkinson (Mooroopna)

The nearly yearly ritural of change a league is off and running, this hopefully one day will end.

I think and I know it can be differicult, but it is possible to split areas up into regions which form the bases of Football League, this helps create rivally, like Yea and Alexs, these two have been at it for years, since the days of the Yea Alex league which was around back 1920s and 30s. according to www.footypedia.com

In an Idea world we would start off by hightlighting what are the major Cities of Country Victoria, Ballarat,Bendigo,Seymour,Benalla,Wangaratta,Shepparton

Using these cities, as a starting point, then all teams in the 5 or 10 neariest Local Government areas, could join a League, based on these Centres.

The juggling act continues

By Bill McCarthy

October 11 2005
Shepparton News

Kyabram District Football League will give three clubs from the former Central Goulburn Football League the opportunity to address all its clubs tomorrow. The clubs - Alexandra, Thornton-Eildon and Violet Town - are likely to seek entry to the KDFL.
The Victorian Country Football League has switched its policy on the two southern clubs, wanting them to join the Yarra ValleyMountain District Football League.

The VCFL had previously directed that the three clubs be part of an 18-team Picola and District Football League.

This proposal, both as an 18-team league and a fourdivision concept, has been rejected by the Picola league and criticised as unworkable by Central Goulburn clubs and other observers.

Yea has been allocated to the KDFL by the VCFL for next season, after winning the Central Goulburn senior premiership a few weeks ago.

Alexandra and ThorntonEildon made a request about two weeks ago to talk to the KDFL.

The clubs subsequently met president John Dunlop, vicepresident Sev Cortese and secretary Greg Watson at Murchison last week.

The KDFL then agreed that the Rebels and Boners could meet with all its clubs.

In the meantime, the VCFL arranged a meeting with representatives of Alexandra and Thornton-Eildon on Thursday.

VCFL general manager Glenn Scott and north east area representative John O'Donohue met the clubs.

The two southern clubs were told that the VCFL now wanted them to go to the Yarra ValleyMountain District league, which those two clubs and Yea strongly resisted at a meeting at Alexandra during the investigation period.

However, the two clubs don't want to go further south because of travelling, state of grounds, weather, outer metropolitan influence, lack of more than one netball grade and no junior football structure.

Thornton-Eildon secretary Peter Grant told a Central Goulburn board meeting on Thursday night the VCFL was proposing to stick his club in the Yarra ValleyMountain District league second division of seven teams, only three of which had an under-18 team.

Grant said none of the second division teams had netball sides. He said the league was competing against three other netball leagues in its area and he doubted its netball component would grow.

Alexandra president Ray Steyger said that earlier in the process, the VCFL said Yea, Alexandra and Thornton-Eildon would stay in the Goulburn-Murray region.

Steyger pointed out that the two clubs had to go to the KDFL and prove they would benefit that league, yet the other CGFL clubs had been placed in leagues by the VCFL.

He queried the fairness of this.

CGFL secretary Keith Wellman said that from the word go in the investigation he tried to have the CGFL retained, but got no support from any other member of the seven-man committee.

Mr Wellman said he would attend Wednesday's meeting to support Alexandra and ThorntonEildon in their attempt to enter the Kyabram District league.

Shepparton East and Dookie United delegates indicated they expected to be playing in the Picola league next season.

Lions okay, but not the south sides

By Bill McCarthy
October 14 2005
Shepparton News

Violet Town was admitted to the Kyabram District Football League on Wednesday night, but the league rejected three other Central Goulburn league clubs.
The Towners will become the league's 12th team and provide three football and three netball teams.

Delegates unanimously rejected a joint application by Alexandra and Thornton-Eildon clubs, presented by Alexandra president Ray Steyger.

They also passed a motion rejecting Yea, which was placed in the KDFL by the Victorian Country Football League a few weeks ago as part of the investigation into football in the Goulburn-Murray Region.

VCFL general manager Glenn Scott, who attended Wednesday's meeting, said the VCFL would talk to Yea about the situation.

KDFL president John Dunlop said Steyger put a very good presentation in written form and addressed the meeting, but the decision not to accept the sides was unanimous.

Dunlop said travel seemed the main concern of delegates in rejecting the southern teams, especially from clubs with dairyfarming families.

The VCFL plans for Alexandra and Thornton-Eildon to go to the Yarra Valley-Mountain District Football League.

Scott said the YV-MDFL would have two grades of netball in the coming season and seven clubs would have junior (under-18) football.

However, Alexandra and ThorntonEildon have maintained all through the process that they will be adversely affected by not having competition for their thirds and fourths footballers and some netball grades if they are sent south. Each CGFL club had four football and five netball teams.

Alexandra and Thornton-Eildon are believed to have a right of appeal against the KDFL decision and placement in the YV-MD League.

The VCFL placed Yea in the KDFL several weeks ago following its decision to disband the CGFL.

Changes were also proposed for the Picola District Football League to accept extra teams and the Murray Football League to accept ex-CGFL club Rumbalara.

The VCFL said then that any league which wished to appeal the decision could do so by September 30.

The KDFL did not appeal. The MFL lodged an appeal against Rumbalara being placed in its league, while Picola league appealed against being made a 16-team league, adding to its present 13 clubs.

One of those clubs was Violet Town. Shepparton East and Dookie United from the CGFL were also included.

Both appeals are due to be heard by the VCFL tomorrow.

It could be D-day tomorrow for several clubs - Rumbalara (Murray FL); Shepp East & Dookie (Picola DFL) and Yea (KDFL) with the VCFL meeting and apparently conducting appeal hearings.

The Central Goulburn League was a pretty silly league to start with really wasn't it? Don't get me wrong, there wasnt a club I didnt enjoy playing against. The travel distances were the biggest concern. Thats one of the main reasons we got out when we could, and we got to go where we want, not where we were put, as is happening of late. I would have loved to have seen Violet Town come into the Ovens and King League, it would be good to spark the rivalry up again. For all these people "worried" about playing against Rumba, they are a great bunch to play against, I use to look forward to playing against those boys, and kinda miss it now.

I hope everything works out for the best for the remaining clubs that are up in the air.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back